I Get To Start A Friday Thread, Yea Me!

Started by KyzBP, November 22, 2013, 05:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Hmmm...yes I played SMAC and SMAX to death as well and loved 'em.  If you got bored of Pandora I'm thinking I might end up getting bored too after a while.  Tough choice.  Do I get Pandora and go to GOG and buy SMAC so I can play on my modern rig?
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Martok

FWIW, Pandora got a very solid review over at WG, and in general, most folks seem to be having a good time with it.  (Moreover, even ghostryder like it!  If that doesn't say something about the game's quality, I don't know what does. :P ) 

That being said, you may want to wait for SpaceSector's review to come out, as they're very thorough.  As it is, Adam already posted his initial impressions of the game (which is itself quite lengthy); it's clear his experience with Pandora has been mostly very positive so far. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

W8taminute

^Thanks Martok.  I've bookmarked that site.  The guys there seem to know their stuff and their reviews seem very credible. 

I'm keeping my eye on this game as now I'm curious.  Will wait to see how the full blown review turns out.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Martok

Oh yeah, and if you've not already checked it out, Rob Clark put up a pretty good review of Pandora as well. 

Quote from: W8taminute on November 26, 2013, 08:05:36 AM
^Thanks Martok.  I've bookmarked that site.  The guys there seem to know their stuff and their reviews seem very credible. 
You're welcome! 

Yeah, I like SpaceSector a lot.  They're generally the first place I check for news/reviews regarding sci-fi games (especially sci-fi war/strategy games), and they're pretty good with coverage of other strategy games as well (such as Rome 2 Total War and Europa Universalis IV). 

Of course, one might not always agree with their reviews, but at least they put a good amount of effort into them.  Perhaps even more importantly, they actually put games through their paces before writing out a review; this may mean waiting a couple weeks until you can read them, but at least you know the author did a proper amount of "research".  ;) 

Quote from: W8taminute on November 26, 2013, 08:05:36 AM
I'm keeping my eye on this game as now I'm curious.  Will wait to see how the full blown review turns out.
I think most fans of the genre would enjoy it.  As I said in the Pandora thread, I liked what I saw in the beta, and will absolutely be picking it up in the next couple weeks.   

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

W8taminute

Ok Rob Clark's review is pretty honest and well written too.  So after reading that piece I will be getting this game.  Now it's just a matter of waiting until my wallet says go ahead and buy!

Yeah I noticed that about SpaceSector as well.  Adam over there himself said that he needs to actually spend some solid time with the game before he can write a proper review.  Similarly Grogheads seem to review games in this manner as well.  Every review I've read here tells me that the author did indeed spend a decent amount of time with the game before talking about it.