US Overture to Iran

Started by LongBlade, September 29, 2013, 09:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keunert

those situations aren't comparable. Israel is a powerfull nation with one of the worlds best armies, nuclear warheads and powerful allies.
an attack on them, nuclear or not will trigger an international reaction that will end Iran's regime. attacking Israel is a suicide mission.
you may be able to destroy most of it if they let you strike first but you will be destroyed too.

that is of course easily said by a european in a safe zone. but i have some hope that those talks will lead to some form of de - escalation. the us and israel  will surely keep their watch up. but maybe Iran could change in their nuclear weapons program for an economical relaxation and economic growth. that could strengthen the regime after years of stagnation.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

LongBlade

Quote from: Keunert on September 30, 2013, 04:03:24 PM
those situations aren't comparable.

Iran is the largest state sponsor of terror on the planet.

Personally I wouldn't bet my life on that assumption.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: LongBlade on September 30, 2013, 02:49:41 PM
Quote from: Keunert on September 30, 2013, 01:50:23 PM
why would Iran nuke Israel? do you believe their bs talk? why would a cleric tyranny chose to destruct itself?

Do a search on 13th imam and Iran.

The simple answer is: why shouldn't we take them at their word? Why would they say something they didn't mean? We need only look back in history a few decades to find someone scapegoating Jews for their problems. That turned out not to be idle banter.

Just look prior to the beginning of WWII to see cHamberlain refusing to believe Hitler was going to do the shit he was talking about. That is a very bad mistake to ever repeat. That is why I thout Amajad was so dangerous when he did his 'wipe off the map' speech.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

GDS_Starfury

well Israels position is now firmly stated.  not a bad speech at all.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

LongBlade

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 01, 2013, 11:40:48 AM
well Israels position is now firmly stated.  not a bad speech at all.

Contrast that with the clear lies the Iranians have been telling: they have no nuke weapons programs.

I guess it's still OK to talk, but the Iranians must immediately speak truthfully or it's not worth the bother. I'd give them 30 seconds to admit what they're up to and walk away if they failed. End of story.

Keunert

everybody is lying in diplomatics. there are many lives on the plate here no harm in talking. the us and israel will stay as alerted as ever.
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative.
Oscar Wilde

Special K has too much class.
Windigo

Windigo

Quote from: Centurion40 on September 30, 2013, 12:33:24 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on September 30, 2013, 12:22:55 PM
Quote from: Centurion40 on September 30, 2013, 11:53:48 AM
So long as he isn't surrounded by a cadre of yes-men (and women), then there is no need to worry.

Seriously? That's his biggest problem. He thinks he's the smartest guy in the room.

Wouldn't the top bureaucrat (I mean the one who earned their job, not one the one who won a popularity contest and got elected/appointed) in the State Department be able to inject some stable balance?

most of them are actually marines, or they work for NASA or the NOAA
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Windigo

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 02, 2013, 11:06:26 PM
who?

slight dig at LB... let him explain what NOAA is... if he can type and not throw up in his mouth at the same time

GDS_Starfury

Im a Floridian (blah), I know who NOAA are.  theyre the dipshits that keep messing up hurricane forecasts.

LongBlade

Quote from: Windigo on October 02, 2013, 11:41:21 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 02, 2013, 11:06:26 PM
who?

slight dig at LB... let him explain what NOAA is... if he can type and not throw up in his mouth at the same time

<chuckle>

Windigo

SEE! I can be respectful... and funny about someone else's opinions ....

LongBlade

File this under "tell us how you really feel"...

QuoteDuring a panel at Yeshiva University on Tuesday evening, Sheldon Adelson, noted businessman and owner of the newspaper Israel Hayom, suggested that the US should use nuclear weapons on Iran to impose its demands from a position of strength.

Asked by moderator Rabbi Shmuley Boteach whether the US should negotiate with Iran if it were to cease its uranium enrichment program, Adelson retorted, "What are we going to negotiate about?"

Adelson then imagined what might happen if an American official were to call up an Iranian official, say "watch this," and subsequently drop a nuclear bomb in the middle of the Iranian desert.

"Then you say, 'See! The next one is in the middle of Tehran. So, we mean business. You want to be wiped out? Go ahead and take a tough position and continue with your nuclear development. You want to be peaceful? Just reverse it all, and we will guarantee you that you can have a nuclear power plant for electricity purposes, energy purposes'," Adelson said

Source: http://www.jpost.com/Diplomacy-and-Politics/Adelson-US-should-drop-atomic-bomb-on-Iran-329641

Dolan50

Ha,
That's too funny!

Maybe we should drop a few nukes in the middle of the Sinai and tell the Arabs and Israel that if you don't play nice we will wipe you all out.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

GDS_Starfury

wont work with Israel as they have nuclear armed subs.