Main Menu

Huge RoF sale

Started by Toonces, March 24, 2012, 09:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

I am not a huge flight sim player but I like to play around with them and I've never done any flying in this era.  Would I need an advanced controls or will a simple joystick work?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Silent Disapproval Robot

A joystick with a twist handle for rudder will be fine.

If you're feeling inclined, a TrackIR makes this and pretty much any flight sim a million times more immersive.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 30, 2012, 08:56:48 PM

If you're feeling inclined, a TrackIR makes this and pretty much any flight sim a million times more immersive.

I have a cheap Logitech joystick and I am not sure I want to make much of or any investment in other flight sim paraphernalia.

I saw they have a F2P version I might check out.  Do you know if its a good representation of the game?
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: TheCommandTent on June 30, 2012, 09:34:47 PM

I have a cheap Logitech joystick and I am not sure I want to make much of or any investment in other flight sim paraphernalia.

I saw they have a F2P version I might check out.  Do you know if its a good representation of the game?

I believe it is the same game so represents it well, but with less add-on content.  if you haven't tried it, I would recommend it.  Here is a link that describes it.

http://riseofflight.com/tryrof/en

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 30, 2012, 09:43:50 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on June 30, 2012, 09:34:47 PM

I believe it is the same game so represents it well, but with less add-on content.  if you haven't tried it, I would recommend it.  Here is a link that describes it.

http://riseofflight.com/tryrof/en

Thanks.  Downloading now.... :)

jomni

The F2P is definitely an eye-opener.  Really good intro to the game. 

Just like SDR, I was amazed by the graphics and the feeling of flight.   But decided not buy the game because it was a little too hard for me (can't shoot anything down).  No substantial elements to add to immersion beyond the flying part.

Slick Wilhelm

RoF was what I was dreaming about the future when I was playing the original Red Baron in 1990.

So happy that neoqb(now Studio 777) went all the way and did it right. I will be a sustaining customer for them as long as they keep developing the sim.

TheCommandTent

I've been playing the F2P game.  I am doing the training missions.  I really enjoy the feeling of flying the WWI planes but I am horrible at it.  ;D

JudgeDredd

I love the game - but I too am crap a it. I mean...really bad!
Alba gu' brath

TheCommandTent

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 04, 2012, 04:40:52 PM
I love the game - but I too am crap a it. I mean...really bad!

I was doing the training mission where I had to avoid AA fire and then shoot down a German balloon.  I lost track of how many time I did the mission before I did it right.  (Any if there is a way to speed up the game when flying to an objective?)  I would either run into the balloon or miss on the first couple passes and get shot down by the AA fire.  I finally beat it though, and it felt good.

Barthheart

I'm craptastic at it too. I get the feeling if you don't have a good joystick with proper yaw and a TrackIR rig you can't do well.... Or maybe I just really suck....  :P

Slick Wilhelm

Well, it is a simulation, afterall. It's not going to be like jumping into World of Tanks. Flying a WWI air combat sim takes time and effort. But it sounds like you guys are having fun with it, even though it's challenging.

Just stick with it and you'll eventually get the hang of it. Small inputs into the controls will help at first. Try to avoid the "yank & bank" syndrome until you have a better feel for the controls.

At least with RoF, you don't have all the switches and buttons to worry about like in a modern jet sim.   :)

Barthheart

Quote from: Slick Wilhelm on July 04, 2012, 05:15:43 PM
At least with RoF, you don't have all the switches and buttons to worry about like in a modern jet sim.   :)

;D Funny but I used to be OK with all the buttons and knobs of the jet sims..... Maybe it's just age and low tolerance for repetitive actions that don't change the out come...  :P

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: TheCommandTent on July 04, 2012, 05:07:05 PM

(Any if there is a way to speed up the game when flying to an objective?) 

Yes.  Im typing from my phone right now so I can't recall 100% but it is either the + and - keys at the top in the keyboard or the [ and ] bracket keys.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 04, 2012, 05:26:20 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on July 04, 2012, 05:07:05 PM

(Any if there is a way to speed up the game when flying to an objective?) 

Yes.  Im typing from my phone right now so I can't recall 100% but it is either the + and - keys at the top in the keyboard or the [ and ] bracket keys.

Thanks I'll have to give it a try next time I am in game.

QuoteWell, it is a simulation, afterall. It's not going to be like jumping into World of Tanks. Flying a WWI air combat sim takes time and effort. But it sounds like you guys are having fun with it, even though it's challenging.

Just stick with it and you'll eventually get the hang of it. Small inputs into the controls will help at first. Try to avoid the "yank & bank" syndrome until you have a better feel for the controls.

When I first started I kept crashing before taking off and I couldn't figure out why my plane wouldn't drive straight.  I finally took the time to watch the tutorial video and realized I need to use my rudder to keep straight.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know why the SPAD pulls right like that?