Histwar: LG becomes Histwar Napoleon

Started by undercovergeek, December 04, 2013, 10:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: magnus on December 05, 2013, 01:00:43 PM
He is making it as an Alpha release or like a kickstarter program.

If you buy any version of Histwar Napoleon you get all the updates that are going to be made to the game from then on.

Unfortunately it is really not spelled out for you. I think some of it is the language barrier.

The way it is written, in two months you will have, let's say, the "Eylau" edition and so forth using Napoleonic battles names for the versions.

I bought the original and the new Napoleon game. The 2D is vastly improved as is the 3D. The AI and game mechanics are still pretty much the same for now, but that will be the main focus of the updates. Along with a 1:1 perspective.

How do you like the game?  Are there any detailed reviews of the game anywhere?  Not a lot of discussion in the English forums so really hard to gauge.  On top of that, in order to even get access to post in their forums, you have to send the leader an email with your username and password for them to manually set you up.  Not the best practice in the world where you give someone your password which is supposed to be private.  I am sure they don't have any evil attempt, but nobody should ever know someone else's password.  Unless upon first login it requests you to change it.  I did send an email to see how it works, but haven't received any response which is another problem of the system where you have to wait until they have time to do it.

This along with the confusing info on the web site makes it hard for me to really want to explore this game....turning out to be too much work.

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

magnus

 I like the games, but I like being able to give orders from a generals point of view and watching my plans unfold or derail. I really loved the old SSG games that allowed that.

The one thing I really like about the new one, Napoleon, is watching a battalion/regiment go into all the different formations that you can use. I just get a kick out of ordering them around. The game is the only game so far that uses squares effectively and correctly. The AI will not let you just ride down it's troops.

I do not remember jumping through hoops to join the forum.I did join a few years ago so it must have changed.

At the moment there are no campaigns but that is also in the works.

I just read that you can copy over all the battles from the first game to Napoleon. I haven't tried it yet.

Most people played the first game only on the 2D map because although nice, it was not that great. The new 3D view is excellent.

I like Scourge of War but I still have problems dealing with insanity of the formations at times. Sometimes it looks like a madman directing a military tattoo.

You won't see that in these games, at least I never have.

I now remember something about in the not to distant future of being able to play out something as large as the Bavarian campaign in 1809. So the maps are supposed to get very large.




Grim.Reaper

WhAt battles come with the new game?  You mention copying the old ones and using which implies the battles are different than the first version.

Is the ai scripted or dynamic?  Does each battle play out roughly the same all the time?

magnus

 The AI is not scripted. They play out differently.

I believe five battles come with the the game right now. The older game had thirteen scenarios. The new one has eight.

There were also many different battles made by the forum members that will be or are good to use in the new game.

The game will also have a 1:1 scale in the future.

jomni

And of course there is a custom battle generator. This is the option that I usually use.

Grim.Reaper

hhhmmm....this is starting to really sound like something I should try.  I noticed the old version seems to have a reduced cost for something around $20 so might give that a try or just jump in with the new version.

For Magnus, thanks for all your detail, just one last question.  Is there any value to purchase the old version at this point?  Why would someone keep playing that version versus switching to the new version?  Is it because the old version would have different battles then the new version, although I think you mentioned the old battles could be played in the new version?  Just curious why they continue to sale the old version and say they will continue to update it.

agathosdaimon

well this looks like a must buy! favourite era and a game with command delays is always my preference - more realistic friction and fog of war. but the price is steep for now. That Histwar: Wellington will follow too is promising, though i am not so much interested in the battle of Waterloo but i guess this will follow more of his battles in Spain

Grim.Reaper

For those that want to try a demo, here is a link I found in one of their forums.  The current demo page no longer has it listed, since I am guessing they are preparing a new one for the latest version.  This demo is for the old version, but can give you an idea about the gameplay if your on the fence.

ftp://histwargames.com/HistWar-Demo-install.exe

spelk

I give up, I was more or less set on a purchase, but I have the old one, and I can't fathom out the new options, or costs... so I'll leave it. if the interface isn't getting an overhaul, consider me out.

Nefaro

Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 05, 2013, 06:39:47 AM
I spent 5 min going through the site, and just got confused about what the price is and what you get for it.  Some sort of tiered / timed release, but not very clear...at least to me.

