Gaming Resolutions for 2014

Started by vyshka, January 03, 2014, 07:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

tgb

My one resolution is to not buy anything unless it's on sale.  I doubt I'll be able to stick to that, although I did good with my resolution from last year- to not purchase any $80 games from Matrix that I will never play.

MetalDog

Quote from: vyshka on January 04, 2014, 12:50:28 AM
Quote from: MetalDog on January 04, 2014, 12:45:01 AM
Wait patiently for Warlock 2.  Pray that it's as addictive to me as Master of the Arcane.  Incidentally, vyshka, I can help you with your Civ IV MP game.  There are several of us, actually, who are capable of doing so.  I can't speak for them, but, I voulnteer to help make that happen for you.

I will probably take you guys up on that. It was a typo though and should have said civ 5. I haven't spent nearly as much time with it as I should have, so I figured having to play MP would motivate me to spend some time with the game. Do you guys use Giant Multiplayer Robot?

Well, if you get motivated to do that, then maybe I should, too.  I own V vanilla, but, have never played it.  As much as I have played all the previous iterations, I should probably get around to V.  An MP throw down might be the thing to get me moving in the right direction :)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Shelldrake

I also resolve to work through my backlog of games...a herculean task if there ever was one!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

airboy

I made these gaming resolutions several years ago and actually stuck to them:

1] Never buy a game unless it has been released, there are creditable reviews out there, and an established forum for the game
    just to ensure that the game itself is in working condition on release.  [I've kept this one since getting burned in 2006 on Space
    Empires 5).

2] Never, ever buy a game for full price unless it is in a genre that I really like a lot.  If it is a genre that I like some, but it does not
    hold my interest (like adventure games, very complex wargames, etc.....), then only buy them at a massive discount.  [I've kept
    this resolution since about 2001).

3] If it is in a genre I love, gets great reviews, and is not hyper complex - then buy it if I have time to play anything.

4] Stop playing any game when it stops being very fun (can be a good game, just get bored or anything else).  I sometimes have
    problems with this.

5] Don't let games ever stop me from doing real life entertainment with my friends & family that I really enjoy (sporting events,
    hunting, shooting, etc....).  Mostly kept since 2001.

6] If it is a game that I really love, make some screenshots and write a review.  If the game is that good, others should be told who
    are in the hobby.   [I've mostly done this.  I have not written one up for Dominions 3 or Dominions 4 yet - but I've written up
    almost everything else that is relatively new that I really liked since about 2006].

7] My time is more valuable than my budget limits.  The cost of even an expensive game is much less than the cost of even one,
    half-day hunting trip.  Don't let the price of a game which is good, gets good reviews, has a good fan forum - stop me from
    buying the game.  [I've also kept this one since 2001].

LongBlade

Quote from: MengJiao on January 03, 2014, 10:26:39 PM
Quote from: vyshka on January 03, 2014, 07:37:40 PM
This came up in a few posts in the first game of 2014 thread, but I figured it would make a good topic on it's own.

So what, if any, gaming resolutions do people have for this year?

Some that I have come up with:


  • Work on backlog (a neverending job)
  • Lower number of purchases in the coming year (in hopes of helping the first item)
  • Play in an online league for OOTP 14
  • Learn Dominions 4 and play in an MP game
  • Play in a Civ 4 MP game
  • Play a ladder game in at least the squad battles and campaign series ladders at theblitz
  • Finish a game of CK2
  • Learn and finish a game of EU4
  • Play through Skyrim: Legendary Edition that I just bought in the sales

I'm thinking about starting a gaming blog.

Send us a writing sample! We're always looking for more writers to publish on the front page :)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

LongBlade

I dislike New Year's Resolutions because I feel if I need to make a change, the turn of a calendar shouldn't be the trigger.

Nevertheless, stuff that's been on my mind for a while that I hope to accomplish more of is to get back to painting more minis. I've gotten out of the habit and want to return to it.

As for PC games? I always need to play more and write more about what I'm playing.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

MengJiao

Quote from: LongBlade on January 04, 2014, 12:29:07 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on January 03, 2014, 10:26:39 PM
Quote from: vyshka on January 03, 2014, 07:37:40 PM
This came up in a few posts in the first game of 2014 thread, but I figured it would make a good topic on it's own.

So what, if any, gaming resolutions do people have for this year?

Some that I have come up with:


  • Work on backlog (a neverending job)
  • Lower number of purchases in the coming year (in hopes of helping the first item)
  • Play in an online league for OOTP 14
  • Learn Dominions 4 and play in an MP game
  • Play in a Civ 4 MP game
  • Play a ladder game in at least the squad battles and campaign series ladders at theblitz
  • Finish a game of CK2
  • Learn and finish a game of EU4
  • Play through Skyrim: Legendary Edition that I just bought in the sales

I'm thinking about starting a gaming blog.

Send us a writing sample! We're always looking for more writers to publish on the front page :)

Resolution: send writing sample.

Kushan


  • Player more MP (made a good start on this one with MetalDog the other day)
  • Finish the various mod projects I have started
  • Start and finish the CK2/EUIV AAR I've thought about for months
  • Play a full game of Steel Wolves
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

MetalDog

Sorry, Kushan.  Haven't posted anywhere about the CKII MP connection.  Soon as I get a minute, I will.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JudgeDredd

#24
Good thread...

1. No pre-ordering
2. No buying on release
3. Complete at least 1 season of F1 2013 (before buying 2014!)
4. Complete at least 1 season of DTM Racing Experience
5. Complete a season on Football Manager 2014
6. Fly round the world in a plane in FSX (maybe buy a nice new plane for the ride)
7. Complete the Flashpoint Campaigns : Red Storm game (finish all missions and campaigns)
8. Try and get some value out of Command : Modern Air Naval Operations
9. Try and get into War in the East
10. Try and get into War in the Pacific : Admirals Edition

And most of all - not buy any games before any of the above are complete

In reality though I may find myself playing board games more and more. The ones I have are superb.

I really ought to take CMSF, CM BfN, CM FI and CM Afghanistan off my hard drive...they sit there teasing me and I just have a huge mental block getting into them
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

W8taminute

vyshka and MetalDog,

If you guys do setup some CiV MP session count me in.   ;)


As for gaming resolutions?  I resolve to play my games.  I will try to buy new games only when they're on sale.   :)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

MetalDog

Wouldn't dream of doing it without you, W8 :)
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones


"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bbmike

Hmm, try to regularly update my floundering website and play more of the games I've already bought.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Apocalypse 31

#28
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 03, 2014, 08:39:33 PM
Never to pre order, early access or buy on release day..... nothing to do with quality of release merely the fact that in 2 months time it will be half price - truly bonkers

^  #1 for me!

#2 - No more Matrix titles. I don't even want to know how much money I spent this past year on their games. Without going into a massive rant, I'll just do myself a favour and avoid any of their releases. I don't find them to be enjoyable.

#3 - Spend a lot less time gaming, and more time with the wife. There have been too many times that she's gone to bed while I'm immersed in one of my dozens of games. Life is too short, and it's kind of depressing when I see the amount of time I've spent on my Steam games.

FrontierCybrarian

#29
My 2014 resolution is about resolutions!

I resolve to replace my:

1920 x 1080 RESOLUTION Samsung monitor

with a

2560 x 1440 RESOLUTION Onix 27" monitor

Fun, right?
Task without Vision is Drudgery
Vision without Task is Dreaming
But Task with Vision is Destiny.

The Church News, January 4, 1958