WarTactical542B new features and link

Started by gameleaper, September 05, 2013, 05:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

gameleaper

the newest version is 542B
http://www.filedropper.com/wartactical542bb

soon to be updated on the main site for WarTactical
http://www.freewargamer.com/tbs/wartactical-mini-site/

I've done a few things, The A.I. always had Road Bonus, now the player has Road Bonus, I've also added Negative Road Bonus for slow movement areas, also updated the visual HQ helper when you press 'R' . done a few things on the dash like displaying 'Fixed' on fixed units such as Artilary and MG nests.

the road bonus aswell as the negative TEMs and Negative road bonus, give all kinds of strategy, roads through woods, travel without being in contact with HQs.

anyway hope you like it, I think that's it now

JudgeDredd

I'm not interested in it gameleaper - because I am a graphics ho.

I totally admire what you've done though and think it looks like it has something. Have you approached anyone regarding publication? The idea being - if you get help on the graphics front - it could be a game for a lot of people (though I get not everyone is a graphics whore) - but it could push your game to the next level.

The fact that your images suggest you can turn this to different eras might be your USP.

I'm thinking Matrix/Slitherine may be interested.

I wish you luck anyway...it seems like you put a lot of work into it.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

gameleaper

#2
Hi JudgeDredd, thanks for your comments and ideas, I am hopeing someone will plug some graphics into it, My graphics are not to-good are they, I have been busy on the programing before the graphics, but I can say I think I've finished.  I know the game & I'm sure its better than some I've played gameplay wise. the actual editor is very deep now plenty of tools to create a scenario.

I've had about 300 downloads in the last 2 weeks, not counting thefreewargamer's sites downloads, so some are interested :)

JudgeDredd

Np.

Lots and LOTS of wargamers don't mind about graphics if the gameplay is there - and it looks like it is. I like the selection of pics you've shown with various scenarios and eras.

I would suggest you look for some professional help from a publisher. I think you've got something that could go further - but you just need that wee bit of push - the icing on the cake if you will.

Good luck.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

gameleaper

#4
Thanks JudgeDredd for your help, I wish some publisher would help, I've attempted contacting Publishers but they don't seem to want to get involved, it may be because they know the game from older versions, they ask for to look at screenshots rather than trying the gameout, but I have had a great positive attitude from them.

JudgeDredd

Yeah - maybe they likely want to see some more.

I think possibly the biggest part of your issue is the look. It does look like it's an old DOS game. Obviously publishers want to get money in the door - and they likely see perhaps that the look of the game just wouldn't appeal to a big enough audience.

Have you thought about Kickstarter?

I'm not being a great help here because I know very little about business or marketing...perhaps someone else could chime in with more knowledge than I.

I'll play it at the weekend and give you some thoughts...at least then I'll know what's in it.

It seems a shame that you've obviously taken the game to this level and it seems an overhaul of the graphical front may give you the presentation you need to get in the door of a publisher. Have you tried Matrix/Slitherine? They seem to pride themselves in giving indies a helping hand.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

gameleaper

I have had interchanges with Matrix, but it was a much older version of the game, I had some help but I was told they would not consider it in its then current state, then lately I contacted them and give screenshots and was advised to advertise on there sites for an artest makeover, but I must say Matrix have been the most help. 

JudgeDredd

I do think from a developer and a "mass gamer" perspective your game is lacking the graphical polish.

Unfortunately you are likely to bump into people like myself who regard aesthetics as highly as game play.

Your game sounds like it has gameplay there - and people are always looking for tactical games - but maybe now is the time to turn your attention to the interface and unit markers and the like.

By the way - I like the top down perspective and I'm a big fan of boardgame looks in a computer game - so there's the beginnings there.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

gameleaper

Thanks, I will give it a go I think, now the programing is complete. I do think that the retro feel can be good, but it seems not many :)

GJK

I would be up for modding the graphics but the issue is going to be with the size.  The pieces/tiles/chits are only 25x25px so there's not really a whole lot that you can do there.  I know that it is asking a lot, but if you have different zoom levels (with the current set the zoomed out view), you could increase the size of the map and the pieces and get some nice detail in there. 
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

gameleaper

Hi GJK, Thanks for the suggestion, but the game is hardwired to the current size :( Have you played Tacops4 from battlefront they did some great tiny tiny units I really liked them. I think it takes more design than bigger graphics do to get a good result, hard work I think it would be. if you look at the Rorkes Drift module The Zulu Leaders are quite good from a photo zoomed down, and the british units are nice for 25x25pixels. 

gameleaper

GJK I hope you do try and Mod the graphics, but don't do remakes do new? I just threw all the graphics in as I went.

gameleaper

#12
great news!
WarTactical accepted on IndieDB  http://www.indiedb.com/games/wartactical

file download
http://www.indiedb.com/games/wartactical/downloads/wartactical542b

also still on http://www.freewargamer.com/tbs/wartactical-mini-site/

I suppose I can stop advertising it now :)

bayonetbrant

never stop advertising for your own stuff - there's always someone else out there to hear the message :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

gameleaper

Thanks bayonetbrant, I will continue to advertise :) I'm happy with it now, seems like a stable version .