Galactic Civilizations III trailer!!

Started by Martok, October 15, 2013, 11:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

FlickJax

i still might have to go for it; I have bought a few early access games now but i tend to take a peak and then wait for full release before playing though.

tgb

Quote from: mikeck on August 14, 2014, 07:43:37 AM
Yeah. Last few years it seems like the definition of "Beta" had changed. Didn't it used to mean a game that was featured complete but needed to be bug and play tested?  Now games are marketed as beta versions that have l half the planned content

According to the developer's playthrough I just watched, the next build is supposed to have everything but the campaign (which I never play anyway) and new combat animation.  They are shooting for October.  I think I'll wait for that one.

Shelldrake

Quote from: tgb on August 14, 2014, 08:33:04 AM
Quote from: mikeck on August 14, 2014, 07:43:37 AM
Yeah. Last few years it seems like the definition of "Beta" had changed. Didn't it used to mean a game that was featured complete but needed to be bug and play tested?  Now games are marketed as beta versions that have l half the planned content

According to the developer's playthrough I just watched, the next build is supposed to have everything but the campaign (which I never play anyway) and new combat animation.  They are shooting for October.  I think I'll wait for that one.

Me too!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Jarhead0331

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/226860/discussions/1/35221031522303124/

In my opinion, with two major content updates incoming through December 2014, GCIII is not in beta state presently. I think its bad form for the devs to claim this is in beta state.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


sandman2575

I'm also surprised at just how much this still looks like its predecessor, Gal Civ II.  Honestly, if I had just seen those screenshots on Steam without any label, I would absolutely have assumed it was Gal Civ II.  The Gal Civ III trailer seems to promise much bigger, much more impressive changes from the former game, but even if this is still in (pre)Beta, I just don't see how III is going to be much of an advance/improvement over II... -- ?

sandman2575

Quote from: mikeck on August 14, 2014, 07:43:37 AM
Yeah. Last few years it seems like the definition of "Beta" had changed. Didn't it used to mean a game that was featured complete but needed to be bug and play tested?  Now games are marketed as beta versions that have l half the planned content

Agree.  I don't think Jarhead is barking up the wrong tree in his Steam thread.  The criteria of "Beta" used to be pretty standardized.  But it seems the rise of "Early Access" is blurring these distinctions.  Who knows, maybe in a few years devs won't even speak of "alpha" or "beta" stage anymore. They are clearly making their own decisions about what constitutes 'sufficient content' for "Early Access" these days, and those decisions vary pretty widely --

Huw the Poo

Quote from: sandman2575 on August 14, 2014, 11:17:19 AM
I'm also surprised at just how much this still looks like its predecessor, Gal Civ II.  Honestly, if I had just seen those screenshots on Steam without any label, I would absolutely have assumed it was Gal Civ II.  The Gal Civ III trailer seems to promise much bigger, much more impressive changes from the former game, but even if this is still in (pre)Beta, I just don't see how III is going to be much of an advance/improvement over II... -- ?

Christ, you're not wrong!  I just had a quick look and it does look like GalCiv 2 doesn't it?

Along with the fact that this will almost certainly not be available on Linux, I'm probably not going to buy it after all now.

Anguille

At this point, i am still very underwehlmed by what i see... :(

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Anguille on August 14, 2014, 01:39:19 PM
At this point, i am still very underwehlmed by what i see... :(

That says a lot coming from you.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


BanzaiCat

I have GCII: Ultimate Edition and it's a pretty decent game, but no way in hell I'm buying GCIII if it looks and plays just like II. Hopefully those features/updated they intend to implement later this year come to fruition and change that perspective.

I'm not usually one to buy 'early access' games, though I do on very rare occasion. This won't be one of them. As was mentioned, the trailer sure promises a lot, but so far, the game itself doesn't seem to be living up to those expectations. The input in this thread seems to be corroborating that.

If that trailer is the end-all goal, then pffft, hell yes I'll buy it. But only when it is at that level. I'd rather play it complete than something that has missing parts, like getting an Aston Martin without an engine, or wheels, or seats, or windows. Fie and pox on that.

