Main Menu

SWTOR re-visited?

Started by Swatter, November 14, 2013, 06:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatter

So it seems that BW is offering a double xp weekend at the end of the month and double value first-time cartel coin purchases. I have always liked SWTOR, just haven't played it as much as I have wanted. I also noticed they are coming out with 'Galactic Starfighter', which apparently is some sort of pvp fighter sub-game. Its nice they are doing it, but I can't help but be disappointed. Space travel should have been integral to the game from the beginning, its a huge mistake they have left it out entirely and this expansion states definitively that it will never happen.

Ill enjoy the stories, but this game has had some major swings and misses that will prevent it from being anything I consider classic. The moment they decided to do a WoW-clone in the Star Wars universe put a definitive ceiling on what was possible with the game. I will probably go back and play another storyline, though at the end of the month.

Tpek

I try to revisit it every couple of months.

I can never really seem to get that much into it.
It seems they never really bothered to repair a lot of the broken stuff in the game (though they have made improvements to other parts of it).

Most importantly, I just can't get a "Star Wars" feeling out of playing it.

Nefaro

It became very repetitive and boring once I made it past the first half or two-thirds of the character levels.  It kept my attention during this time due to some decent production values and primarily because of the rate I was advancing. 

Getting new skills and customization points always tends to keep me going longer but after reaching higher levels with my characters, and character advancement thus slowing to a crawl, the repetitive grind feel started kicking in.  This happens with nearly every MMO out there.  They make the last stretch of character levels, before reaching the cap, take increasingly longer to achieve.  That's when you really start feeling the dull grind wear you down, when progress seems to barely creep forward and you're not really experiencing anything new. 

At this point I usually attempt to change things up with some team PvP matches, which are usually pretty fun in these MMOs and give special PvP rewards (with enough PvP grinding!).  However, most MMOs don't have a well-rounded PvP environment.  SWTOR was definitely one of these.  While the core game mechanics worked well in PvP, and I had a lot of fun, there just wasn't enough environmental and game mode variety for it's PvP at the time.  It barely existed when the game released!  It certainly didn't have a finished Open PvP area even months later when people were exploiting the one place, which wouldn't normally qualify for the moniker, with such basic insanity as spawn camping.  ::)  Frankly, it was nowhere near finished.

The only thing that would draw me back to trying SWTOR again would be hearing of huge leaps in the PvP facet.  That is the end game in most MMOs, in my opinion.  I doubt they'll ever get it there, at this point.

I've been tossing around the idea of checking out LOTRO again sometime.  I was burned out on it just before they switched to the free-to-play cash shop stuff and, oddly enough, I've not wanted to get back because of all the ridiculous cash shop crap you gotta figure out.  It's a goddamn mess.. I'd rather just pay a straight montly fee like before and have everything - not juggle all kinds of consumable shit and various in-game currencies, learn various premium advantages & limits, and other annoyances.   SWTOR obviously went this way too, although it may not be as murky as LOTRO's mess.

Bison

SWTOR is my MMO of choice atm.  After years and hours of DDO, I finally hit the burn out wall and just wasn't enjoying logging in anymore.  I wouldn't call SWTOR a great mmo, but I enjoy it.  Plus it helps that I have RL friends that I play with too.

Tpek

Quote from: Bison on November 25, 2013, 12:04:03 AM
Plus it helps that I have RL friends that I play with too.

This is always a HUGE plus.
Reminds me of my UO days venturing out and exploring with friends :P

mirth

I have to admit, after working out all the PITA install issues, this game is pretty damn addicting.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus