Video games blow movies away for 2013 revenue: $100 Billion vs. $10 Billion.

Started by MuzzyDev, November 08, 2013, 02:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimnirsson

Ok, if he played it and says it's garbage...then of course it's garbage...how can millions of gamers think otherwise? We should go and tell them...  ::)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Grimnirsson on November 11, 2013, 04:42:43 PM
Ok, if he played it and says it's garbage...then of course it's garbage...how can millions of gamers think otherwise? We should go and tell them...  ::)

Yes, it's garbage...in his opinion.

Or should we all just bow down to the logic of the mob, regardless of how we might feel about something?

Grimnirsson

No, the mainstream...the mob...millions having fun with the game...don't bow down! Stand up and fight! Don't play it!

Come on, this is what I mean...generalizing 'it's garbage' then slowly adding 'in my opinion only of course...YMMW...to each his own' etc..

To say 'well I don't like it' is different to 'meh, garbage for the mob' - the former is a valid opinion, the latter just snobbish judging others who have a different taste.

www.homefrontcenter.de

LongBlade

Quote from: Grimnirsson on November 11, 2013, 04:42:43 PM

It may not play like garbage on an Xbox. On the PC?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Grimnirsson on November 11, 2013, 06:08:32 PM
No, the mainstream...the mob...millions having fun with the game...don't bow down! Stand up and fight! Don't play it!

Come on, this is what I mean...generalizing 'it's garbage' then slowly adding 'in my opinion only of course...YMMW...to each his own' etc..

To say 'well I don't like it' is different to 'meh, garbage for the mob' - the former is a valid opinion, the latter just snobbish judging others who have a different taste.

In his opinion, it's garbage. He expressed that opinion. One doesn't need to attach pointless words like 'in my opinion' to something they say because of course it's their opinion. If I'm saying something, it stands to reason that what I'm saying is my opinion on it.

Both of your examples are valid opinions. My advice to you is to grow thicker skin, if someone's judgment of something you enjoy affects you so severely.

GDS_Starfury

Im pretty much done with the CoD/BF type shooter.  if I want a real life experience with guns Ill go to the range and at least improve a real world skill.
besides, all these kids keep fucking my mom and she just cant take it anymore.   ::)
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

MuzzyDev

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 11, 2013, 08:30:28 PM
Im pretty much done with the CoD/BF type shooter.  if I want a real life experience with guns Ill go to the range and at least improve a real world skill.
besides, all these kids keep fucking my mom and she just cant take it anymore.   ::)

Pfffftt!  This made me spit my coffee onto the keyboard.  Well played, sir.  Well played. 

The last COD I enjoyed playing was COD4, before they stopped allowing people to put up their own servers.  For COD4, it was fairly easy to find a server that kicked the idiots and you could find a fun group to do multiplayer with.

For veteran gamers, it's pretty hard these days to create a game that makes FPS a unique experience.  Like Hollywood, they'll keep churning out the same franchises until they stop making money.  Considering that COD Ghosts had a sell in of a billion dollars on DAY ONE, that ain't a-happenin' any time soon.

Chris--
Chris Parsons
Product Manager, Muzzy Lane

FarAway Sooner

I don't think it's bad etiquette  to state opinions as opinions, and facts as facts, rather than vice versa.

"You're an asshole" is a very different statement from "I think you're being an asshole". 

LongBlade

Quote from: MuzzyDev on November 12, 2013, 09:05:24 AM
The last COD I enjoyed playing was COD4, before they stopped allowing people to put up their own servers.  For COD4, it was fairly easy to find a server that kicked the idiots and you could find a fun group to do multiplayer with.

That's how I feel.

Grimnirsson

QuoteIt may not play like garbage on an Xbox. On the PC?

On the Xbox and I suppose on the PS3 either it's not 'garbage'. On the PC? Maybe, I don't play it on the PC. CoD is now pretty much a console franchise and he didn't say 'it's garbage on the PC' ;)

The video in the first post is about video games, and that's usually a term used for console games not for PC games. So if someone is talking about CoD I suppose it means CoD on a console :)

QuoteOne doesn't need to attach pointless words like 'in my opinion' to something they say because of course it's their opinion. If I'm saying something, it stands to reason that what I'm saying is my opinion on it.

If someone is not stating a fact or doesn't want to give the impression that his opinion is valid for the majority of people using such 'pointless words' is helpful to avoid that others get this impression of you judging others.

QuoteMy advice to you is to grow thicker skin, if someone's judgment of something you enjoy affects you so severely.

