Making History Team Announces Making History: The Great War

Started by son_of_montfort, March 29, 2012, 11:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

son_of_montfort

http://making-history.com/blog/post/443877

Quote
"Making History: The Great War" in development - due later this year!

We are happy to announce that we are in development on the next title in the Making History series. "The Great War" will focus on the events leading up to and through World War I and it's aftermath. One of the major additions to the game will be the need to develop a strategy for governing your conquests. The colony and puppet system will be expanded, and governing policies added. People don't like to be subjugated, and you will have to strike the right balance between the carrot and the stick to keep everyone in line. We'll also be bringing you all the cool military technology of the day such as Artillery (the Paris Gun, Trench Mortars), Warplanes (Fokker Triplane, Sopwith Camel), Submarines, Poison Gas and Chemicals, and more. World War I is a great period for Making History - diplomacy was fluid and mostly non-ideological, fighting varied across the fronts from static trench warfare in France to wide open maneuvering in the Arabian desert, and several key nations were available to the highest bidder. The game will ship with a fully functional editor and LAN and web based mutliplayer. More to come as we progress and as always we appreciate your input and continued support!
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Jarhead0331

This is big news. I'd like to see them get more publicity and support.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Nefaro

Yay!  It's not WW2!  ;D

MH2 has been improved quite a bit after some of the latest updates.  Hopefully The Great War won't be starting from zero again.

tgb

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 30, 2012, 05:29:10 AM
This is big news. I'd like to see them get more publicity and support.

I'd like to see them produce something that plays more like a fun game and less like a classroom learning tool.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: tgb on March 30, 2012, 08:22:49 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 30, 2012, 05:29:10 AM
This is big news. I'd like to see them get more publicity and support.

I'd like to see them produce something that plays more like a fun game and less like a classroom learning tool.

Have you really given the games a chance?  I find them to be a lot of fun and do not get a "class room" feel from them at all...not any more than Hearts of Iron, anyway.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

tgb

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 30, 2012, 08:29:38 AM
Quote from: tgb on March 30, 2012, 08:22:49 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 30, 2012, 05:29:10 AM
This is big news. I'd like to see them get more publicity and support.

I'd like to see them produce something that plays more like a fun game and less like a classroom learning tool.

Have you really given the games a chance?  I find them to be a lot of fun and do not get a "class room" feel from them at all...not any more than Hearts of Iron, anyway.

I played the first one a lot.  In fact, I was in the beta.  I found it dry and not particularly interesting.  I looked at the demo for the second, but that's as far as I got.

Gusington

Did not play the first games at all but I will definitely be buying this one sight unseen. I actually like the description of it being like a classroom tool and I also like the "events leading up to" WWI...not enough games include that time period.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ArizonaTank

Great idea, but hope they significantly rework the mechanics to fit the period. 
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

eyebiter

.
#9
.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

MuzzyDev

Thanks, guys!  So far it's been a blast developing this game.  WWI it a very cool time period, and while perhaps not well suited to a tactical wargame because of the static trench warfare, it is perfect for a grand strategy game, where you'll be having to develop new tech to get an offensive edge before you run out of cash.  This will be much less of a sandbox game compared to our last games.  We want players to get the feeling that there is a lot of stuff going on around them in the world and what they do will affect that.  Plus, while WWII was pretty clearly settled into good guys/bad guys, Axis and Allies, WWI was not like that at all.  People changed sides, manipulated allies, had to deal with internal revolutions, all kinds of cool stuff.  And WWI combat lends itself well to grand strategy.  Getting the right troops and materiel to the right locations to prevent breakthroughs early on, getting artillery in place to bombard adjacent regions, destroying rail to slow movements, WWI is perfect for that style of gameplay.

I would say right now the game is in better shape than MHII was when we released it.  In fact, as we've developed TGW, we've back-ported what we could into MHII.  This last update, for example, is using the new map we created for TGW! 

We also plan on doing early access on Steam and pre-release beta at other locations, so we can get it in front of as many eyes as possible and get feedback before official release.

Chris--



Chris Parsons
Product Manager, Muzzy Lane

son_of_montfort

Chris,

I noticed that the original announcement was around 2 years ago next month. Any word on the upcoming early access release dates or a projection of what quarter the final release can be expected?

I have always wanted to find a way to use this game in the classroom. Eventually, my "grand strategy" is to create an upper-level history methodology course that focuses on history in gaming, and use the Muzzy Lane games as one of our semester's examples.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

bbmike

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 04, 2014, 03:05:11 PM
I noticed that the original announcement was around 2 years ago next month.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. I was a bit confused by the 'announcement' that this was in development. I was hoping this was a month away release date along with the announcement of Making History: The Civil War.  8)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

MuzzyDev

We started developing the game two years ago.  It's taken a while because, unlike earlier times, we are developing a lot of games now!  So our MH team was obviously smaller than when we were just working on one game.  Plus, we really iterated a lot on design before settling on the direction we wanted.  Something that worked for the period and combined the best elements of previous games.  So far, it's looking pretty good!

We will be doing Steam early access, and a pre-order beta.  I'm sure I'll be letting folks here know when it happens!

Chris--
Chris Parsons
Product Manager, Muzzy Lane