Just Can't Fix Stupid

Started by bayonetbrant, March 30, 2012, 10:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

the fun starts around the 36sec mark

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Atilla60

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 25, 2015, 04:26:46 PM
the fun starts around the 36sec mark

:2funny:

I don't know.
She's married to her husband. What's wrong with that?
It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

Steelgrave

Considering that the husband says at the end of the clip that "everything that was precious to me was in that garage", I'm thinking maybe the cousin may win her in the end   >:D

BanzaiCat

Hahahahaha that anchorwoman is fat.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Atilla60

It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
- Sir Winston Churchill -

JasonPratt

I love (note: not actually love) how the student identity crisis slid from psychological trauma of being a rape victim, to some kind of equivalent psychological trauma for being a person of color or from a low income family.

Kind of surprised the author didn't make more note of that.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Meanwhile, I was at Amazon yesterday, trying to do a rush research on replacing my office color printer by Friday (for a business presentation Saturday).

Ideally just needed the same printer; but not willing to pay $400 to $650 for a new printer more than ten years old (jeez the price scalping there! But the printer works with Mac OS 10.4, you see; a lot of places like our shop still run programs that need that old OS.)

So, okay, I'll check whether the immediate replacement model, the Officejet Pro 8100, runs on Mac OS 10.4. Never did find an answer to that question, so I gambled (since if 10.5 will run it, maybe the 10.4 drivers are forward compatible) and it'll be here Friday.

But while trying to find an answer to that question, I was paging through the eleven pages of Q&A on the (main) Amazon store page for the printer.

Two regular events in those eleven pages blew my mind -- and I'm not talking about technical ignorance, I don't blame anyone for that. (I was there to solve a technical ignorance problem myself, and I'm not overly ignorant technically!)

1.) The most common type of question was, will this printer run on this operating system? Okay, a perfectly valid question (also, the category I was looking for myself). But I lost track of how many times the question was repeatedly asked and answered, most often for Win 7 but also Win 8. Yes, it works great no problem! But does it work for Win 7? Yep, sure does! How about for Win 7?

It wasn't only a case of people being too lazy or ignorant to click the little hyperlink to check whether someone has asked for that before (and yet not being too lazy or ignorant TO GO TO THE TROUBLE TO SUBMIT THE PUBLIC QUESTION AGAIN!) There were times when the answer to the question had to have been right there on the page looking at them, not yet dropped off into the answer archive. Yet the people asking the question again had to be capable of reading enough to ask the question again, so reading inability couldn't be the reason.

2.) But that wasn't the stupidest thing. No, even worse were the people who apparently felt called by God Himself with the mission and duty and obligation to answer a particular question, as if it had been addressed to them personally, with some variation of, "I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to that question."

:crazy2:

If there had been some instructive level of sarcasm to such an answer, I could have understood it. "I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to that question, but let me check the eleven other pages of Q&A to see if someone already answered it and I'll get back to you with a report perhaps. You wait here until then, you don't have to go looking yourself, I'll take care of it for you."

But no, the respondents always seemed sincerely sorry they didn't know the answer, and so could only give a completely worthless answer.  :uglystupid2:

Though it now occurs to me that I've been pinged before by Amazon polling customers on a product to see if anyone knows the answer to an asked question on a product page. Maybe that explains it, those people REALLY THOUGHT some person (at Amazon? the person asking the question on Amazon?) had personally emailed them asking the question and hoping for an answer from them.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bayonetbrant

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34162336?SThisFB

QuoteA huge pillow fight involving cadets at a prestigious US military academy to mark the end of summer training left at least 30 soldiers injured, US media has reported.
At least 24 cadets were reported to have been left unconscious because pillows were stuffed with hard objects.
One cadet suffered a broken leg, while others had dislocated shoulders.
West Point Academy has insisted that none of the injuries is severe and all cadets have returned to duty.
Details of the injuries sustained in August have emerged in The New York Times, which reported that video of the fight posted online shows crowds of yelling cadets, some wearing body armour as well as helmets, surging together in a central quad.

besilarius

"Never bring a knife to a gun fight."
Moon Mullins, 2/9th.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 05, 2015, 06:38:12 AM
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34162336?SThisFB

QuoteA huge pillow fight involving cadets at a prestigious US military academy to mark the end of summer training left at least 30 soldiers injured, US media has reported.
At least 24 cadets were reported to have been left unconscious because pillows were stuffed with hard objects.
One cadet suffered a broken leg, while others had dislocated shoulders.
West Point Academy has insisted that none of the injuries is severe and all cadets have returned to duty.
Details of the injuries sustained in August have emerged in The New York Times, which reported that video of the fight posted online shows crowds of yelling cadets, some wearing body armour as well as helmets, surging together in a central quad.

The best part of this?  The Duffel Blog had the story THREE YEARS AGO
http://www.duffelblog.com/2012/11/mob-violence-breaks-out-at-west-point-63-wounded/

bayonetbrant

mirth

Someone needs to teach those cadets the correct way to organize a pillow fight

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: bayonetbrant on September 06, 2015, 10:04:36 AM

Awesome!

Although, ironically, West Point may be the only place in the Army where the CSMs don't care what color PT belt you wear. Come to think of it, that fact is probably the root of the whole pillow fight scandal.

bayonetbrant