Consolidated Heroes of Stalingrad thread

Started by Barthheart, January 21, 2014, 02:01:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Barthheart

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 11, 2014, 05:01:34 PM
I have been burned waaaaay too many times to jump in first day.

I'll be waiting.

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 11, 2014, 07:17:45 PM
I'll certainly be picking this up quick...unless it turns out bad, or costs some inexplicable amount of money.  :D

Guys, I've been testing this fer a few years now. It's it great shape, plays just like the board game, is fun and challenging.
Not sure what else you want to hear.
Not trying to get you all to buy it first day, but it's not a half baked pile....  ;)

smittyohio

From a replayability standpoint, how does this game hold up?   How many scenarios, and how long on average to play?  Any randomness to make you want to play a scenario more than once? 

Is there a (usable) scenario editor?   More than a little gunshy after COH.  Since there's no PBEM, a good scenario editor is a must to extend the game's life.   COH's scenario editor is not user friendly, poorly documented, and there is almost NO support from Matrix or the developers for people trying to figure it out.   Matrix usually does a pretty good job supporting their titles, but they stay away from COH's forums like it has the plague.

Barthheart

Quote from: smittyohio on February 11, 2014, 08:47:08 PM
From a replayability standpoint, how does this game hold up?   How many scenarios, and how long on average to play?  Any randomness to make you want to play a scenario more than once? 

Is there a (usable) scenario editor?   More than a little gunshy after COH.  Since there's no PBEM, a good scenario editor is a must to extend the game's life.   COH's scenario editor is not user friendly, poorly documented, and there is almost NO support from Matrix or the developers for people trying to figure it out.   Matrix usually does a pretty good job supporting their titles, but they stay away from COH's forums like it has the plague.

Replayablility: It holds up well. I like playing scenarios again to try different way to win or to win faster. There is no "one way" to win a scenario, various tactics can be used to win. There are 3 levels of difficulty. There are 2 campaigns, one German and one Russian, where you get to take your core troopers from one scenario to the next. There is some branching in the campaigns. German campaign is something like 17 scenarios, Russian is about 18... can't remember exact numbers. About a dozen stand alone scenarios. Small scenarios can take about an hour to play, larger ones can take a couple. Only a couple of scenarios have random setup, but most multiplayer scenarios have player's setting up their forces.

The editor is workable but the is not currently documented. Plans are to improve this.
There is no PBEM but there is live MP capability through Slitherine's server. Log on and meet people in the lobby to setup and play games.

Richie61

I was involved in the later beta testing. I own 6 of the BoH board games and this plays just like them ;) I think people will like this title!  :)
Ed
aka Richie61

"If You Don't Stand for Something, You'll Fall for Anything"

Bison

It's on my short list to purchase.  I enjoyed Conflict of Heroes and really hope that Slitherine/Matrix continue to develop board game conversions. 

undercovergeek

BH - is there/does there need to be any explanation for not even starting the marketing campaign until after the game is released - did the release date sneak up on Matrix somehow?

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 11, 2014, 07:05:47 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 11, 2014, 05:01:34 PM
I have been burned waaaaay too many times to jump in first day.

I'll be waiting.

Do I sense a day #2 purchase:)
lol - jesus...I didn't expect to wait that long...I was thinking more along the lines of later on Day 1  :P
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Barthheart on February 11, 2014, 08:27:26 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 11, 2014, 05:01:34 PM
I have been burned waaaaay too many times to jump in first day.

I'll be waiting.

Quote from: Arctic Blast on February 11, 2014, 07:17:45 PM
I'll certainly be picking this up quick...unless it turns out bad, or costs some inexplicable amount of money.  :D

Guys, I've been testing this fer a few years now. It's it great shape, plays just like the board game, is fun and challenging.
Not sure what else you want to hear.
Not trying to get you all to buy it first day, but it's not a half baked pile....  ;)
That's good enough for me. Crumbled already (well, given it's priced right for me)
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 12, 2014, 02:28:35 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on February 11, 2014, 07:05:47 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on February 11, 2014, 05:01:34 PM
I have been burned waaaaay too many times to jump in first day.

I'll be waiting.

Do I sense a day #2 purchase:)
lol - jesus...I didn't expect to wait that long...I was thinking more along the lines of later on Day 1  :P

Too funny:). I guess I will wait to see your impressions later today:)

JudgeDredd

The weekend. I won't have time today. But I'm off Thursday and Friday.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Barthheart

Quote from: undercovergeek on February 12, 2014, 01:09:39 AM
BH - is there/does there need to be any explanation for not even starting the marketing campaign until after the game is released - did the release date sneak up on Matrix somehow?

I'm not involved in that side of things so I have no idea. I pretty disappointed about the lack of fanfare as well.... But I've come to realize that Matrix is not the same company as before the merger....  :P

undercovergeek

#56
yeah, their rolling banner is a bit cheeky too

'grogheads awards matrix games'

pffft

$40 dollars for download is cheaper than expected

Bison

I think that's a fair and reasonable price.  Thank God.

undercovergeek

Quote from: Bison on February 12, 2014, 07:06:32 AM
I think that's a fair and reasonable price.  Thank God.

the weird thing is there is noone aware its arrival

i suppose it stops the usual furore over price and all the other crap that flies with a day 1 release - 2 hours after release there is a guy from the UK and 1 from Spain happy its out

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people