"The" Holidays Game Sale Damage Thread

Started by -budd-, November 27, 2013, 11:41:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Quote from: undercovergeek on December 02, 2013, 05:57:18 AM
£6 Fallen Enchantress:LE
£3 Contagion

Huw and Bob are in too - MP zombie blasting abounds - Bob will not be allowed anything lethal to carry

Huw and I tried to get an MP game running last night - without any luck. However, we shall try again tonight I hope.

...I'll find a pan somewhere..........
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on December 01, 2013, 07:21:57 PM
Quote from: PanzersEast on November 30, 2013, 02:39:05 AM
Still holding at:

Prison Architect    $14.99
Sanctum 2 DLC     $ 1.58


Don't think I am purchasing anything else, nothing on Wishlist getting any cheaper.....  but will probably get the FE:LH - The Dead World DLC for $ 2.49. 


PE

   I may get DCS combined arms at 50% off.

   I did.  So that's my sales damage so far: 14.99 USD.

undercovergeek

Quote from: bob48 on December 02, 2013, 01:57:18 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on December 02, 2013, 05:57:18 AM
£6 Fallen Enchantress:LE
£3 Contagion

Huw and Bob are in too - MP zombie blasting abounds - Bob will not be allowed anything lethal to carry

Huw and I tried to get an MP game running last night - without any luck. However, we shall try again tonight I hope.

...I'll find a pan somewhere..........

im on tonight - give me a poke when youre shooting!

jesus, id better download it!

JasonPratt

Quote from: sandman2575 on December 02, 2013, 12:48:01 PM
appreciate the feedback, guys.  I went ahead and bought it -- $25 doesn't really count as bank-breaking, I think, and shortcomings and all it sounds well worth it.

It's certainly colorful in regard to flying the dang planes. No yanking the stick around hoping to force the plane outside its performance envelope: in this game that means the plane and/or the engine falls apart, and you crash.

And while $25 may not be bank-breaking, buying extra planes can be. :) Especially since, as far as I can tell, planes cannot be bought one at a time off the RoF site and then used on Steam; they have to be bought in the Steam bundles. Which are cost-effective (when on sale), assuming you're willing to play for planes you don't necessarily want, but not so much when not on sale.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

#95
The career campaign in ROF still features randomly generated missions every day that you're listed to fly (if you're not recovering from wounds or wotnot).  The complete I generally see is that when you're actually flying missions, the other aircraft just spawn out of thin air specifically for your mission.  It's not a "living world" but randomly generated missions for your squadron and all the other aircraft flying about at the same time you are were there because they were 'rolled for'. 

It is still a randomly generated campaign.  There's just not some whole war being seamlessly simulated around you.  It's actually a bit like the Third Wire sims' randomized campaign systems, but has a better looking interface and details.  As for how well it generates missions, enemies, etc I don't have enough experience to say.


Jack Nastyface

Quote from: Nefaro on December 01, 2013, 10:33:30 AM
I ordered Picket Duty - Okinawa from NWS last Monday, and tossed in the Hell Over Korea expansion for B-29 Superfortress.  I figured that I'd get some of the B-17 Queen Of The Skies style solitaire gaming in while anxiously waiting on The Hunters, but it looks like I may be waiting on these for a bit too.  :-\  At least I can do so with the base B-29 game, but I think it's best setting is probably Korea .. much deadlier.  Really looking forward to running a destroyer in Picket Duty most of all.
Please please please post some impressions of Picket Duty when you get it...I just googled it and it looks great!
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Nefaro

#98
Quote from: Jack Nastyface on December 03, 2013, 01:58:52 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on December 01, 2013, 10:33:30 AM
I ordered Picket Duty - Okinawa from NWS last Monday, and tossed in the Hell Over Korea expansion for B-29 Superfortress.  I figured that I'd get some of the B-17 Queen Of The Skies style solitaire gaming in while anxiously waiting on The Hunters, but it looks like I may be waiting on these for a bit too.  :-\  At least I can do so with the base B-29 game, but I think it's best setting is probably Korea .. much deadlier.  Really looking forward to running a destroyer in Picket Duty most of all.
Please please please post some impressions of Picket Duty when you get it...I just googled it and it looks great!

I certainly will.. if I eventually get it.  Looks like one of those NWS orders that takes 2+ weeks to arrive.  ???  I hope the publisher still has copies of those two - especially Picket Duty.  Since that one just came out a within the last month, I'd expect they would.

smittyohio

Quote from: smittyohio on December 01, 2013, 08:03:12 PM
I think (hope) I'm done for the holiday.... at least until the Christmas sales.   I mean, I must have enough games in my collection already to keep me busy for the next 10 years... I really wish I was exaggerating... I need help.

