Got nemeses?

Started by skeptical.platypus, December 05, 2013, 07:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeptical.platypus

The idea that I can have ~1550 ladybugs anonymously airdropped on my nemeses makes me feel inordinately powerful.

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Ladybugs-Gardens-Approximately-NectarTM/dp/B0057AZ5U8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386287812&sr=8-1&keywords=ladybugs

And to the Admins -- really? No Nemesis / Evil Genius / Muahahahaha section?!?!!

I don't even know who you guys are anymore.  ;)
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

BanzaiCat

Is it not "Nemesii?"

Certainly it's not Star Trek: Nemesis.

And besides, that air delivery system probably won't be around for a few more years. It's not good to tip your hand too early.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: skeptical.platypus on December 05, 2013, 07:10:53 PM
The idea that I can have ~1550 ladybugs anonymously airdropped on my nemeses makes me feel inordinately powerful.

http://www.amazon.com/Live-Ladybugs-Gardens-Approximately-NectarTM/dp/B0057AZ5U8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386287812&sr=8-1&keywords=ladybugs

And to the Admins -- really? No Nemesis / Evil Genius / Muahahahaha section?!?!!

Should they know you? Have you seeped out of the ooze that was the wargamer?
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

LongBlade

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on December 05, 2013, 09:07:36 PM
Quote from: skeptical.platypus on December 05, 2013, 07:10:53 PM

Should they know you? Have you seeped out of the ooze that was the wargamer?

He has, but the names have been changed to protect the innocent who knows. In any case we don't dwell on the past.

---------

Back to the original subject. I had a ladybug land on my arm this summer.

I thought, "How quaint."

Then it bit me.

Honest to God, it bit me. Then flew off.

Now I'm a bit less indulgent about them.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MetalDog

I deal with ladybugs often in my line of work.  And I would have disputed your assertion that they bite to the ends of the earth.  That is until one of them did the same thing to me several years ago.  They are no longer looked upon as innocently as before.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

skeptical.platypus

Wargamer appears to have become the spiritual inheritor of the Battlefront Cesspool, without the humor or quality. Unfortunately, that's largely biased on only a handful of rhymes with ducktards. More unfortunately, not all the rhymers are limited to wargamer.

But those aren't my nemesii, and neither is Wargamer. I'm a loofa, not a fighter.

You stake as many goats as I have, and eventually you'll earn the ire of many landscapers.

May the tiny nibbles of 1550 ladybugs swell their fists around their fetid greenhouse gas emitters. 
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

LongBlade

Quote from: MetalDog on December 05, 2013, 09:27:48 PM
I deal with ladybugs often in my line of work.  And I would have disputed your assertion that they bite to the ends of the earth.  That is until one of them did the same thing to me several years ago.  They are no longer looked upon as innocently as before.

The red spot stayed on my bicep for at least five days! I still can't get over the shock. Honestly I did absolutely nothing to deserve it, either.

I was cooking outside. Maybe the smoke from the grill irritated it. But I don't remember there being much smoke in the air where I was standing. Weird.

Who knew?

Staggerwing

Well, they are carnivorous after all. Many an innocent aphid never made it back home...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: LongBlade on December 05, 2013, 09:32:34 PM

The red spot stayed on my bicep for at least five days! I still can't get over the shock. Honestly I did absolutely nothing to deserve it, either.

I was cooking outside. Maybe the smoke from the grill irritated it. But I don't remember there being much smoke in the air where I was standing. Weird.

Who knew?

Are you in any way aphid-like?

LongBlade

Quote from: skeptical.platypus on December 05, 2013, 09:38:35 PM
Quote from: LongBlade on December 05, 2013, 09:32:34 PM

Who knew?

Are you in any way aphid-like?

A girl never tells.

skeptical.platypus

^Just loled a cat off my lap. Sort of like a spit-take, but furrier.

Toonces

I had no idea ladybugs could bite.  There is just so much about life that I don't know.   ???
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Mr. Bigglesworth

Ladybugs are predators. They eat mosquitoes (I think) so I like them.

I had a similar thing on vacation in Hawaii a large hard shell beetle with a very pretty metallic green coating dropped from a tree onto my forearm. Oh look, I held it out for my girlfriend to see, at which point it tried to ram it's long curved beak into my skin. I batted it off instantly. I still ended up with a golfball sized welt that went purple grey. Itched like hell. I think it was an assasin bug, which gets its name from ramming it's beak into other bugs, then vomitting to liquify them from the inside out. Then it slurps them up. Why it decided to bite a mammal is a mystery.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

MetalDog

Biggs, if you liked that, you should try a saddleback caterpillar.  Real pretty.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Windigo

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on December 06, 2013, 12:08:43 AM
Ladybugs are predators. They eat mosquitoes (I think) so I like them.

I had a similar thing on vacation in Hawaii a large hard shell beetle with a very pretty metallic green coating dropped from a tree onto my forearm. Oh look, I held it out for my girlfriend to see, at which point it tried to ram it's long curved beak into my skin. I batted it off instantly. I still ended up with a golfball sized welt that went purple grey. Itched like hell. I think it was an assasin bug, which gets its name from ramming it's beak into other bugs, then vomitting to liquify them from the inside out. Then it slurps them up. Why it decided to bite a mammal is a mystery.

hmm, I don't even have to break a sweat over this. *ahem* ladybugs eat aphids and whiteflys, and their larvae also eat the same... commonly called aphid lions

as for the assassin beetle... their main prey are insects, but anything with blood is dinner. It is reported that their bite is very damn painfull, almost on par with the bite from a bullet ant - in Central America they are a vector for Chagas Disease a nasty thing that makes lyme disease seem mild by comparison (although lyme disease left untreated can fuck you up good over the long haul)...

when I was in university I took several higher level entomology courses and gained access to the bug room (for both course requirements and as underpaid slave labour). The assassin bugs were studied there and they were fed by placing their flexible cages on restrained rabbits

A memorable incident was when I got bit by a tarantula I was handling, but only because I had handled crickets earlier without washing my hands (Tarantulas (several species at least) have taste buds in their feet). The closest comparable is being stabbed in the hand with a mechanical pencil.

To make this story complete... I got laid in the lab too and we were both wearing lab coats .... first time without a condom    ;D :D ;D :D ;D    8)
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.