Title Bout Championship Boxing 2013

Started by PanzersEast, December 10, 2013, 06:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

PanzersEast

I saw that it is on sale for $9 at GG.... I love sports management sims and never picked this one up as it does not have the fighter management/promotion side included (new release 2014).  I grew up watching M. Tyson knock the $&*( out of people and thought about picking it up to recreating fights etc....  If I read the forums correctly, you can create divisions of historical fighters and then let it auto schedule fights.  Not a boxing historian, but looks like some fun.

The next incarnation will have the management sim side to it.... but not sure when in 2K14.


PE

magnus

 I have played and owned all of this games incarnations back to a boardgame.

It is one of my favorite games. I do quibble sometimes with the ratings of some fighters, but if you are so inclined you can adjust them.

The only other boxing game like it was " ringside seat " from SSI. That was also an excellent game.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: magnus on December 10, 2013, 07:26:31 PM
I have played and owned all of this games incarnations back to a boardgame.

It is one of my favorite games. I do quibble sometimes with the ratings of some fighters, but if you are so inclined you can adjust them.

The only other boxing game like it was " ringside seat " from SSI. That was also an excellent game.

So how much of the fight do you actually control?  Do you have much influence over the outcome?  I would love a good boxing sim, but I want to feel like I make a difference.

magnus

#3
 Each fighter is given a certain amount of times/rounds that they can do strategies, but this is only if you are playing as the manager.

So let us say you are managing Rocky Marciano. he would have 5 times/rounds he could go for a knockout. A good boxer would have a few more choices. A one dimensional fighter ie. Rocky would only have limited choices.

Going for the knockout also increases the chance of your fighter getting hurt, where as fighting outside defensively would decrease your fighters ability to hurt his opponent.

Usually I just let the two fighters go at as in " what if".

I believe in the newest one you as the manager have a few choices of how to motivate your fighter.

I remember I did manage Ezzard Charles against Marciano once and picked go for the KO in the first round. Ezzard got lucky with one punch and then proceeded to do enough damage where they had to stop it. As a side note, in their second fight Marciano's nose was split down the middle from the eyebrow to the lip. It looked so bad that the ref game him one more round.He knocked out Charles in the 8th, saving his title.

I only mention the above because it was so close to reality while playing the game. This was in the boardgame edition but the computer one is pretty much one for one port.

If you just want to watch a fight, you can choose the venue,judges, referee and manager. I usually pick the generic so I do not know how much a big name manager would help the fighter.

The game was dropped this year by the original company and picked up by a UK company I believe. They had posted that they wanted to add a bunch of things to the program.



Grim.Reaper

Thanks for the details.   Looking at their forums seems like a number of issues still waiting to be fixed.  Tempted but not sure.

GJK

The action deck for my boardgame copy were ruined years ago and I've often kept an eye out for a replacement copy.  I might check artscow, maybe somebody has recreated the deck by now.  There is a Yahoo group for the boardgame version and they have many files including updated and current boxers.

I have a copy of the PC game from a few versions back but to me, it's not nearly as gripping as the boardgame was.  Maybe they've changed things since the copy that I have was released, but the boardgame offered the player more strategies (inside ring, ropes, punching style (slugger vs boxer), etc).  The PC game seemed to offer little of that (again, the version that I have) and really, all that you did was pick two fighters and then just click and click and click and click reading the paragraphs of text that was generated.  At least with the boardgame, you actually flip over the action deck cards and compare the values to your fighter and the style that your utilizing for that round.  I will have to go check to see how much closer they've come to replicating the boardgame; maybe it's spot on now and so I wouldn't need to replace my boardgame version.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Grim.Reaper


FlickJax

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 11, 2013, 08:19:01 PM
Now this boxing game looks cool...if it ever comes out.

https://www.facebook.com/RingKingsGame

Hope so been waiting for this to be developed for a long long time ......Title Bout is missing what this offers.

vyshka

Quote from: PanzersEast on December 10, 2013, 06:24:57 PM
I saw that it is on sale for $9 at GG.... I love sports management sims and never picked this one up as it does not have the fighter management/promotion side included (new release 2014).  I grew up watching M. Tyson knock the $&*( out of people and thought about picking it up to recreating fights etc....  If I read the forums correctly, you can create divisions of historical fighters and then let it auto schedule fights.  Not a boxing historian, but looks like some fun.

The next incarnation will have the management sim side to it.... but not sure when in 2K14.


