Main Menu

Horizon?

Started by son_of_montfort, February 06, 2014, 02:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

son_of_montfort

So, I just noticed a new and what seems to be unbelievable ambitious space 4X game named Horizon emerged out of Early Access today.

From my Steam list, I also noticed that several of you people here have it.

What is this all about? Is it worth a look? Can it possibly live up to what is is claiming it can do? Is this another Pegasus disaster?
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

bayonetbrant

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 06, 2014, 02:39:02 PMWhat is this all about? Is it worth a look? Can it possibly live up to what is is claiming it can do? Is this another Pegasus disaster?

I'm not 100% certain, but it sure did sound like you were just volunteering for a First Impressions article for us...  ;D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers


mikeck

I got it  about eight months ago when it first came out as an early release. at first I kind of liked it but after about 10 minutes I found it to be garbage.  Your choices as to what to put on each planet were the same for every planet but most disturbing the diplomacy was almost an attempt to be humorous. For example one alien said "hey do you know my friend fat Al if you know fat Al, I'll give you a discount." stuff like that was just very offputting. Production value was poor graphics in some parts of it look like old VGA graphics from 1992 just not voice sure you want to pick this one up early release not she can get at a discount I wait till out it was done and get some reviews
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Martok

I've heard some fairly (albeit cautious) positive comments made regarding Horizon by a few people the last couple months.  Sounds like the most recent couple builds have been noticeable improvements over previous iterations. 

Also, I read (I think in an announcement from Iceberg, maybe?) that the game's release had been delayed so that all alien factions could be made playable.  Originally, you could only play as the Humans in Horizon, so this is a good reason to delay the release IMO. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Tpek on February 06, 2014, 02:56:25 PM
http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=5509.0

The last that was updated was September!

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 06, 2014, 02:49:48 PM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 06, 2014, 02:39:02 PMWhat is this all about? Is it worth a look? Can it possibly live up to what is is claiming it can do? Is this another Pegasus disaster?

I'm not 100% certain, but it sure did sound like you were just volunteering for a First Impressions article for us...  ;D

I'm not 100% certain, but it sure did sound like you were going to get me a review code here... ;D
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Anguille

Hi guys,

Just saw that Horizon is on sale (75% discount) until the 21st of september....recommended for 4x addicts. Cheers

http://store.steampowered.com/app/236130/

Boggit

I was excited about this when it first came out, but since its release it has had a lot of bad press. There might be a good reason for the 75% discount. ::)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Labbug

I have playing Horizon for the last two weeks and enjoying it.

Rayfer

Bought this on sale at Steam a few days ago.....$7.50 or something close.  I've put in about 4 hours into a sandbox campaign. So far it has been worth the price. The developers have been doing updates, two were done as recently as July and August of this year. I've gotten my campaign past the initial exploration and colonization phase and have contacted two other races, both of which I've used diplomacy to open up trade.  It has a nice pacing to it, all turn based, even combat, though you can choose to resolve battles with auto combat. The ship design feature is fun too. Nothing new here, no real innovations or advancement of the 4x genre...but a fun game.

Anguille

Quote from: Boggit on September 16, 2015, 10:17:11 AM
I was excited about this when it first came out, but since its release it has had a lot of bad press. There might be a good reason for the 75% discount. ::)
Played the game for about a 100 hours so far...it's very solid and very decent for an indie game.

bbmike

And it has a really nice Star Trek mod that's almost complete.  ::) :P
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

Quote from: bbmike on September 16, 2015, 03:01:33 PM
And it has a really nice Star Trek mod that's almost complete.  ::) :P

Ohhh... now you've done it.  :P

Rayfer

Quote from: Anguille on September 16, 2015, 02:14:25 PM
Quote from: Boggit on September 16, 2015, 10:17:11 AM
I was excited about this when it first came out, but since its release it has had a lot of bad press. There might be a good reason for the 75% discount. ::)
Played the game for about a 100 hours so far...it's very solid and very decent for an indie game.

I'm having a tough time making enough money (or whatever it is they call it) to expand into bigger industries and fleets. I'm financially in the black, but barely so. Any tips on how to get the dollars flowing?

Labbug

The amount of credits you earn depend on your factories and trade and the planets you have colonized.  Try to colonize planets that have abundant resources (some also some have gold or gems associated with them which increases their worth).  Also your research can also be used to increase your credit output and the level of factory you can build. 

Your fleet size is limited by the number of command points you have.  This number depends on the level of logistics you have researched and the number of space stations you have built.