Perceptions out there do seem to vary widely on what a beta is, exactly, despite the actual definition of it. I'm grammar geek enough to get uncomfortable when people use words the way they aren't defined, or intended.

Martok

Quote from: Anguille on August 14, 2014, 01:39:19 PM
At this point, i am still very underwehlmed by what i see... :(
I have to admit that I too have been singularly unimpressed with what I've seen of GalCiv3 so far. 

With the exception of switching from tiles to hexes, the game looks identical to its predecessor.  Nor do any of the new features or gameplay changes/additions appear to significantly alter and/or improve upon the previous iteration in any meaningful way. 



I think I'm just gonna stop announcing new 4x titles.  Almost every time I do, I end up jinxing them...  :-[ 




Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 14, 2014, 10:59:13 AM
Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/226860/discussions/1/35221031522303124/

In my opinion, with two major content updates incoming through December 2014, GCIII is not in beta state presently. I think its bad form for the devs to claim this is in beta state.
No, I'm right with you on that, Jarhead.  GC3 is still in an alpha state, not a beta.  A very playable alpha, perhaps (although I can't vouch for that), but an alpha nonetheless. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Bison

Brave man Jarhead.  I find the community interaction on Steam game forums to generally falls into two types of posters: the perpetual hate everything crowd or the unswayable "there's nothing to see here" fanboys.

If I'm not mistaken this early release follows the same type of schedule as Fallen Enchantress where there was an extended pay to participate "Beta" that really should be called an "Alpha" phase.

As far as the game is concerned, I'll buy it eventually.  Turn based, 4X game; it's one of my favorite genres.

RooksBailey

#72
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 14, 2014, 10:59:13 AM
Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/226860/discussions/1/35221031522303124/

In my opinion, with two major content updates incoming through December 2014, GCIII is not in beta state presently. I think its bad form for the devs to claim this is in beta state.

I read your posts and you deserve a pat on the back for making a stand on the isssue.  You are exactly right.  I even recall Mr. Wardell himself explaining that alpha was feature uncomplete, while beta is feature complete.  So it is a bit disappointing to see even Stardock jumping on the "hype beta" bandwagon.   

Eh, as I've said elsewhere, gaming just seems to becoming increasingly disreputable.  Nothing is what it seems anymore, and even the industry professionals are throwing all standards out the window as fast as possible.  This isn't going to end well, of course.  I have cut back on purchases quite a bit, and of those I do buy, I usually wait more than a few months for some worthwhile sale before grabbing it.  I know others are doing the same.  I just have very little trust in the industry anymore.  Hence, I am not willing to risk my money by taking that blind leap into the unknown with a Day 1 purchase (or an "early access" title, for that matter).  And even if the game is tolerably good,  I am now so down on the industry that I can't bring myself to reward a dev with a 100% price point (in general - there are some exceptions, of course).  :(  I guess I am voting with my wallet these days.

As for GalCiv III:  I loved II of course, so I will definitely be getting III sooner or later (probably during the last minute beta as you do save a few bucks, assuming the beta buzz in universally positive).  Haven't really been paying attention to the dev cycle for this one though because, again, "early access" has never been my thing.   But I agree: so far I haven't really seen anything that makes me jump out of my seat.  It just looks like a refined II.  However, knowing Stardock, the real magic will happen with the expansions. 
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Nefaro


Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on August 14, 2014, 08:10:12 PM
Brave man Jarhead.  I find the community interaction on Steam game forums to generally falls into two types of posters: the perpetual hate everything crowd or the unswayable "there's nothing to see here" fanboys.


I dunno.  It used to be that way but I've been seeing an upswing in stable, reasoned posts for some of Steam game forums I've visited recently.

Sure, there is still some choad dropping a turd in many of the larger threads but the ratio is smaller than I recall from even six months ago.  Perhaps I'm just visiting the right ones for that.  Since I generally don't play shooters, platformers and 'twitch' stuff much, that could well be the case.