IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Discussion

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 28, 2013, 06:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Damn, I wish I was worth a damn at Flight Sims just to play this.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 07, 2022, 03:48:42 PM
Battle for Normandy FINALLY released!

So, like 100 flights of Germans intercepting sky-high against the unending clouds of Allied air supremacy?

(Just got finished reading the first chapter of Churchill's final WW2 memoir, where he references the "100 flights". I realize the game will doubtless be well balanced.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 07, 2022, 10:09:18 PM

So, like 100 flights of Germans intercepting sky-high against the unending clouds of Allied air supremacy?

No.

But it does have an IL2 Mosquito. 

And the Ar. 234!   
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

JasonPratt

Anyone want to report some good campaign experiences so far? Maybe on multiplayer servers?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JasonPratt on September 09, 2022, 07:43:27 AM
Anyone want to report some good campaign experiences so far? Maybe on multiplayer servers?

It's an IL2 Campaign.  If you've played others you know what to expect. 

What you've got here is a great new map and some very interesting warbirds to play with on it.  I'll dig in on multiplayer this weekend and surely get my butt handed to me. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Father Ted

You need to give the guys who run the servers a chance to design some missions for the new map

Redwolf

I just wish this sucker would run on my desktop.

It just exits instantly with no error message. Last time I googled I only found people with the same problem, but no suggestions for solutions.

It runs on my laptop, but that one is a bit underpowered. Both Intel + NVidia Win10.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Father Ted on September 09, 2022, 11:41:39 AM

You need to give the guys who run the servers a chance to design some missions for the new map

Sure, though I wondered if they had gotten code early to work on that.  :nerd:

Skoop

I'm pretty sure there's some servers up running the shinny new map.  Combat box and Finnish are the best IL2 servers with persistent dynamic campaigns on them.  Wouldn't be surprised if Pat Wilson's campaign system is up and running with Normandy map.

Jarhead0331

This little tidbit was in the latest patch notes...I thought it was pretty cool.

Take a look at the last item on the list - the story of how it made it into the update is very interesting. After the release of Normandy, a gentleman who saw our trailer on YouTube recognized his father's Typhoon by its tactical number (!), and wrote about it in the comments. He offered to provide more information and send photos. Of course, we updated the information (it is in the description of the paint scheme 'Collins'), and we have found an excellent use for one photo. As you know, in our sim you can place a photo in the cockpit of aircraft and tanks - by default it is a woman corresponding to the era and country, but the player can replace it with an image of their own loved ones or even put some notes there. Now the Typhoon by default will have the real photo of the wife and child of the 245th squadron leader Jack Collins, who has been killed in action over Normandy - exactly the photo that he would have placed himself in the cockpit of his aircraft in 1944.

This is a kind of a digital monument, a tribute to the memory of the pilot and his family. We want to extend this practice to other aircraft and tanks in our simulator - if you happen to know relatives of a pilot or tank crew member who fought in one of them, and they still have wartime photographs showing his family, please tell them to contact us at pr@1cgs.net.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

al_infierno

That's pretty awesome.   O0  It would be cool to see more war games include tributes to the actual veterans who fought in the portrayed wars.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

solops

I'll send a pic of my dad if they need a B-24 bombardier or navigator.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Skoop

It's really cool, but I'd probably get bored staring at a face of a person I never knew.  I'd rather dress my wife up in a 40s outfit for my IL2 picture.

Even more helpful, I've seen some edit the pic with reference material for the plane.  Which reminds me, a kneeboard like dcs would go along way in quality of life for the sim. 

JasonPratt

I got an odd news release today from Il-2 through Steam for operation "Overlord", which... I don't quite understand, I thought the Normandy map, planes, and collector planes had been released last autumn? Is there a map expansion and different campaign on the way? More new planes in make/model? (Doesn't specify.)

At first I thought Steam was just throwing me old news up -- it does that sometimes. But nope, they released it today.