PE

Hopefully the next incarnation will have the management side in it. We have been waiting for over a decade (going back to when the Trunzos were involved) for the game to get it added to the game. He seems to be doing a lot of work though and was successful at porting it over to his PISD libraries so it could run on systems other than windows. So there is hope finally that it will get done.

vyshka

Quote from: magnus on December 10, 2013, 08:33:44 PM
Each fighter is given a certain amount of times/rounds that they can do strategies, but this is only if you are playing as the manager.

So let us say you are managing Rocky Marciano. he would have 5 times/rounds he could go for a knockout. A good boxer would have a few more choices. A one dimensional fighter ie. Rocky would only have limited choices.

Going for the knockout also increases the chance of your fighter getting hurt, where as fighting outside defensively would decrease your fighters ability to hurt his opponent.

Usually I just let the two fighters go at as in " what if".

I believe in the newest one you as the manager have a few choices of how to motivate your fighter.

I remember I did manage Ezzard Charles against Marciano once and picked go for the KO in the first round. Ezzard got lucky with one punch and then proceeded to do enough damage where they had to stop it. As a side note, in their second fight Marciano's nose was split down the middle from the eyebrow to the lip. It looked so bad that the ref game him one more round.He knocked out Charles in the 8th, saving his title.

I only mention the above because it was so close to reality while playing the game. This was in the boardgame edition but the computer one is pretty much one for one port.

If you just want to watch a fight, you can choose the venue,judges, referee and manager. I usually pick the generic so I do not know how much a big name manager would help the fighter.

The game was dropped this year by the original company and picked up by a UK company I believe. They had posted that they wanted to add a bunch of things to the program.

I don't think it was dropped, but he bought out the rights from OOTP. He was working on it for OOTP prior to buying the rights to it, and has been involved with them before as well since OOTP is using his PISD libraries.

PanzersEast

Purchased and setup some auto-schedule fights and reset everyone to prime and active. I ended up going back only to the 80s which is a little before my time but was able to watch some pretty good fights.  Tyson knocked a guy out in the first round and then the next fight went unto round 8 with a TKO.  Pretty fun just auto-schedule and then doing any match-up you want.  Not sure how the rankings work or if they work, but just learning.


PE

Grim.Reaper

So picked this up as a little time waster....seems pretty interesting for only $9.  Kind of cool to match up boxers across the eras.  Just finished a fight between Ali and Tyson.  It was a slugfest, with really Tyson controlling the fight on the scorecard for most of the rounds.  Tyson knocked down Ali 3 times throughout the fight, but each time Ali rose to his feet.  However, on the last knockdown with only 3 seconds left in the fight, the ref stepped in and declared a TKO victory for Tyson!!!

I wonder what kind of real life chaos in the stands would have happened if a ref in real life stopped the fight with only 3 seconds left between two hugely popular fighters......medically speaking might have been the right move, but I can only imagine the riots.

CptHowdy

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on December 19, 2013, 07:12:56 AM
So picked this up as a little time waster....seems pretty interesting for only $9.  Kind of cool to match up boxers across the eras.  Just finished a fight between Ali and Tyson.  It was a slugfest, with really Tyson controlling the fight on the scorecard for most of the rounds.  Tyson knocked down Ali 3 times throughout the fight, but each time Ali rose to his feet.  However, on the last knockdown with only 3 seconds left in the fight, the ref stepped in and declared a TKO victory for Tyson!!!

I wonder what kind of real life chaos in the stands would have happened if a ref in real life stopped the fight with only 3 seconds left between two hugely popular fighters......medically speaking might have been the right move, but I can only imagine the riots.

http://www.boxingscene.com/twenty-years-later-chavez-taylor-i-remembered--26104

fight stopped with 2 seconds left!

Grim.Reaper

Interesting...I don't remember that so thanks for posting, nearly my same scenario.  Just can't imagine not holing on for 2-3 seconds, but I guess the ref's have to make a quick decision to protect the boxers.......unless they were betting on the other guy:)

Grim.Reaper

Tyson challenges Buster Douglas to a rematch.....pretty even fight until the 7th round, Tyson just crushes him by knocking him down 3 times to earn a TKO!

One kind of weird thing about the commentary, it seems just about every hit or commentary line gives you the impression the person just hit was just crushed and ready to crumble.  Hard to tell what hits really do damage versus the other since they seem to happen all the time....still enjoying it though.