Galactic Civilizations III trailer!!

Started by Martok, October 15, 2013, 11:36:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BanzaiCat

^This.

I understand the developer's need to get people all geeked out over this, with the cinematic trailer that has epic music and action and explosions and hints of some human crusade to commit some serious genocidin', but these kinds of trailers annoy me more than get me interested. I want to see gameplay, interface, GUI, that sort of thing, not pretty flashing lights and vague wink-wink-say-no-more dialogue.

Don't get me wrong - I have the GC II Ultimate Edition, and it's a fun play. If III is any good (and we get an actual trailer that actually shows the game itself), I might get it too. I just want info, dammit!

Anguille

I've never managed to like galciv 2 but enjoyed galciv 1. It's looking good and it's a great news for the fans of 4x games. I like the fact that there are hexes now. Thanks Martok!

republic

!!!!!!!!!

I don't have enough room for all the !'s I'd like to put!

Greybriar

I had just received an email from Stardock letting me know about Galactic Civilizations III and came here to let everyone else know, but Martok beat me to it--as usual!  ;)

Quote from: Darkspire on October 15, 2013, 12:03:26 PM
....Its through Steam so mark this day in the record books, I will install the beast and succumb to the darkside....

That's how I felt when I broke down and installed Steam in order to play Warlock: Master of the Arcane, so I feel your pain. Unfortunately there's no other way to play many of the new games coming out without installing Steam.

But I do like the way Steam keeps games updated so I don't have to bother with them, although one of the first things I did after installing Steam was to uncheck the default setting to start Steam when I booted up my PC. And I always set Steam to offline mode when I quit playing a Steam game; that makes it possible for me to play Steam games when I lose my internet connection unexpectedly.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

RedArgo

I could never really get into GalCiv 2, I'm not sure why.  I know I missed having tactical combat.  Hopefully, they will remedy this, although I haven't seen one way or the other yet.  The last Elemental was good, so hopefully Stardock will do a great job here.

SgtRock

Galactic Civilizations III trailer = just a movie or actual game play?

Darkspire

Quote from: SgtRock on October 15, 2013, 11:21:45 PM
Galactic Civilizations III trailer = just a movie or actual game play?

Do not think of it as a trailer more like a firework display to announce that GCIII has finally been put into production.

Darkspire
Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.


MetalDog

I played GalCivII and liked the game well enough, but, really would have preferred mp.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Sparhawk

GalCivII was my first 4x space game and I've been hooked ever since. I'm excited for all the enhancements that are being talked about in GalCivIII.

Huw the Poo

Does anyone know whether Kael is working on this?

Shelldrake

GC3 will easily make my must-buy list. This is great news Martok!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Bison


undercovergeek


Martok

Quote from: Martok on October 15, 2013, 02:01:04 PM
Also, epic-sized maps and the ship design.  8) 

This obviously won't matter to a lot of folks, but another thing I like about the GalCiv series is the lore behind it.  Brad Wardell has posted a fair bit over the years regarding the backstory he created -- one that's actually fairly deep, and which he wrote out at least partially *before* he ever made the first game -- and I'll admit it continues to hold a certain amount of fascination for me. 

An example of what I'm referring to:  The Thalans were one of the new races in GalCiv2...and they weren't added just for variety's sake.  Brad hinted on at least a couple occasions that the Thalans traveled back in time to stop the Humans from destroying the galaxy, but he wouldn't reveal anything beyond that.  I'm looking forward to finally finding out what exactly we do to doom the cosmos.  8) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Darkspire

Trying to prove the existence of God with the Bible is the same thing as trying to prove the existence of Orcs using the Lord of the Rings books.