Martok - Watch your grapes. Seriously

Started by LongBlade, November 22, 2013, 11:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

LongBlade

This isn't good. A black widow was found in some grapes in Milwaukee.

Fortunately it's rare, but I'd advise you to be careful.

QuoteAldi Supermarkets pulled all red, green and black grapes from Milwaukee-area stores and promised to beef up inspections after a shopper found a venomous black widow spider in a red grape container at the Wauwatosa Aldi on Thursday.

"At Aldi, we are committed to providing high quality products," the company said in a statement emailed to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel after being contacted by a reporter. "We sincerely regret any inconvenience or concern this situation may have caused."

Yvonne Duckhorn of Milwaukee told the newspaper that she was shopping Thursday afternoon at the Aldi store at 12120 W. Burleigh St. with her 4-year-old daughter when she picked up a clear container of red grapes that was on sale.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/milwaukee-aldi-stores-yank-grapes-after-black-widow-spider-discovered-b99138407z1-231285071.html#ixzz2lRFPzVyv
Follow us: @NewsHub on Twitter
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

BanzaiCat

I was bitten by a brown recluse a couple of years ago. It did a number on my leg, as well as me. Fortunately no permanent damage done, but a former boss of mine was bitten by one a few months before me and he lost a leg because of it. I hate, hate, hate spiders and kill any I come across with maximum prejudice. Any movie with spiders in it I'll watch just because I know they'll all die in the end. Bastards.

Serves you right for trying to eat healthy! Stick with the roach parts and mouse droppings in your local McDonald's. At least you know what's in it, there.  ;D

Steelgrave

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 22, 2013, 11:35:01 PM
I was bitten by a brown recluse a couple of years ago. It did a number on my leg, as well as me. Fortunately no permanent damage done, but a former boss of mine was bitten by one a few months before me and he lost a leg because of it. I hate, hate, hate spiders and kill any I come across with maximum prejudice. Any movie with spiders in it I'll watch just because I know they'll all die in the end. Bastards.

Serves you right for trying to eat healthy! Stick with the roach parts and mouse droppings in your local McDonald's. At least you know what's in it, there.  ;D

When we lived in base housing on Tinker AFB, I found a brown recluse inside the house and another on an outside wall. I killed both of them "with maximum prejudice" and reported the finding to Base Entomology. BE promptly informed me that they were almost certainly not brown recluse spiders.....so the next four I came across I put in a jar and took to BE. They were in fact Brown Recluses and we moved off base shortly after that.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I grew up in black widow central as a kid.  Those things were everywhere and we all claimed to steer well clear due to the less than calm admonitions from our mothers.  Privately, we'd always catch them and keep them in jars.  Truth is, they aren't really very dangerous at all.  They hardly ever bite people and most bites don't get through the skin.  Even when they do, the bite really isn't all that dangerous in the grand scheme of things.  It just causes your heart to race and gives you muscle cramps and stomach pains.  The brown recluse sounds infinitely more terrifying than the black widow.

Martok

F*** it.  I'm just never eating fruit again. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Greybriar

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 22, 2013, 11:35:01 PM
....Any movie with spiders in it I'll watch just because I know they'll all die in the end. Bastards....

LOL!

A spider bit me on the thumb when I was a boy. The skin degenerated around the wound until my mother put some sort of black salve on it. I guess the salve drew the poison out and my thumb healed up good as new.

I have avoided spiders ever since.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

I didn't eat fruit two weeks ago and that didn't help me. Don't look behind you!
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Steelgrave on November 23, 2013, 12:48:51 AM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on November 22, 2013, 11:35:01 PM
I was bitten by a brown recluse a couple of years ago. It did a number on my leg, as well as me. Fortunately no permanent damage done, but a former boss of mine was bitten by one a few months before me and he lost a leg because of it. I hate, hate, hate spiders and kill any I come across with maximum prejudice. Any movie with spiders in it I'll watch just because I know they'll all die in the end. Bastards.

Serves you right for trying to eat healthy! Stick with the roach parts and mouse droppings in your local McDonald's. At least you know what's in it, there.  ;D

When we lived in base housing on Tinker AFB, I found a brown recluse inside the house and another on an outside wall. I killed both of them "with maximum prejudice" and reported the finding to Base Entomology. BE promptly informed me that they were almost certainly not brown recluse spiders.....so the next four I came across I put in a jar and took to BE. They were in fact Brown Recluses and we moved off base shortly after that.

Lots of Brown Recluses here in West Tennessee (we call them fiddlebacks); I kill several in my house and at the factory each year, and find a dozen more dead ones at the factory each year. Some have dropped on me while I'm in the shower (they're waiting for the water at the bottom to drink, and also feed on little jumping mites that come out of the drains.)

I can recall only two years when we were infested with Black Widows at the shop, too; and one year (when I was early teen) was ridiculously bad. Not only would we run across them every day at work, but they'd be so old and big that the "hourglass" shape would be discolored or deformed.

Winter is one of my favorite times of year. :)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Martok

^  As it happens, I'd already seen that story several weeks ago. 

Also, as it happens, I am never, ever visiting Australia.  :P 




Quote from: JasonPratt on November 25, 2013, 03:21:10 PM
Lots of Brown Recluses here in West Tennessee (we call them fiddlebacks); I kill several in my house and at the factory each year, and find a dozen more dead ones at the factory each year. Some have dropped on me while I'm in the shower (they're waiting for the water at the bottom to drink, and also feed on little jumping mites that come out of the drains.)

I can recall only two years when we were infested with Black Widows at the shop, too; and one year (when I was early teen) was ridiculously bad. Not only would we run across them every day at work, but they'd be so old and big that the "hourglass" shape would be discolored or deformed.

Winter is one of my favorite times of year. :)
Yep, I would've moved years ago.  :o 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Centurion40

My skin is crawling right now.  Thanks, eh.
Any time is a good time for pie.