Matrix
Battle Academy and all of the expansions
Commander: The Great War

Steam
Terraria   (suprisingly addictive...)
Commandos 1, 2, and 3
Final Fantasy VII
Rogue Legacy

GoG
Capitalism 2

Add on Commander: Europe at War and Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Sun

I gotta give my credit card a break until after Christmas...

JasonPratt

Quote from: Nefaro on December 02, 2013, 03:37:56 PM
[RoF] is still a randomly generated campaign.  There's just not some whole war being seamlessly simulated around you.  It's actually a bit like the Third Wire sims' randomized campaign systems, but has a better looking interface and details.  As for how well it generates missions, enemies, etc I don't have enough experience to say.

From what I gather, Thirdwire's First Eagles 2 involves a dynamic campaign generator where your opponents don't spawn right on top of you (and especially not until the game gets tired of them spawning on top of you!), but rather the units are going about their own business, including most units having nothing to do with your mission at all. I think I recall hearing the specific mission units do spawn, in order to 'protect' them from other units going about their business, but at a reasonable distance from the player. Meanwhile, mission success or failure affects how well the war is going, with harder difficulties providing less effect, but still the front reacts to the player's contributions. (There is a dynamic front possibility in the career generator for RoF, at least for PW's unofficial career generator--I don't recall if it's in the official beta--but I don't recall reading yet that the player affects it. The front just shifts according to the historical timeline.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JudgeDredd

#101
Right now it's

Tomb Raider
Splinter Cell
Crysis 3

no more as yet. F1 2013 at 50% discount at one point was still too expensive bearing in mind I've been suckered in to buying all 3 previous titles. I'll stay with 2012 until the price collapses...75% off or I'll wait for the next iteration and pick up 2013 then

And Battlefield 4
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

PanzersEast

Looks like this is it:

Prison Architect  $14.99
Steam Marines   $3.99
Survivor Squad   $4.49

FE:LH Dead World DLC $2.49
Sanctum 2 DLC   $1.58

Everything under $5 except Prison Architect which I really wanted.  Everything else was on the cheap and there were several games I would have liked to pick up, however I will wait and see if I can get them cheaper on the Winter Sale or just wait it out.  TC:SC Blacklist is one  I really would like to pickup as well as others on my wish list , but will just wait it out....


PE


FlickJax

OK succumbed - Scourge of War Gettysburg :) will probably pick up one more from Matrix before New Year.

I did however resist all the other sales including Steam :)

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on December 03, 2013, 08:27:08 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on December 02, 2013, 03:37:56 PM
[RoF] is still a randomly generated campaign.  There's just not some whole war being seamlessly simulated around you.  It's actually a bit like the Third Wire sims' randomized campaign systems, but has a better looking interface and details.  As for how well it generates missions, enemies, etc I don't have enough experience to say.

From what I gather, Thirdwire's First Eagles 2 involves a dynamic campaign generator where your opponents don't spawn right on top of you (and especially not until the game gets tired of them spawning on top of you!), but rather the units are going about their own business, including most units having nothing to do with your mission at all. I think I recall hearing the specific mission units do spawn, in order to 'protect' them from other units going about their business, but at a reasonable distance from the player. Meanwhile, mission success or failure affects how well the war is going, with harder difficulties providing less effect, but still the front reacts to the player's contributions. (There is a dynamic front possibility in the career generator for RoF, at least for PW's unofficial career generator--I don't recall if it's in the official beta--but I don't recall reading yet that the player affects it. The front just shifts according to the historical timeline.)

Yes, the Third Wire sims spawn groups of aircraft a ways off and sends them on their own missions.  Do the ones in ROF spawn them right in front of you?  I thought they spawned beyond visual range? 

I didn't always care that much about my individual mission success having a big effect on the overall war in these campaigns.  I mean.. you're just one man and machine, so I always thought such a system likely overstated your effect on the outcomes in the grand scheme of things.  I'd prefer something closer to reality than the one (super)man army effects on campaigns.  It's not a big deal either way for me, though.  Some people really want it.  *shrug* 

When it all comes down to it, the new version of OFF still sounds to be the best for campaigning.  Moreso since it has so many optional settings.  Now if they can only get it out in good shape this month, as stated, I'll certainly devle into that one too.  :D