I don't need a thick skin because I'm not 'affected severely' by the opinion of others. That doesn't mean I don't write a reply in a forum that is about discussing things. Interesting that you first say he was just expressing his personal opinion and now you say he is in fact judging...:P

The point regarding CoD is just that first it was cool to play it and everyone was thrilled when the next game hit the stores and everyone was talking about it etc.. After a while some players started to realize that the only way to be not 'mainstream' is to bash CoD, although the game is delivering the same experience as before (with a new feature here and there, improvement here and there etc.) - which in fact is the reason for success because to alter the gameplay too much to actually create something 'new' would cut off the fan base that is expecting that the game is defined by a specific gameplay structure.

www.homefrontcenter.de

MengJiao

Quote from: MuzzyDev on November 12, 2013, 09:05:24 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on November 11, 2013, 08:30:28 PM

Pfffftt!  This made me spit my coffee onto the keyboard.  Well played, sir.  Well played. 

For veteran gamers, it's pretty hard these days to create a game that makes FPS a unique experience.  Like Hollywood, they'll keep churning out the same franchises until they stop making money.  Considering that COD Ghosts had a sell in of a billion dollars on DAY ONE, that ain't a-happenin' any time soon.

Chris--

I think it is heartening that any game made that much money.  On the other hand such things make it hard to explain to people what games I do play (since everyone knows I play games -- apparently a more mystifying form of deviance than the once-popular idea that I was a Trekkie just because of my heart-rending rendition of "They killed his brother, Pyotr." "But Captain, Chekov doesn't have a brother."  "That's right, the Klingons got him." "No Captain, I mean he never ever really had a brother at all.").

So next year they will be saying:  So do you play COD: the Monkey's Uncle?
  And I'll say: nope, but I'm glad it made 10 billion dollars.
  Them: What's it like playing COD: the Monkey's Uncle?
   Me: I have only the vaguest idea -- I think I last played a COd-type game (maybe it was Medal of Honor or BAT42?) well over a decade ago.
  Them:  Do you run around shooting people?
   Me: Not exactly.
  Them: I mean do you run around shooting people in COD: the Monkey's Uncle?
   Me: Probably
    Me: I have no idea whatsoever.  None.

LongBlade

Quote from: MengJiao on November 12, 2013, 01:30:46 PM

I think it is heartening that any game made that much money.  On the other hand such things make it hard to explain to people what games I do play (since everyone knows I play games -- apparently a more mystifying form of deviance than the once-popular idea that I was a Trekkie just because of my heart-rending rendition of "They killed his brother, Pyotr." "But Captain, Chekov doesn't have a brother."  "That's right, the Klingons got him." "No Captain, I mean he never ever really had a brother at all.").

So next year they will be saying:  So do you play COD: the Monkey's Uncle?
  And I'll say: nope, but I'm glad it made 10 billion dollars.
   Me: I have only the vaguest idea -- I think I last played a COd-type game (maybe it was Medal of Honor or BAT42?) well over a decade ago.
  Them:  Do you run around shooting people?
   Me: Not exactly.
  Them: I mean do you run around shooting people in COD: the Monkey's Uncle?
   Me: Probably
    Me: I have no idea whatsoever.  None.

Ha!

In my case it's about server control. If I host the server it's going to be for this community. And if it's this community I'm going to be sure I protect you guys from griefers. If I can't do that, I'm far less interested in the game.

Yeah, it's an FPS. I love playing FPS games. But I'd rather play them with you guys than a bunch of strangers. And when JH reports back that both CoD and BF4 are "meh" I'm inclined to hesitate. He's written a lot of reviews over the years and played a lot of games I have. We don't always agree, but I value his opinion as highly as anyone else's here.

YMMV

MengJiao

Quote from: Grimnirsson on November 12, 2013, 01:27:10 PM
The point regarding CoD is just that first it was cool to play it and everyone was thrilled when the next game hit the stores and everyone was talking about it etc.. After a while some players started to realize that the only way to be not 'mainstream' is to bash CoD, although the game is delivering the same experience as before (with a new feature here and there, improvement here and there etc.) - which in fact is the reason for success because to alter the gameplay too much to actually create something 'new' would cut off the fan base that is expecting that the game is defined by a specific gameplay structure.

If I might just intorject a point here, there is a certain expectation around the relative coolness of things in that things that were cool quite a while ago may no longer be so cool.  Moreover, there's nothing cool about doing the same thing over and over even if you do make billions of dollars doing it.   I take the Rock, Paper, shotgun line on this since I haven't played COD maybe ever, but COD has definitely lost whatever whiff of coolness it may have once had.  On the other hand, I'm glad they're making lots of money.

MengJiao

Quote from: LongBlade on November 12, 2013, 01:35:32 PM
Yeah, it's an FPS. I love playing FPS games. But I'd rather play them with you guys than a bunch of strangers. And when JH reports back that both CoD and BF4 are "meh" I'm inclined to hesitate. He's written a lot of reviews over the years and played a lot of games I have. We don't always agree, but I value his opinion as highly as anyone else's here.

YMMV

I do like a good FPS.  I was even insanely good at a few of them a few years ago.  I'm going through a prolonged ARMAIII-only stage at the moment.