Main Menu

Insurgency

Started by Toonces, January 25, 2014, 02:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Toonces

I saw this mentioned a few times in Friday threads, but I haven't seen too much general chatter about it on the boards.

Who all is playing this and how do you like it?  From what I've read is sounds like a very tactical MOUO (?) game that should appeal to several forum members. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Grim.Reaper

Am I correct that this is only MP?  If so, too bad, does look good....

Toonces

From what I can tell it's like RO2 with bots you can play with.  But I have no idea how good the bots are.

I don't know much about the game.  I'm looking for info; I can't really provide info.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Grim.Reaper

Ok, thanks...I'll keep an eye on it...looking through their forums, seems to be a mix of impressions....

jomni

#4
I hear it's not exactly like the wonderful Insurgency mod for Valve / Source / Counter Strike a few years back.  But I might just try to verify.

jomni

Ok, I got it.  Not really impressed.
Bad sounds, plays like counter strike, short missions, small maps, no cover mechanism, clunky movement, occasional crashing.
A good effort but not as we'll done as RO2.

Toonces

Thanks for taking one for the team.  Guess I'll pass for now.   :(
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Bardolph

I played the hell out of the Insurgency mod, like 500 hours. It had a few issues but was a lot of fun and in a happy place between the CS/CoD style games and ARMA. Fluid movement but deadly gunplay... I spent a lot of time waiting to respawn when I started out.
I picked up the new version during the Thanksgiving sale but other than putzing about with bots on one map haven't really given it a fair go yet. The community is smaller than it used to be for sure, but there are some good folks still hanging around and perhaps it will pick up a few players now.
Try the mod, it is still available for free if you have any of the HL2 series games. There is basically one active server these days but it was usually full when I was playing back in November/December. It is run by a rather irascible character, but the mute function does work ;)
Like most games, when played with a team that is trying and communicating and working together it can be a hell of a lot of fun. When you are on a team full of people fresh off the Golgafrincham "B" Ark it will make you alt-F4.

Apocalypse 31

#8
Quote from: jomni on January 25, 2014, 09:59:44 PM
Ok, I got it.  Not really impressed.
Bad sounds, plays like counter strike, short missions, small maps, no cover mechanism, clunky movement, occasional crashing.
A good effort but not as we'll done as RO2.

I really dig the player movement. It's simple, and reminds me of Ravensheild.

Sounds are moddable

Crashing and disconnected are a huge issue right now. Something that NWI did in the last 2 beta patches destroyed the net code.

AI bots are hit or miss; Sometimes they put up a good fight, sometimes they insta-headshot you from across the map, and sometimes they walk up to you without firing a shot. another issue is the view distance; the game uses a fog to limit view distance and preserve performance. The fog is not adjustable, and applies to all systems.... Except for the bots, who can engage you from across the map without you being able to see them.

Another issue that I have is the objective system in coop (I don't play PvP). Some objectives are weapons caches that require a demo charge or two grenades to be destroyed. The problem is that only one guy carries demo charges, and only a few others can carry one grenade. If the demo guy dies and nobody has grenades left, then it requires a resupply. Some of the maps have bugged resupply points so your out of luck.

Overall, the game is on track and the developers say that they're dedicated to the development of the game. I have a little over 50 hours in the game, and it's doing a great job filling the Ghost Recon / Ravenshield void in my life.


jomni

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on January 26, 2014, 12:14:12 AM
Another issue that I have is the objective system in coop (I don't play PvP). Some objectives are weapons caches that require a demo charge or two grenades to be destroyed. The problem is that only one guy carries demo charges, and only a few others can carry one grenade. If the demo guy dies and nobody has grenades left, then it requires a resupply. Some of the maps have bugged resupply points so your out of luck.

Maybe I should try coop.  I've been playing pvp and it feels like counter strike.

Nefaro

Played a couple matches of Insurgency tonight. 

I kinda dig it for some short & quick action. 

The movement and cover positioning isn't as flaky as RO2.  Maps seem a bit claustrophobic but I guess that's the pedigree the game has from Counterstrike and such.  At least it's not at COD levels.

If I spend time to get more familiar, I can see it as a good FPS getaway.  Ran support role with a SAW in that mode with 3 cap points so I haven't seen all the goods yet.

jomni

I played this to death. Coop is really fun. The bots are super deadly. But again, maps are small.

MengJiao

Quote from: jomni on January 23, 2015, 12:53:41 AM
I played this to death. Coop is really fun. The bots are super deadly. But again, maps are small.

  I'm playing this with BOTs.  The maps are mostly kind of bad, but I do like the night map for Buhriz.  Other things I like are that the
Insurgeny narrator talky man sounds just like the slightly "ethnic" talky man from Payday.  So Insurgency is kind of like payday, but without
any money.  The game is slightly buggy but reminds me in a good way of Battlefield 42 long ago.  Anyway the bot thing is fine for me at the moment.

Dammit Carl!

Playing this game for its deadliness factor; 2 hits (at most) and you are down; watching your buddy get his melon popped open by a sniper as he stands right next to you is also delightfully jarring.  Also playing mostly with bots at the moment just so I can get the feel of weapons before making a fool out of myself in front of some 11 year old wunderkind in some PvP event.  I dig the lack of HUD, mini map and all that other fluffery that is common with such games.  Playing with what God intended; an AK with a Kobra site and a molotov.

The noises you make as you topple over and bleed out give me pause as they are too close to what I'd say in such an event, but I'm a fat, old crybaby.

All in all, its a decent sort of shooter - not "wow," in the graphics but makes up for it with white-knuckled gunfights.  Bots are adequate.  Wish maps were bigger but then the fights wouldn't be so tense, perhaps.

Biggest gripe I have at this point with the game is my inability to close the game out without having to go to Task Manager to end the game.  From some bits I've seen, this is a common problem that will hopefully get dealt with at some point soon but I'm getting tired of having to do this each and every time I play the game.

MengJiao

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on July 06, 2015, 01:36:16 PM
Playing this game for its deadliness factor; 2 hits (at most) and you are down; watching your buddy get his melon popped open by a sniper as he stands right next to you is also delightfully jarring.  Also playing mostly with bots at the moment just so I can get the feel of weapons before making a fool out of myself in front of some 11 year old wunderkind in some PvP event.  I dig the lack of HUD, mini map and all that other fluffery that is common with such games.  Playing with what God intended; an AK with a Kobra site and a molotov.

The noises you make as you topple over and bleed out give me pause as they are too close to what I'd say in such an event, but I'm a fat, old crybaby.

All in all, its a decent sort of shooter - not "wow," in the graphics but makes up for it with white-knuckled gunfights.  Bots are adequate.  Wish maps were bigger but then the fights wouldn't be so tense, perhaps.

Biggest gripe I have at this point with the game is my inability to close the game out without having to go to Task Manager to end the game.  From some bits I've seen, this is a common problem that will hopefully get dealt with at some point soon but I'm getting tired of having to do this each and every time I play the game.

  I'm not having technical problems with the game -- except maybe that I couldn't finish the training because I couldn't get my weapon to do anything but kind of get stuck against me.  There's a lot I like.  First its like an improved BAT42/Red Orchestra(one).  Second, you can get your RPG and blast things.  Third, the sound ambience (including people saying "Don't get shot in the head, Dude" or whatever and "Ahha, help me they are shooting at me!"  and wheeze gurgle ack) and 4th -- its all pretty fast.

  I'm just going to play with bots.  I know from experience that if I go into multiplayer I'll end up playing way too much.