Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel

Started by FrontierCybrarian, November 20, 2013, 10:56:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

...I won't bang on.

I've said my piece and you are entitled your opinion.
Alba gu' brath

Arctic Blast

Quote from: tgb on November 22, 2013, 12:30:23 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on November 22, 2013, 12:00:20 AM

This isn't a shot across the bow of yourself or tgb or anyone else. I just don't get why it always seems to come down totally to money vs. time investment. We don't place nearly enough value on our time, and that's really a shame.

It doesn't.  My point is that the new expansion a) is twice the price of the previous expansion because b)it forces owners of Awakening the Bear to re-purchase product they ALREADY OWN.

Length of the game has nothing to do with it.

They're following the model of the board game series. Storm of Steel is a completely separate game in both markets. A whole new time frame, a whole new area, a whole new set of battlefields (and boards for the board version), a whole new set of units. I don't see $30 as a ripoff for previous owners. You do. Both are cool.

smittyohio

Quote from: Arctic Blast on November 22, 2013, 06:41:29 PM
Quote from: tgb on November 22, 2013, 12:30:23 AM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on November 22, 2013, 12:00:20 AM

This isn't a shot across the bow of yourself or tgb or anyone else. I just don't get why it always seems to come down totally to money vs. time investment. We don't place nearly enough value on our time, and that's really a shame.

It doesn't.  My point is that the new expansion a) is twice the price of the previous expansion because b)it forces owners of Awakening the Bear to re-purchase product they ALREADY OWN.

Length of the game has nothing to do with it.

They're following the model of the board game series. Storm of Steel is a completely separate game in both markets. A whole new time frame, a whole new area, a whole new set of battlefields (and boards for the board version), a whole new set of units. I don't see $30 as a ripoff for previous owners. You do. Both are cool.

On a separate note, SoS coming out did prompt me to go back and give COH:ATB another chance.  I was lukewarm on it when I first played it, and got sidetracked with other games.  I've thoroughly enjoyed playing through the scenarios so far.  I've skipped "Monsters", which is where I think I got disenchanted last time, and have had some interesting battles.  The AI is pretty good on defense, but has been lackluster when I swap sides and let it attack...  I'm not sure if that's because the scenarios are balanced that way, or if it just isn't that crafty.  The other downside is that it doesn't support PBEM, for obvious reasons, so MP isn't that active.

FrontierCybrarian

smittyohio, thanks for sharing your game play thoughts on Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear. The impression I get from your post is that you are about neutral in your recommendation of the game and will likely have a "wait and see" approach to Storms of Steel.

After playing COH:AtB for awhile I share similar viewpoints. However, I must say this...I'm not very good at turn-based wargames whether beginner, intermediate, or complex in nature. Therefore, my game assessment would not be that valuable to grogheads.

Any and all types of comments on Storms of Steel or Conflict of Heroes are welcome.
Task without Vision is Drudgery
Vision without Task is Dreaming
But Task with Vision is Destiny.

The Church News, January 4, 1958