Histwar: LG becomes Histwar Napoleon

Started by undercovergeek, December 04, 2013, 10:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


Gusington

Didn't see any mention of a grand campaign on the site...is it battles only?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Rayfer

I stayed away from the original because of all the negative comments I kept seeing in forums...I wonder how this will do?

FlickJax

looks prettier thats for sure, any beta testers amongst us?

Grim.Reaper

I always find it hard to find useful information on that game's site....does it say anywhere as to when the new version is expected to come out?  If you pre order now, do you get some kind of beta access soon?

Grim.Reaper

Nevermind, looks like it is released...always wanted to try this game beyond the demo, but never got into it...hopefully someone takes the plunge and lets us know if worth it:)

mikeck

I thought it was already out. He is just updated the graphics. Am I wrong?

I have to admit, I'm awfully surprised this game isn't bigger with this crew... Being a real time game with orders and command delay
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: mikeck on December 04, 2013, 07:36:37 PM
I thought it was already out. He is just updated the graphics. Am I wrong?

I have to admit, I'm awfully surprised this game isn't bigger with this crew... Being a real time game with orders and command delay

Information from that site always confuses me, not overly clear.  But I do think your right that for now it is just a graphics overhaul, but I believe they have other enhancements planned at some point.

I also agree that it is surprising how little this game is discussed in the wargaming circles.  The type of game it is should be right up my alley since it doesn't require micromanagement.  But when I tried the demo, just didn't click with me.

ArizonaTank

#8
Quote from: mikeck on December 04, 2013, 07:36:37 PM
I thought it was already out. He is just updated the graphics. Am I wrong?

I have to admit, I'm awfully surprised this game isn't bigger with this crew... Being a real time game with orders and command delay

The original game did not follow standard interface conventions....and that put alot of potential players off.  Also, there was a big issue with dynamic AI.  Basically, the AI started out with one plan and stuck to it no matter what. 

Some players also weren't comfortable with the concept.  Basically the game worked best giving commands at the corps level.  While you could order individual regiments, the game just didn't feel right at that level.  Wargamers tend to be control freaks when it comes to moving units, so this aspect didn't always sit well with players.

Also, the initial release was plagued by bugs...and this did not help the game's reputation during it's critical release period.

Since then, the dev has done quite a bit of work making the UI be more comfortable.  Hopefully the AI is better as well.  However, I personally will wait a bit on this...to let the game settle and let those initial bugs shake out.

In terms of pluses...the original game had a full editor and even a points based force selection scheme.  It had a great deal going for it.  The mod community had even done a 100 days mod, and a peninsula mod that the dev eventually fully integrated into the game. 

The dev has really stuck with his game...and you can tell it is a labor of love.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

jomni

#9
Is this a separate purchase?

Here is an AAR I did a few months back featuring the 1x1 unit representation.
http://jomnisgames.blogspot.sg/2013/07/les-grognards-training.html



ArizonaTank

Quote from: jomni on December 05, 2013, 02:51:52 AM
Is this a separate purchase?

Here is an AAR I did a few months back featuring the 1x1 unit representation.
http://jomnisgames.blogspot.sg/2013/07/les-grognards-training.html

Good question...I spent 5 min going through the site, and just got confused about what the price is and what you get for it.  Some sort of tiered / timed release, but not very clear...at least to me. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

mikeck

Arizona tank, yeah I get what you're saying...of course I play Scourge of War and Chancellorsville and those types of games which had a similar command hierarchy type of structure. I love it but again his store didn't click with me either. cant figure out what exactly it was
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Grim.Reaper

If I am reading the conversion rates correctly, would cost me about $60 (for the lowest tier)...a little too much for me to gamble on this one right now.  Hopefully they will do a new demo so I can test drive it first.

Rayfer

Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 05, 2013, 06:39:47 AM
Quote from: jomni on December 05, 2013, 02:51:52 AM
Is this a separate purchase?

Here is an AAR I did a few months back featuring the 1x1 unit representation.
http://jomnisgames.blogspot.sg/2013/07/les-grognards-training.html

Good question...I spent 5 min going through the site, and just got confused about what the price is and what you get for it.  Some sort of tiered / timed release, but not very clear...at least to me.

It's not just you....I was confused as well.

magnus

 He is making it as an Alpha release or like a kickstarter program.

If you buy any version of Histwar Napoleon you get all the updates that are going to be made to the game from then on.

Unfortunately it is really not spelled out for you. I think some of it is the language barrier.

The way it is written, in two months you will have, let's say, the "Eylau" edition and so forth using Napoleonic battles names for the versions.

I bought the original and the new Napoleon game. The 2D is vastly improved as is the 3D. The AI and game mechanics are still pretty much the same for now, but that will be the main focus of the updates. Along with a 1:1 perspective.