Main Menu

Wargame: Red Dragon

Started by RooksBailey, January 08, 2014, 02:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mikeck

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

undercovergeek


Nefaro

I want to get back into AirLand Battle again, before long. 

Any of you guys been playing lately?

Grim.Reaper


Dolan50

Red Dragon looks very interesting,but I'm afraid I agree with this poster about the game.

"Wargame is so close to being the ultimate RTS but unfortunately its strength is its weakness. The sheer scale of the battles and pace of the game along with the necessity to micro manage so may aspects such as supplies means there isn't time to zoom in and appreciate the battles and you basically play games with icons. Also to play a game properly you would need a few hours because the time limits of even 40 minutes simply are not long enough to develop a viable strategy to win the battle overall - in fact many battles are just getting interesting when the time limit is up. Of course people don't want to play a game for hours at a time but like I say, its strength is its weakness and I'm not sure how they could change things to make it more immersive (get you closer tot he action) and still keep the scale."

Graviteam right now has the scale about right for this type of RTS.
Unfortunately Graviteam also seems to be moving into the same direction as WG:ALB.
I personally would like to see the game slowed down some with smaller units to command so you can spend more time at the ground level with your troops and less time with your camera in the clouds.

I think  if this issue above all else is addressed this could be a really great game,otherwise the game looks truly spectacular.
A Corporate Executive,a Democrat and a Republican walk into a room.The CEO walks in first and notices 10 cookies on a plate and pockets 9 of them,then turns to the Republican and whispers in his ear  and says "The Democrat is trying to steal your cookie".

Apocalypse 31

Congratulations to Eugen.

With each release, you are getting closer to turning Wargame into Command and Conquer: Red Alert.

>:(


Mr. Bigglesworth

Sharp rocks: Caveman Command.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

undercovergeek

Quote from: Dolan50 on February 22, 2014, 09:55:53 AM
Red Dragon looks very interesting,but I'm afraid I agree with this poster about the game.

"Wargame is so close to being the ultimate RTS but unfortunately its strength is its weakness. The sheer scale of the battles and pace of the game along with the necessity to micro manage so may aspects such as supplies means there isn't time to zoom in and appreciate the battles and you basically play games with icons. Also to play a game properly you would need a few hours because the time limits of even 40 minutes simply are not long enough to develop a viable strategy to win the battle overall - in fact many battles are just getting interesting when the time limit is up. Of course people don't want to play a game for hours at a time but like I say, its strength is its weakness and I'm not sure how they could change things to make it more immersive (get you closer tot he action) and still keep the scale."

Graviteam right now has the scale about right for this type of RTS.
Unfortunately Graviteam also seems to be moving into the same direction as WG:ALB.
I personally would like to see the game slowed down some with smaller units to command so you can spend more time at the ground level with your troops and less time with your camera in the clouds.

I think  if this issue above all else is addressed this could be a really great game,otherwise the game looks truly spectacular.

this will be the game with slow down feature

Grim.Reaper


PanzersEast

Can anyone verify that there is an option to slow down the game from the hectic.... rush.


PE

Tinkershuffle

Beta is mp only so no chance to test that yet.

Ubercat

Do these games have team options? Or is it always 1 vs. 1? It seems to me that the problems might be solved by using teams and having an overall commander deal with the logistics and overall strategy, leaving subordinates to command most of the troops on the ground.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Skoop

I jumped in to the beta, it's mp only right now.  Pretty much the same frantic gameplay as ALB.  The few mp matches I've played have been cool, no rage quitters leaving you 1 against 4 S soon as the going gets tough.  I think that's mainly because people playing the beta are Probably more serious fans.  I recommend playing a 4v4 and just pick a couple objectives to go for, games quite manageable this way.

I to am hoping for good results with the new slowed down time compression and new campaign system.  This game could be so good in single player, for the life of me I can't understand why they won't let you play the campaign with unlimited time and pause time to give orders like every other rts out there.

undercovergeek

Quote from: PanzersEast on March 25, 2014, 10:49:49 AM
Can anyone verify that there is an option to slow down the game from the hectic.... rush.


PE

i was looking for this the other day, like its now some kind of urban myth - i havent seen anyone mention it since

MIGMaster

If this thing played at the same rate as Harpoon it would be ok - but, it's just like trying to organize a pre-schoolers chess tournament on a roller coaster !