Hunting - Crossbows

Started by Windigo, October 24, 2013, 09:14:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bison

I think someone has a serious misconception of hunting in America if they honestly think guys go out there with MG (machine guns) blazing.  Seriously.  Stop watching Hollywood movies.  They are complete trash in every area regarding to reality.

I haven't hunted in a long, long time.  I took up fishing and never really got back to gunz ablazing mowing down innocent upland game with my many machine guns.  I prefer to use a 50 cal when I do my gunz ablazing attacks on nature, but to each their own.  However, I've been looking at getting back into bird hunting primarily duck.

GDS_Starfury

my I recommend using an Ostwind for bird hunting.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Windigo

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 28, 2013, 06:15:45 PM
my I recommend using an Ostwind for bird hunting.

proximity fused ammo of course
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Staggerwing

A FlakVierling (or Wirblewind if you don't have something to shlep the FV with) would be much more efficient against flocks of birds- better ROF.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: MikeGER on October 28, 2013, 04:50:48 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on October 28, 2013, 03:06:42 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 28, 2013, 12:53:04 PM
ya.... dont go boar hunting with a crossbow.  we kind of like you not in the hospital in ICU.

Unless you also carry a spear or sword.

yes a 'Saufeder'


OK, now that's cool!
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

Found one a bit cheaper, but the shaft doesn't break down.

http://www.katerno.com/detail.php?s=243791

Going to look for more.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Mr. Bigglesworth

#66
Quote from: Staggerwing on October 28, 2013, 06:27:05 PM
A FlakVierling (or Wirblewind if you don't have something to shlep the FV with) would be much more efficient against flocks of birds- better ROF.

An 88 flak cannon! Take that avian flu!

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Staggerwing

^Smaug's days are numbered...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Dolan50

QuoteI took up fishing and never really got back to gunz ablazing mowing down innocent upland game with my many machine guns.  I prefer to use a 50 cal when I do my gunz ablazing attacks on nature, but to each their own.

Fishing with grenades now! :D
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

Bison

Quote from: Dolan50 on October 29, 2013, 06:26:07 AM
QuoteI took up fishing and never really got back to gunz ablazing mowing down innocent upland game with my many machine guns.  I prefer to use a 50 cal when I do my gunz ablazing attacks on nature, but to each their own.

Fishing with grenades now! :D

Mere grenades are ineffective.  I prefer to use a MK19 for burst HE firing capabilities.

Grimnirsson

Quote from: Bison on October 28, 2013, 06:08:52 PM
I think someone has a serious misconception of hunting in America if they honestly think guys go out there with MG (machine guns) blazing.  Seriously.  Stop watching Hollywood movies.  They are complete trash in every area regarding to reality

Yeah, I love these Hollywood movies! This here was a great one:

"Hunting hogs with night vision, a machine gun, and a suppressor"



When using the sledgehammer approach I have a designator on my firearm (typically a machine gun) and drive until I see a pack which will be greeted first by an invisible laser sighted in to my point of impact, and then by a hose of lead courtesy of a legally registered M10 submachine gun with a Lage slowfire upper. (In Texas you can hunt hogs with machine guns) (http://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/06/18/hunting-hogs-night-vision-machine-gun-suppressor/)

Or this one:

"Helicopter Hog Hunting with Machine Guns"

I especially love the soundtrack!



I'm glad though that these are only Hollywood movies, imagine folks would do that in real life...
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

LongBlade

Quote from: Grimnirsson on October 29, 2013, 07:11:05 AM
Quote from: Bison on October 28, 2013, 06:08:52 PM
I think someone has a serious misconception of hunting in America if they honestly think guys go out there with MG (machine guns) blazing.  Seriously.  Stop watching Hollywood movies.  They are complete trash in every area regarding to reality

Yeah, I love these Hollywood movies! This here was a great one:

"Hunting hogs with night vision, a machine gun, and a suppressor"



When using the sledgehammer approach I have a designator on my firearm (typically a machine gun) and drive until I see a pack which will be greeted first by an invisible laser sighted in to my point of impact, and then by a hose of lead courtesy of a legally registered M10 submachine gun with a Lage slowfire upper. (In Texas you can hunt hogs with machine guns) (http://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/06/18/hunting-hogs-night-vision-machine-gun-suppressor/)

Or this one:

"Helicopter Hog Hunting with Machine Guns"

I especially love the soundtrack!



I'm glad though that these are only Hollywood movies, imagine folks would do that in real life...

Feral hogs aren't considered game. They're designated by most state agencies as a danger/nuisance and hunters are encouraged to kill them on sight. So, yeah, you do get helicopter MG hunts. But that's not considered hunting. Also, you are still required to legally be able to own/use a firearm.

Real hunting is fairly tightly regulated in the US. There are specific, limited "seasons" or times of year when it is legal to hunt a specific type of game. You typically must purchase a hunting license. In most cases any person born after 1980 must attend and pass a hunter education course (I was born before 80 but our school system made hunting safety a mandatory requirement - I still have my certificate somewhere around here).

In many instances you not only need a license but also a special stamp to hunt a specific game such as waterfowl or, in the case of fishing, trout. These fees aren't huge but can vary. In most cases the fees paid by hunters make a sizable contribution toward that state's conservation department, which manages and enforces the laws around wildlife.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MikeGER


....its aways season for these pigs  ;D

Grimnirsson

Ok, then I stand corrected. ...there's no MG hunting in the USA because if you hunt down and kill animals with MGs you just don't call it a hunt. That's of course an elegant way to make sure that such things don't happen in the US. Ok you convinced me. I repeat, in the USA there are no folks who hunt and while doing so wear military camo, use laser pointers and night googles or directing their own movie in the Apocalypse Now Ride of the Valkyries style. Sitting in a helicopter, shooting animals, who run in all directions at full speed and panic, with a MG often only wounding these animals while smiling into a cam, wearing military style outfits and listening to AC/DC is something different than a hunt. Got it.
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de