AGEOD Civil war 2 battle planner

Started by mikeck, September 12, 2013, 09:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Rayfer

Looking at the screenshots on the Matrix site....is there any way to enlarge them?  They are so small that it's hard to see the details on the maps and info windows.  Am I missing something, can they be made larger?

Tuna

Matrix always has small screenshots.. they had a survey recently, that it looked like they inquiring how 'big' to make them, but nothing came of it.. I agree.. you want to see high resolution when checking out screen shots, to ensure that the game is a beautiful as your anticipate...

Looking at AJE, I would assume it's going to look pretty nice..

W8taminute

Quote from: Tuna on September 17, 2013, 08:17:31 AM

...I'm not allowed to use the Credit Card this month (cause we spent too much last month!)... So I guess I'm not a first day buyer  :-[

I hear you Tuna.  Save those pennies for next month!   :)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

mikeck

I think it looks more like Pride of nations in the graphic dept
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

bbmike

Don't know when I'll get a chance to play it but I bought it. I loved AGEOD games and this one looks awesome! And it's a 1gb download. There just has to be some goodness stuffed in there somewhere!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Grim.Reaper


mikeck

#21
I just played around a bit. I like the update UI and the new unit counters. Far easier to see what's going on. Also, for once the map scrolls smoothly!

I can't say I like the text graphics that pop up with the tool tip. Look very "ms dos" but whatever, it's functional

It has borrowed a lot from AJE in terms of decisions. Previously, you would just select "draft". Now you pick the draft decision and place it on the state area you want. Not sure if there are national options.

Also, there is a simplified supply OPTION for you console gamers.

If you have played AJE, BOR or even ROP gold, you will be comfortable navigating around. If you haven't played since ACW, then you will be a little confused.

The tutorials seem to be MUCH better than in the original.
I am a but disappointed  with the map graphics. The map is beautiful (as always) but the city structures and flags seem to have taken a step back from PoN. Just minor eye candy but it looks very dated.

As for gameplay, I can't tell yet. Some have said the Ai is good but a bit too aggressive. It is being addressed but playing with AI aggressiveness at medium or low should help

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Grim.Reaper

Thank you sounds interesting.  I could never wrap my head around the first one so I wonder if this version will click more with me.

mikeck

I think they have really made an effort to streamline a lot of things. You no longer need to draft replacements for example. It seems to have retained the complexity of the original ACW but streamlined it a bit. AGEOD games are complex and frustrating because you don't get a lot of help. They don't tell you why you can't so something. For example, you can't form a corp until some time in 1862. Doesn't tell you that though. Hopefully, this version has changed that.

They are worth learning because they are great games and once you learn the system, you can play a of them
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

tgb

I only played the first tutorial but I'm liking it better already. Having the interface and text scale is a boon to these aging eyes.

Nefaro

The counter art & generals faces look wonderful.

The rest of the artwork is.. meh.  Still don't like the sterile interface.  Seems more like they skimped on spending for art assets to me.

As long as the gameplay is solid, I'll pick it up at some point.   With AGE games, there is always tweaking to be done to the mechanics on release, and I still have yet to finish all the AJE/BOR scenarios anyway.

JasonPratt

#26
Behold the Matrix screenshots larger for whatever that may be worth!  ;D















ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

I have to say, I'm not real fond of how the territory divisions are represented in this game, and some of those ocean divisions make no sense to me at all.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Rayfer

Well done JasonPratt....thanks!  Matrix should take a lesson from this by enabling these larger screenshots; you can actually see what you are thinking about purchasing.  I absolutely love the new look of the maps and counters...can't wait to get into this one.

MengJiao

Quote from: mikeck on September 17, 2013, 06:40:53 PM
I think they have really made an effort to streamline a lot of things. You no longer need to draft replacements for example. It seems to have retained the complexity of the original ACW but streamlined it a bit. AGEOD games are complex and frustrating because you don't get a lot of help. They don't tell you why you can't so something. For example, you can't form a corp until some time in 1862. Doesn't tell you that though. Hopefully, this version has changed that.

They are worth learning because they are great games and once you learn the system, you can play a of them

  I don't know why the North can't form corps til 1862, but for the South, Jeff Davis did not want to give that much authority to Army commanders like Johnson and Beauregard.  In fact it appears that Lee to some degree had to sneak his Corps (well just 2: Jackson and Longstreet) into being.