Couch to 5k

Started by BanzaiCat, February 12, 2014, 08:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

I've been doing the Couch to 5k program for the last few weeks.

It's a nine-week program that technically consists of three days each week. I say "technically" because the recommendation is that in a given calendar week, you should do one day on, one day off, with one extra day off. I've not been observing that as several have told me that I just need to proceed at my comfort level.

Today I finished the second day of Week 3. This is 28 minutes on a treadmill with a 5-minute warm-up, 5-minute cool-down, two 1:30 runs and two 3:00 runs mixed in with walking. That's progress, because Week 1 is the same 5 minute warm-up/cool-down with 60 seconds of running and 90 seconds of walking, alternating for 20 minutes.

Day 1 of Week 1 was the hardest, but it amazingly got easier and easier each day. My shins ache, but that's from being in my mid-40s and 60-some-odd pounds overweight, which I've been for a long time. The lowest I've been was 260 and that was three years ago; I was running three miles a day then. Since January 1 I've lost almost 20 pounds but I've only been doing the C25K thing for just over 2 weeks now.

However, running is a bitch. If you keep up with it, there's no problem, but if you take any length of time off from it, each day you do it gets harder to get back into it. When I stopped running a few years back it was just before a vacation and I just never took it up once we got back.

Not sure what all of your experiences are with running programs/training regimens, but I'd be very interested to hear from any of you that might be doing this or have done it before.

I'm registered to do a 5k on Sunday February 23, 11 days from now. There's no way I can 'finish' this program before then, but this was my wife's doing to sign me up for it, so I may as well give it a try. The last 5k I tried to do was a couple of years ago and I was totally out of shape and unprepared for it, so it took me around an hour to finish it. I've been trying to push myself by increasing my pace and that seems to be helping me progress, but any ideas/hints or suggestions would be most welcome.

Gusington

Keep going with it. I do 5 - 5ks a week and have never been healthier. I've been running for about 18 months. The first three months were the hardest but losing the man tits and gut were totally worth it. Plus everything else in my body seems to work better.

If you do stick with it, your metabolism will probably speed up. Try not to gorge yourself on crap to satisfy your growing hunger.  It's really hard to do that. But if you stick to it, it will benefit you for your entire life.

Since starting to run I dropped between 15-20 pounds and have kept it off successfully.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

5Ks are fun. 10Ks start to be a bit of suffering at the end. More precisely at about 8K. At 9K you work yourself into a rage to finish in a good sprint.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

bayonetbrant

Don't forget the donuts in the middle of the race!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Gusington on February 12, 2014, 08:55:35 PM
Keep going with it. I do 5 - 5ks a week and have never been healthier.

When I was last successful with it I did it for about six months. I'd never run ANY distance in my entire life and hated running with a passion. I still do to an extent. I'm actually surprised I decided out of the blue to start doing this and what's funny is I'm actually looking forward to each session.

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth5Ks are fun. 10Ks start to be a bit of suffering at the end. More precisely at about 8K. At 9K you work yourself into a rage to finish in a good sprint.

Since I'm going in short sprints now it's not too bad. When I was running that three miles a day it wasn't much of an issue with me except when I'd look at my progress and go "oh hell, I still have six laps to go" or however many there were. There's really easy ways to talk yourself out of finishing a run; goodness knows I've gone through a lot of them. Music helps, though, and if the right song comes on it helps me push into that rage you're talking about.

I got tired of clicking through songs on my phone to find the right one (I have a Windows phone and there's issues with creating playlists on it), so I just used Audacity to put together a 34-minute compilation of about 10-12 songs, cutting out all the intros and slow parts. It's helped a lot.

Quote from: baonetbrantDon't forget the donuts in the middle of the race!

Dude, I haven't had a donut in three months. I've had exactly one soda since December 31, which for me is nothing short of a miracle as I'm certain half my blood was Coke at that point.

Here's another question for you guys: I'm running on a treadmill. In my mind, that's much easier than running on pavement as it's sort of cheating, because all you're really doing is planting your foot and the belt does most of the work to move your foot back. Then again I've heard that running on pavement is actually easier than running on a treadmill. What do you guys think?

Airborne Rifles

Something i do is listen to audio books while I run. I use the opportunity to listen to books I otherwise wouldn't have time to read and I only allow myself to listen while I'm running.  Been doing this for about four years now and it's completely changed my outlook.

Gusington

I absolutely hate the treadmill and for me its much much more difficult than pavement because its so boring. But with 3 feet of snow on the ground I'm not about to go outside. I save outdoor running for the safer months in spring, summer and fall. And I enjoy it much more because of the scenery (the forest where I run and the female runners). I don't use music or anything because I like to know if anything like a car or bear is behind me :)

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

@ Gus: I figured the treadmill was harder, but that should mean it's easier for me to go outside and run, hopefully.

@ Airborne Rifles: I can't listen to an audiobook while I run/exercise; I've tried now but can't do it. It just doesn't give me the adrenaline rush that I need, when I need it. Maybe once I get acclimated to this and it's not so tough I can go to an audiobook, though.

Gusington

What kind of headphones do you use? I've tried a bunch but none of them stay in as I run. I guess my ear holes are gigantic or something.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I use a set of Bose headphones:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BOEIE2

I got them a couple of jobs ago through some employee appreciation plan thing. They're about a hundred bucks retail, but they're VERY worth it in my opinion as they're shaped perfectly to the ear (mine, anyway). They never fall out from impact, are snug, and have excellent sound quality. My wife bought a set at Sam's Club for $99 a couple of weeks ago.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Yeah, but her b-day is coming up so I thought why not. Plus she's been needing them as her Apple earbuds suck (I hate Apple earbuds, period).

Trust me, my friend. Once you've had Bose, you won't go back.

Staggerwing

There are some good 'round the back of the neck-style bluetooth earphones out there as well. They don't flop around because the neck part keeps them slightly clamped to your head. This is the one I have: http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-S10-HD-Bluetooth-Stereo-Headphones/dp/B004BHCSQC

I got mine for about $30 from Rakuten or Buy.com, whatever the hel they are called now. As one of the amazon customers says in his rating, all the product lit and photos show them upside down on people and they don't fit that way. The connection arms should drop down from the ear and curve back. Just flip the pic above over and voila!
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

^That looks like a potential solution.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

It does look pretty cool.