Hegemony rome: rise of caesar early access

Started by Grim.Reaper, February 05, 2014, 09:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

tgb

Quote from: Nefaro on May 15, 2014, 10:32:27 PM
Quote from: tgb on May 15, 2014, 09:41:58 PM
Yeah, they're calling it feature-complete and ready for prime time, although they are continuing to work on the A.I. and formations, Longbow considers it cooked.  There will still be patches and updates, but not as frequently as before.

I bought it on sale a couple of months ago, but held off on spending any real time with it.  I'll probably dive in over the weekend.

So it' pretty much in Beta now..

If you're going to look at it that way, you might as well say that all games are in perpetual Beta until abandoned by the developer.

Nefaro

Quote from: tgb on May 16, 2014, 02:31:47 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 15, 2014, 10:32:27 PM
Quote from: tgb on May 15, 2014, 09:41:58 PM
Yeah, they're calling it feature-complete and ready for prime time, although they are continuing to work on the A.I. and formations, Longbow considers it cooked.  There will still be patches and updates, but not as frequently as before.

I bought it on sale a couple of months ago, but held off on spending any real time with it.  I'll probably dive in over the weekend.

So it' pretty much in Beta now..

If you're going to look at it that way, you might as well say that all games are in perpetual Beta until abandoned by the developer.

That's kinda the situation with them, isn't it?

I just think about that for Hegemony since it was just now proclaimed to be feature complete.  Which is usually where a Beta starts in order to crush all the bugs left.  Although that term has been used rather loosely lately with all the early access stuff.

They may not term it that way, but that's how I will think about it for awhile based on such a statement.  Either way, I have the patience to wait awhile until it's been patched some more.  I hope they addressed some Cons of the first one.  It's a good game but I want to see a couple facets more refined.

Gusington

Anyone got impressions? How does it compare to the Greek titles?
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

tgb

Quote from: Gusington on May 16, 2014, 08:27:24 AM
Anyone got impressions? How does it compare to the Greek titles?

I've only played a little of the Caesar campaign, so far, and it's a bit more polished in terms of cutscenes, etc, but pretty much plays like the Ancient Greek one, for good and bad. The biggest disappointment to me is that the diplomatic system hasn't changed any - getting truces and alliances is still a matter of spending gold and that's it.  In addition to the story campaign there are 4 different sandbox modes - one using the entire map of Gaul where you can play as any tribe in the game, and 3 more where the map and available tribes are specific to smaller parts of the map - the Alps, Western Gaul, and Brittania.

Your feelings on this is going to depend on how much you liked PoM, because this is largely more of the same.

Gusington

^Thanks tgb. I enjoyed PoM but didn't all-out love it. I was hoping the Roman game would be more of an evolution...
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Dammit.  I had hoped that they would improve the Diplo model.  The constant bribery was just too simplistic for my taste.  I could've sworn they said that they were going to improve it.   :'(

sandman2575

Quote from: Gusington on May 16, 2014, 09:16:40 AM
^Thanks tgb. I enjoyed PoM but didn't all-out love it. I was hoping the Roman game would be more of an evolution...

+1   "Largely more of the same" is disappointing to hear.  The original Hegemony was a pretty brilliant achievement, esp. for a small indy developer, but I did find it frustrating how the game seemed inevitably to devolve into raider-party Whack-A-Mole.

Gusington

^Yeah that's why I ultimately stopped playing, the raiding got annoying.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

I'm surprised its more of the same...especially considering how long this was in development.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Gusington

Me too, surprised and sad. Somebody hold me.

However it is still set in the Roman era which I did more than the Greek era. I'll still get it on sale.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd