Battlefield 4 Stinks

Started by bboyer66, November 13, 2013, 02:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on November 13, 2013, 10:07:44 PM
Of course RPS gave a poor review - they didn't get an advanced press copy.

Well, that's the most moronic thing I've read around here for a while.  ::)

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Barthheart on November 13, 2013, 04:33:10 PM
;D

Unfortunately, and maybe unfairly, that's exactly how I picture most people who play INSERT ONLINE GAME NAME HERE as behaving and one of the reasons I do not play online

Having said that, it seems like it can't be a reason because the thought itself doesn't seem reasonable...but that is why I stay away from online gaming...voice comms made it worse imo.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Huw the Poo on November 14, 2013, 01:56:46 AM

I hope(ed) it was a joke...kind of a piss take
Alba gu' brath

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 14, 2013, 02:35:50 AM
Quote from: Huw the Poo on November 14, 2013, 01:56:46 AM

I hope(ed) it was a joke...kind of a piss take

It was sarcasm. RPS is legit, and it was a joke on them.

However, I think it could apply to a number of other gaming review sights.

GJK

So should I stick with BF'42 then??  Still my favorite.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Huw the Poo

Apologies...clearly my sarcasm detector is broken today.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: GJK on November 14, 2013, 07:30:34 AM
So should I stick with BF'42 then??  Still my favorite.

Do you play it modded?

GJK

Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Yskonyn

Quote from: bboyer66 on November 13, 2013, 02:46:43 PM
Im curious as to which parts you disagree with, and if you can make me see what I am missing.

It took me a while, sorry, but here goes:

I do agree that its a bad thing the servers have problems, resulting in lag and crashes and the client suffers from frequent freezes and crashes too.
That does stink, but will be patched. In fact, a client patch is due today and the servers has seen ongoing patches since launch and the situation has improved.

I also do agree that the SP is weak. The individual scenes are very well done though, I just find it weak from a story point of view. Its incoherent and fails to deliver the story well.

What I definately do not agree with is claiming the game has weak shooter gameplay.
You might call it BF3.5 on the surface, but look at the package; a SP campaign, 6 or 7 multiplayer modes which offer wildly varying gameplay, 3 factions with weapons and vehicles.
The so called Levolution is not just a gimmick; parts of the map radically change during the match with awesome animations most of the time. This has never been done before.
The Destruction is again turned up a notch to give an even more realistic sense of Destruction. Perhaps minor things for you, but pretty awesome from a technical point of view.

Sure the main gameplay is still good old battlefield. But that is what we want, right? What should have been made better or what should have been added or changed in your view to make it better?

I am very happy with the given formula. It BF as I know it, just bigger and more awesome.

Just as a sidenote; I am a PC BF player, not a console one. If you are then I can see where you are coming from.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

son_of_montfort

I like BF4 and do not think it sucks. Remember, the RPS "review" is about single-player, which is like reviewing World of Warcraft based solely on PvP arenas or something. I'm having philosophical differences with RPS at the moment, largely centered around their incessant need to try to be "cute" rather than informative, but their opinion still holds a lot of weight for me. That being said, everyone expects the solo game for BF4 and CoD: Ghosts to be largely tacked on and short.

I did not play BF3, so BF4 is a nice entry into a formula that I feel is stronger than BF2.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Huw the Poo

The RPS article is not even remotely a review.  Walker makes the very clear point that the single player game should not be somehow free from criticism because "everyone plays multiplayer" (which is bollocks), and that the single player experience, due to DRM , is shocking.

If I were at all interested in the game, I'd be glad that RPS is one of the few websites to have the balls to discuss it.  They would have saved me some money.

JudgeDredd

I bought BF3 - but decided to abstain from BF4 for several reasons...
1. It didn't look like a good enough step for the price
2. I don't multiplayer - only dabble if at all - so a weak single player isn't any good for me
3. I didn't like buying into Origin...I decided not to do it anymore

Just the reasons I used to justify saving me £40  :D

*Man what is it with me and saving money all of a sudden!!*
Alba gu' brath

Yskonyn

All fair reasons, just not much foundation for a general exclamation of : "Battlefield 4 stinks".
Parts of it do, but as a whole the game is solid. But if you're not a multiplayer shooter kinda guy you have no business with BF to begin with; that doesn't make the game bad.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Yskonyn on November 14, 2013, 02:31:58 PM
All fair reasons, just not much foundation for a general exclamation of : "Battlefield 4 stinks".
Parts of it do, but as a whole the game is solid. But if you're not a multiplayer shooter kinda guy you have no business with BF to begin with; that doesn't make the game bad.
Nope. The guy at work loves it multiplayer. Quite a few crashes, but when he plays, it's a blast apparently.

He is a big fan of MP though...loves it
Alba gu' brath