Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance

Started by Jarhead0331, January 04, 2014, 09:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: steve58 on January 05, 2014, 06:54:04 PM
Does Forged Alliance need the first SC??  One of the reviews (from Amazon) I read indicated some features in FA may be missing if you don't have SC1  ???

Gmg also has the gold pack for 4.99 that contains both

Jarhead0331

Quote from: steve58 on January 05, 2014, 06:54:04 PM
Does Forged Alliance need the first SC??  One of the reviews (from Amazon) I read indicated some features in FA may be missing if you don't have SC1  ???

Nope. It is entirely stand alone.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Jarhead0331

I want to warn you guys. This game is seriously hard. The AI puts up a tremendous challenge and it isn't because it is cheating. The game makes me feel seriously incompetent.

You're all on notice.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Grim.Reaper

Yep, probably too much over my head even for $4......

undercovergeek


undercovergeek

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 05, 2014, 07:07:21 PM
I want to warn you guys. This game is seriously hard. The AI puts up a tremendous challenge and it isn't because it is cheating. The game makes me feel seriously incompetent.

You're all on notice.

are you playing skirmish or campaign?

Yskonyn

the campaign is baby-sit mode.
Skirmish is hard.. even on the non-agressive AI's.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grim.Reaper

How hectic is it?  Hard to keep track of everything going on?  Fast pace?  Just concerned wouldn't be able to keep up.  I am ok with tough ai.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Yskonyn on January 05, 2014, 07:39:06 PM
the campaign is baby-sit mode.
Skirmish is hard.. even on the non-agressive AI's.

I find both the campaign and skirmish modes very challenging. Even the first campaign mission is hard as heck. Just when I thought I finally had it licked, those damn colossus' showed up. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Yskonyn

It can get very hectic.
Because of the sizes of the maps being this big you will likely have to manage several fronts at the same time.
Luckily the game has some pretty neat orders feature that lets you automate certain stuff like factories delivering units to a rally point and linking a transport squadron to that rally point and a point where the action is so your newly produced units are automatically flown to the front.
All units will also auto attack enemies instead of just sitting there while getting shot.

But despite this, the game requires you to have pretty good diversion of attention skills!:)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

bobarossa

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 05, 2014, 07:07:21 PM
I want to warn you guys. This game is seriously hard. The AI puts up a tremendous challenge and it isn't because it is cheating. The game makes me feel seriously incompetent.

You're all on notice.

IIRC it's standalone, but you can't play some factions in skirmish(?) without the original. 

undercovergeek

purchased this morning, ill give it a spin when i get home

Yskonyn

Quote from: bobarossa on January 06, 2014, 09:55:56 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 05, 2014, 07:07:21 PM
I want to warn you guys. This game is seriously hard. The AI puts up a tremendous challenge and it isn't because it is cheating. The game makes me feel seriously incompetent.

You're all on notice.

IIRC it's standalone, but you can't play some factions in skirmish(?) without the original.

Not true. It's fully standalone. :)
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 06, 2014, 12:04:27 PM
purchased this morning, ill give it a spin when i get home

whew...I missed the sale at GMG so I am not longer tempted to buy:)  Will be interested in what you think of it.

steve58

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 06, 2014, 04:20:07 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on January 06, 2014, 12:04:27 PM
purchased this morning, ill give it a spin when i get home

whew...I missed the sale at GMG so I am not longer tempted to buy:)  Will be interested in what you think of it.

;D  same with me.  I checked GMG after lunch and the Gold edition was back to $20...so no go.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)