Main Menu

WitE Question

Started by JudgeDredd, January 18, 2014, 11:22:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

JudgeDredd

What are the little lines between the combat value and movement value?

Seemingly, I can't find it in the manual. I can't find a page that lays out the icons and the values/markings
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

ComradeP

I haven't touched the game recently, but could it be those lines are simply the indicator that you're displaying Offensive CV+MP's instead of Offensive CV+Defensive CV on the counters?
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

JudgeDredd

I mean the little marks between the CV and Movement values as below



Some have got "-", some have got "=" and I'm sure I've seen some have 3. I seem to think it's to do with force size - but absolutely not sure at all.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

chemkid

maybe this...

Quote13.2.1.  FoW and DL Information
As detection level increases, the on-map unit and its hex pop up will display the following information:
Detection Level 1: If the unit is an air base, the type will be displayed; otherwise the unit counter will be blank.
Detection Level 3: The Unit type will be displayed
Detection Level 5: The Unit name, unit size and CV will be displayed. Enemy units that start adjacent to friendly units will have a minimum
DL of 5.
Detection Level 7: Soft factors can be observed (5.1.3).
Stacked Units:  When  FoW  is  enabled,  no  CV/MP  numbers  will  be  printed  on  an  enemy  counter  if  there  is  no  unit  with  a  detection  level
greater than 4 in the stack. If there are units with DLs both greater than four and four or less in a stack, numbers will be printed, and a '?' will
be printed instead of the -  or = between the numbers to indicate that in addition  to the estimated CV strength in the hex, there are units of
unknown  strength  in  the  hex.  If  the  top  unit  in  the  stack  has  a  DL  of  1  or  2,  a  blank  unit  type  box  will  appear  on  the  top  unit  counter  to
indicate it is of an unknown type.

Air Mission Graphics:  The graphic display (16.1.4) of any enemy air interdiction and interception missions on the map area will only show
the direction the enemy air group units came from, not the entire line back to the air base unit they flew in from when FoW is enabled.
Enemy Fortification Levels:  When FoW is enabled, information on enemy fortification levels (15.3.2) will only be displayed for hexes that
are adjacent to a friendly unit or for hexes that contain a detected enemy unit with a DL of at least three.

cheers!
chem!

ComradeP

Yeah Judge, that is what I thought it was. The German infantry division displays Offensive CV-MP's, the Soviet Tank division displays Offensive CV-Defensive CV.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

JudgeDredd

Thanks - but believe it or not, I am still none the wiser.

It mentions the - and = won't be displayed - but it doesn't say what they are...does it?
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

lol - I know the values (thanks all the same ComradeP) - CV and MV for your counter, CV and DV for enemy counter. It's the - and = in the middle I don't get.

A page (a single page - or two depending on complexity) in the rather extensive manual showing counters and pointing out the values and what they are (as you get in just about any manual EVER - particularly on board games it's extremely noticeable) would've been rather helpful.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

ComradeP

I mean the "-" indicates the second value is MP's, and the "=" indicates the second value is defensive CV.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

JudgeDredd

Really? That seems a bit weird - though it would explain why all my units are showing - and all the Soviet units (that I have detected) are showing =

Well - thanks  ;D
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

And I wish it wouldn't show total MPs for the stack. I can see how it could be useful, but when you have an HQ stacked with a unit, it keeps making me bloody think I have a unit I can move. I end up going round and round in circles.

I'm starting to see why I shelved this so long ago!  ::)
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

ComradeP

This was one of those questions with a simple answer that took a fairly long while to explain because it seemed we were talking about different things.

"War is very simple, but in War the simplest things become very difficult" - Clausewitz.

You can toggle what your units display in the options menu (the menu where you can also change the time reports stay on screen and the sound settings and the like).

The total or highest MP's for the stack thing is indeed annoying, although not as much as I had initially feared. Generally speaking, there will be fewer situations than you might think where you have units with significantly different max MP's in one hex.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

JudgeDredd

ah...ok. Thanks ComradeP
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

undercovergeek

you have WitP AE and WitE?

surely youve shunned the alcoholic females, packed up the PC and bike and become a hermit somewhere?

JudgeDredd

I know - I buy some really useless projects!  ::)
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Rayfer

Quote from: undercovergeek on January 18, 2014, 12:59:48 PM
you have WitP AE and WitE?

surely youve shunned the alcoholic females, packed up the PC and bike and become a hermit somewhere?

Though both are monster games in size and scope, I found WitE far more playable and not nearly as complicated as WitP, which to me was more than I could handle and I gave up on it.