Main Menu

CMBN Market-Garden

Started by Bismarck, October 11, 2013, 06:04:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 15, 2014, 07:44:12 AM
I bought beyond Normandy and common wealth forces on release, but never really played much. I skipped fortress Italy altogether. I got market garden and these battles really brought me back to the game. Been playing regularly ever since.

That's exactly been my progression too....so sounds like MG might rekindle that spirit for me too...thanks.

Grim.Reaper

I meant to ask this question too....how do people tend to play, real time or we-go?  Although I like real time so you can adjust things, I just find it very difficult to review the whole battlefield and control all the troops, especially if playing on anything but small level.

Sir Slash

Exactly Reaper. I play We-Go always to re-wind the turns and see where the hell that shot that took out my Sherman came from. Otherwise I feel like I'm just feeding my troops to the game. I've played all the WW2 games but MG but will get it soon and RT but right now, I'm so behind playing the games, it'll be months before I'm ready to get to Arnhem.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

z1812

Some people reserve RT for small scenarios and wego for the larger ones.

I always play wego. It is fun to review past action and see all the dramatic moments.

Skoop

I only play RT, I like the idea of wego, but I prefer the control of RT.  Big scenarios do get frantic and you burn through time, I usually pause constantly every 20 sec and review the battlefield.  RT urban fighting is way more effective because you can make instant adjustments instead of waiting a minute. 
  Playing through road to Nijmegen myself, it's a blast.  The designer built in a 3hr play time limit if you loose two consecutive battles as a player aid.  Cm with unlimited time is a dream, slow, methodical, and tactical.

Grim.Reaper

Just curious about we-go and it handles things in the newer versions.....if you setup a plan for 60 seconds, does your troops follow the exact plan regardless of changing battlefield conditions or will they improvise is something happens along the way?  For example, if you issue a movement order but they run into a big group of soldiers, will they run away or engage on their own, even if you didn't order them to do so?

MengJiao

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 15, 2014, 09:32:44 AM
I meant to ask this question too....how do people tend to play, real time or we-go?  Although I like real time so you can adjust things, I just find it very difficult to review the whole battlefield and control all the troops, especially if playing on anything but small level.

  I like real time because you are never quite sure what is going on and when you go to say rescue a crew that bailed out in enemy territory, you come back and find plenty of inexplicable things have happened.  You can pause of course and look around, but I prefer to get sucked into a small part of the battle and be surprised by impinging events.

Father Ted

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 15, 2014, 12:51:13 PM
Just curious about we-go and it handles things in the newer versions.....if you setup a plan for 60 seconds, does your troops follow the exact plan regardless of changing battlefield conditions or will they improvise is something happens along the way?  For example, if you issue a movement order but they run into a big group of soldiers, will they run away or engage on their own, even if you didn't order them to do so?

Your troops will react, sometimes for better and sometimes for worse.  You can mitigate for this slightly by setting way-points, where they will pause and look around before proceeding.  One major tip is to set all your troops with short, circular firing arcs.  This stops them opening fire on the first enemy they see, giving their position away.

One of the main challenges I find in the game is getting the all-important artillery spotters into a position where they can see a significant amount of enemy-occupied ground, but aren't themselves visible.  I managed to do that in the battle I'm fighting currently - they had a great view of lots of tanks and ATGs from a copse.  Then I "crawled" a sniper team into the same spot, so that they could wreak some havoc at a later date.  However I forgot to limit the latter's field of fire and they immediately opened up on an 88, resulting in return fire from said gun and a couple of Panthers.  Spotter and snipers now casualties, plus the only decent covered vantage point for trying to land arty on the defences is blown.

z1812

One of the joys of Combat Mission is scouting and sneaking about to find the best positions for observation and approach.

Grim.Reaper

Thanks for all the information guys....