Limited Time Specials on GOG.com

Started by Greybriar, January 28, 2014, 12:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Greybriar

Keep an eye on GOG.com as they are running a limited-time DRM-FREE TIME MACHINE SALE.

I've already picked up the Zork Anthology for $1.79 and King's Quest 1+2+3 for $2.99 U.S.

The specials don't last long so it's necessary to check GOG's website frequently.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Shelldrake

Seems to be counting up in date - currently at 1986.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Staggerwing

What's with the adding and subtracting seconds to the particular offer's timer? Is it tied into what folks are buying?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Greybriar

Quote from: Staggerwing on January 28, 2014, 08:34:37 PM
What's with the adding and subtracting seconds to the particular offer's timer? Is it tied into what folks are buying?

According to this: "....Each game in the sale is offered for a limited time only, and how long we stay in its year is up to you! Each time you see a new game on sale you can vote to either add or subtract 1 second from the timer. Each time you buy a game, you add 3 seconds to the time of it being on sale...."
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Staggerwing

Ah. Click the little arrows up or down. Wait a bit, then click again, rinse and repeat to hurry up and get to the next sale.  :D
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Mr. Bigglesworth

Going down the list they have all the Ultimas running on current windows. Alone in the Dark 1,2,3 I always wanted to play, tried the demo of one which was quite fun back then.

Lots of good stuff in there. Thanks for bringing up GOG!
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Mr. Bigglesworth

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Nefaro

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on January 30, 2014, 03:24:27 AM
http://www.gog.com/game/great_battles_collectors_edition

Hard to argue with those reviews.

One of my favorite PC wargames. 

I recall having one of the tabletop versions of the system long ago but didn't play it much at the time.  It was probably my young hedonistic days, so it was more my priorities than any fault of the game system.  This computer version made things a helluva lot easier to play, of course.

I think there are one or two oddities on modern OSes but they still play okay.  For instance, you have to scroll the map around to find your next active general after you're finished giving the current one's orders.  The program used to snap the camera view directly to him but now it doesn't on newer versions of Windows.  The active general's flag bobs up and down and the maps aren't terribly large so it's not too bad.

IIRC, there was also another little extra pop-up window that didn't work too well.  Dunno if that was ironed out or just plain disabled (probably the latter) in the GOG version, but I don't think it was all that important anyway.

A fun turn- and phase-based tactical wargame in the ancient period, it's also not as rules heavy as some.

Shelldrake

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition is currently going for $2. Can't argue with that price!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Shelldrake

Just picked up Amnesia on the recommendation of my lab tech - said it was so scarey that he had to stop playing!
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Toonces

Amnesia is excellent.  I never got to the really scary parts, but what I played was pretty good.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

-budd-

Quote from: Shelldrake on January 30, 2014, 09:59:30 PM
Just picked up Amnesia on the recommendation of my lab tech - said it was so scarey that he had to stop playing!

I enjoyed Amnesia, creepy atmosphere and no way to fight back......get used to hiding ;) ......For Godsakes stay out of the water, you'll no what i mean when you get there...enjoy.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Greybriar

I got off light since I already owned many of the games offered during GOG's DRM-Free Time Machine Sale. I bought:
The Zork Anthology for $1.79
King's Quest 1+2+3 for $2.99
Space Quest 1+2+3 for $2.99
Police Quest 1+2+3+4 for $2.99
Serious Sam: The First Encounter for $0.59 (the bargain hunter in me couldn't pass up the 59-cent price tag  ;))

So how did the rest of you fare?
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

bbmike

Quote from: Greybriar on January 31, 2014, 05:20:31 AM
I got off light since I already owned many of the games offered during GOG's DRM-Free Time Machine Sale. I bought:
The Zork Anthology for $1.79
King's Quest 1+2+3 for $2.99
Space Quest 1+2+3 for $2.99
Police Quest 1+2+3+4 for $2.99
Serious Sam: The First Encounter for $0.59 (the bargain hunter in me couldn't pass up the 59-cent price tag  ;))

So how did the rest of you fare?

Yeah, but now they're having Wargaming Weekend! How will we fare now?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Greybriar

Quote from: bbmike on January 31, 2014, 08:28:08 AM
Yeah, but now they're having Wargaming Weekend! How will we fare now?

I am missing four of those titles and might buy Star Wolves and Perimeter for $1.79 each. But I don't really have the time to play them.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.