What's your strategy?

Started by MetalDog, November 21, 2013, 09:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

But what if an Orion girl is involved, W8?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

MetalDog

Quote from: W8taminute on November 22, 2013, 02:45:15 PM

Above all I play honestly and honorably because if I am to ever play the same human again I don't want my reputation destroyed because I was a total tool who resorted to rush tactics or other gamey tricks.

I can appreciate that position, but, what if time and experience have taught the human player how best to win?  I mean, for example, I played Age of Empires III with a friend last week and he told me that what I was doing was impossible on the lower level he was on and that I had an advantage in game.  I told him it would be the same no matter what level we played on because of my time spent on the game and my experience.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

W8taminute

@Jason,

If one of those green girls is involved then that would indeed be a game changer.  LOL

@MetalDog

I hear what you're saying Dog but I've seen the way you play.  You have a very sound and logical strategy when playing and you indeed won't change the routine no matter the difficulty.  If on a lower difficulty your experience really shines through to the point where your opponent questions if that is possible then he merely hasn't put the time to learn the nuances of said game the way you have.  I'm not saying you game the game.  On the contrary your approach is to learn the mechanics of what works and what doesn't and find a solution and stick to it. 

So in the example you give my approach would be to tone down my game a bit to allow the learner to catch up.  Maybe even tutor him through the game to give him the mental equipment to be a better player at the game.  I'd beat him but not very badly so as not to crush his spirit.  But if he turns out to be a tool then I either throw the game in his favor, give him his coveted win, then walk away never to play him again.  Or I would thrash him badly and mildly gloat.  Depends on my mood I guess. 

Luckily you and the group of guys we play with are good guys and I enjoy the challenges we give each other.  It's very hard to find an honorable player but when you do you treat them as gold.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MetalDog

Thanks for the kind words, W8.  We should really find something to PBEM again.  To your point about tutoring, there were four of us that regularly played Atari's Axis & Allies RTS.  I was the best player by far.  After a period of whooping the dog out of them (we are all close friends and do as close friends will do), I started calling them after each game to help them will build orders.  They would ask me how I did something and I would explain, in detail, what to do.  It's unforunate they weren't as adept at carrying out my suggestions as I was implementing them.  But if I found someone willing to play, and learn, I would teach them.

W8taminute

Quote from: MetalDog on November 22, 2013, 09:01:55 PM
Thanks for the kind words, W8.  We should really find something to PBEM again. 

You're welcome friend, anytime.  We should find something to PBEM.  Does Warlock have that ability I wonder?  Now I gotta go check. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

MetalDog

Pretty sure it's just online.

JasonPratt

Quote from: W8taminute on November 22, 2013, 09:07:01 PM
Quote from: MetalDog on November 22, 2013, 09:01:55 PM
Thanks for the kind words, W8.  We should really find something to PBEM again. 

You're welcome friend, anytime.  We should find something to PBEM.  Does Warlock have that ability I wonder?  Now I gotta go check.

You could try going insane and play WW1Gold 4-player. :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

W8taminute

^I'm definitely up for that Jason!  We just need two more guys and we'll be all set.

JasonPratt

I know Kushan was thinking about it at one point but had to back out for RL. Perhaps Metal Dog above?

MetalDog

Thank you, but no thank you.  WWI does nothing for me game wise.

Nefaro

Quote from: MetalDog on November 26, 2013, 07:23:17 PM
Thank you, but no thank you.  WWI does nothing for me game wise.

One of the many Third Reich enthusiasts?     :-\

MetalDog

I haven't played a boatlod of WWII games either, but, if I do, I never play as Germany.