Surprise! Permanent Price Reductions at Matrix

Started by Grim.Reaper, January 20, 2014, 01:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

airboy

How well has Crown of Glory: Emperors Edition held up?  That one looked appealing.

sandman2575

Quote from: airboy on January 21, 2014, 09:57:02 PM
How well has Crown of Glory: Emperors Edition held up?  That one looked appealing.

+1 -- would be interested in feedback as well on this. 

Forge of Freedom has been near the top of my "Neglected Games I Bought Years Ago That I'm Still Determined To Learn...At Some Point" list.  CoG is same developer, no?  It has long been near the top of my "Games That Intrigue Me But For Some Reason Still Haven't Bought" list.... Along with Histwar les Grognards.   ...not sure why I can't quite get into the Napoleonics -- I really want to ... At some point

Nefaro

I still recommend Hannibal: Rome and Carthage for those who want a very tabletop-like experience against one of the toughest AIs I've ever seen.

It's made specifically for single-player as Hannibal, which may initially seem to be a con, but that also means the difficulty and gameplay is tailored for it.  It's also probably the only strategy game where the AI could regularly deal me a defeat via intelligent maneuvers that took me by surprise.   Just on the regular difficulty setting.

BanzaiCat

Is Crown of Glory the Crown of Glory: Europe in the time of Napoleon? I can't imagine there's another.

I own it, but I've never played it. I got it from them at one of the Origins or Gencon years back. Always wanted to try it though. It'll have to be on my laptop since my DVD drive in my desktop is fubar.

Tuna

I own Crown of Glory, but could never get into it.. I don't know why, because I really loved Forge of Freedom. Maybe I should've given it a lil more time. Resolution is kind of low and can't be changed(a reason, I probably don't go back to it).

Martok

$19.99 is a good price for Revolution Under Siege. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

vyshka

Quote from: Toonces on January 20, 2014, 04:36:58 PM
There are a few nice prices there- Empires in Arms, TOAW3 and Uncommon Valor are all very reasonably priced IMHO.

Is Empires in Arms even playable? My understanding was the AI was a disaster, and MP wasn't much better.

FarAway Sooner

My overall take on the price changes:  I'm happy to see the price reductions, and I wish them luck with their business model.  But for me, all of those games are still priced above what I'd be willing to pay for them.

I'm just one consumer, and I get that Matrix has a niche marketing strategy.  However, I've got to suspect that I'm not the only potential client out there who's interested in those kinds of games, but is not eager to dive back into the genre of my yesteryear for full price when there are so many interesting $10 games out there.

I wish they'd knock the price down to $19.95 on a handful of their more popular titles and see what happens to their sales volumes.

bbmike

Quote from: sandman2575 on January 21, 2014, 10:14:05 PM
Forge of Freedom has been near the top of my "Neglected Games I Bought Years Ago That I'm Still Determined To Learn...At Some Point" list.  CoG is same developer, no?  It has long been near the top of my "Games That Intrigue Me But For Some Reason Still Haven't Bought" list.... Along with Histwar les Grognards.   ...not sure why I can't quite get into the Napoleonics -- I really want to ... At some point

Crown of Glory EE was indeed like Forge of Freedom (yes, same developer). The best part was you could have tactical naval battles like the land battles in FoF. I've always meant to go back to this one as well at some point.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bobarossa

Matrix should do an experiment.  Auction off ten copies of each game.  That would give them a read on what people would like to pay for these games.  If they like the result, they can auction off ten more.  I suppose it's possible we buyers would collude to not offer more than $1 for each game and let them lottery pick the ten winners.