That's a good metaphor for my whole experience trying out the older version.  It was a confusing mess no matter how much I tried to get into it.  It also didn't help that the graphics were looking very aged and the lines of soldiers were so similarly cloned that it put me off any immersion.  The latter could've been less of an issue if the gameplay was pleasant but it was more on the painful side.

Unfortunately our experiences with the earlier versions looks to have scared many on trying the second.  I also recall the price->value factor being a big issue before, as it was $60 or more last I checked a few years ago.  I hope the guy(s) finally get it done right, but I haven't much faith after all this time.  Looks like I'm not the only one.  :-\

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: spelk on December 06, 2013, 02:30:55 PM
I give up, I was more or less set on a purchase, but I have the old one, and I can't fathom out the new options, or costs... so I'll leave it. if the interface isn't getting an overhaul, consider me out.

Have to agree...the more time I try and spend to figure out what they have to offer, the less inclined I am to jump in.  Not sure why it has to be so difficult.  What is worse is I would like to post in their forums to ask these types of questions but because of their crazy forum sign-up methods, I can't get access.  Sent multiple emails to the place you need to for registration without a single response yet.  Even in my email I said I was interested in the game, which you would think would help expedite things.  But if this is an indication of their service for such a simple request, can't imagine how the other support might be.  This company is missing opportunities by having hard to understand information and less than optimal processes.

Interested buyers like me are simply going to move on....maybe this is why I never picked it up in the first place.

Skoop

^ I had the same problem registering at their site as well.  It took JMM several days to respond so I could post in the forums. 

This is an extremely indie team so the customer service is kinda of par for the course I guess.  I have the previous game and I really want to get this but there's too much out there to play at the moment.  I might let this bake for a while, the new campaign system seems promising though. 

This game would really rock if they gave it the slick RTS UI that Wargame ALB has for example.  The UI is the single most handicap of the game.  There is something really unique about the histwar games that keeps me from totally writing them off.

ArizonaTank

One of the great aspects of the original game (that I am certain is being continued), is the historical fidelity in terms of uniforms and formations...  Critical stuff for a recovering Napoleonics miniature gamer like myself.  Take a French line regiment for example.  The game displayed two battalions, 1 to 1 figure ratio, a command group with drummer in green jacket, sappers wearing aprons with axes and bearskins, voltigeurs, and grenadiers in their proper positions.  Puts other games to shame in that area. 

Also, the units fight using the tactics of the time.  Skirmishers stick fairly close to their parent unit for example...unlike the HPS games where they run all over the place. 

Also, as noted, the original game has all of the game editors you could want.  I have fond memories of making my own battles with SSI's Battles of Napoleon, and Histwar is closest I have seen since.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 07, 2013, 09:39:08 AM
One of the great aspects of the original game (that I am certain is being continued), is the historical fidelity in terms of uniforms and formations...  Critical stuff for a recovering Napoleonics miniature gamer like myself.  Take a French line regiment for example.  The game displayed two battalions, 1 to 1 figure ratio, a command group with drummer in green jacket, sappers wearing aprons with axes and bearskins, voltigeurs, and grenadiers in their proper positions.  Puts other games to shame in that area. 

Also, the units fight using the tactics of the time.  Skirmishers stick fairly close to their parent unit for example...unlike the HPS games where they run all over the place. 

Also, as noted, the original game has all of the game editors you could want.  I have fond memories of making my own battles with SSI's Battles of Napoleon, and Histwar is closest I have seen since.

Have to admit, I am pretty close to adding this as one of my impulse buys this weekend.....the last item that concerns me and hoping folks could provide some input.  I downloaded the demo and played around a bit, it is still the old version but guessing from a gameplay perspective the same.  Just not sure about the tactics and how you as a commander make a difference in this game.   Seems like there are large amounts of soldiers and the maps don't seem that large.  So what I haven't grasped yet as me being a corp commander, how do I really impact the game?  I know I can have my troops march to certain points, deploy lines, and many different formations....but how do you really know what tactics to employ?  I don't have a big background in this era of battles so that is likely part of the problem.  I just want to make sure I have enough to do within the battle to make a difference and not so much just watch a movie on how things unfold.  Don't get me wrong, I don't want to micro manage either so just trying to find the sweet spot of contributing without telling everyone what to do under common sense situations.

Still fires me up that I still can't get access to the forums since I am guessing that is the best place to get all this info, especially from the developers/testing team:(