Fritz X strikes Roma

Started by besilarius, September 08, 2013, 01:59:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Staggerwing

Fritz X- The GBU-15's grandaddy.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

For unpropelled (other than inertia and gravity, that is). For self-propelled we'd have to go with Grandpappy Henschel Hs 293.

(Note the Fieseler Fi 103 in the background as well.)

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

mirth

Lets not quibble. It will only invoke pontificating from Star :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Keunert

fake fake fake!

read the history books you noobs. italy was an ally of germany. they did not fritz each other up.

::)
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Capn Darwin

Yes read history... ;D

The Germans developed a series of stand-off weapons, e.g., the guided bomb Fritz X, which scored some early successes. On 9 September 1943, the Germans managed to sink the Italian battleship Roma and severely damage her sister ship, the Italia, while they were underway to surrender. The first one hit Roma amidship between 90 mm AA gun mounts, piercing deck and side, then exploded, halving her speed; the other one hit above deck between turret #2 and the conning tower. It caused an explosion that threw the turret outboard and affected the boilers, starting a major fire that detonated the main magazines. 1,353 lives were lost; only 596 survivors, most badly burned, were rescued.
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

besilarius

Not that I would like this to have happened, but the Roma class had rather poor deck armor, making them very vulnerable to bombing attack.  (Reportedly, the designer was assured that level bombers couldn't hit a moving ship.  Dive bombing was not known apparently.)

Would be interesting to know how the Fritz would work against good armor protection schemes like Yamato, Iowa, South Dakota.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Staggerwing

Capn, Take (almost) everything Keunert says with a grain of salt. He is a bit of a jokester who sometimes uses oblique references and puns.

Right Kenny?  :D

GDS_Starfury

Those could hurt an Iowa or Yamato.  3000 pounds of guided hurt.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

Guide it through the deck armor and it would really hurt.

besilarius

Do you know if it had an Armor Peircing cap?  Or just rely on brute weight?

"With your eyes closed?"

Staggerwing

Not sure but Fritz-Xs were used to disable HMS Warspite. One of the bombs actually made through all decking and exploded against the bottom of the double hull, knocking a huge hole in it and putting the ship out of commission for quite a while.

Her deck had 3" of armor so if we add the thickness of the other five decks that were penetrated we will know if the Yamato's deck could have held.

Here's some folks debating the question. It's where I got my info from, including their links.

http://warships1discussionboards.yuku.com/sreply/174298/Fritz-X-v-Yamato

GDS_Starfury

well its 2300 lbs of metal and 700 lbs of explosive so Im guessing it was armor peircing.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

mirth

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on September 08, 2013, 07:58:46 PM
well its 2300 lbs of metal and 700 lbs of explosive so Im guessing it was armor peircing.

Guiding it is the key. I don't think the Roma was a particularly hard target to hit. Good luck hitting an Allied battleship underway and fully defended by AA and proper fighter cover.