Couch to 5k

Started by BanzaiCat, February 12, 2014, 08:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arctic Blast

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 16, 2014, 05:48:01 PM
and I'll play soccer, hoops, racquetball, volleyball, you name it all day long.

But just running for the sake of running?  I better be getting laid when I get there.

Indeed. Just running alone bores the crap out of me. I enjoy exercise, but running is just dull.

Mr. Bigglesworth

So is meditation. j/k
You must hate sleeping. "Doctor, I have this near death experience on a recurring basis!"
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Gusington

I also have bad knees...I have had three separate broken knees. Running actually helps them.

And yes running can be boring, especially on a treadmill. But in a forested, hilly area it is beautiful and challenging.

I'm not trying to convince you MD, it's just every reason you have posted so far why you won't do it is one I myself have used until I finally said $%^$ it and started running.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Gusington on February 16, 2014, 08:45:43 PMI also have bad knees...I have had three separate broken knees.

Tell Star to ease the &*#% up, man!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Mr. Bigglesworth

In the battle of Marathon the Greeks ran at the much larger Persian force fast enough to outrun the main weapon of arrows. They ran in 70 lbs of gear. After defeating this much larger force they marched back to Athens to face the Persian ships that had sailed around to try to take the undefended city. They marched back 26 miles the same day of the battle, ready to fight again. The Persians had had enough, they left.

Could any of us do what the Greeks did?

Mr. Bigglesworth

BTW the Spartans were not there, they were ready to join the battle after their devotions to Apollo. The Persian cavalry was away on intelligence the Spartans were busy. The Greek General did not wait.

BanzaiCat

I'm very, very far from being that fit, but I'm better than I was four weeks ago.

Two days ago I did Day 1 of Week 5, which was a 5-minute warm-up, 5-minute run, 3-minute walk, 5-minute run, 3-minute walk, 5-minute run, then 5-minute cool-down walk. I did 4.5 mph for the first two 5-minute runs, then 5 mph for the last one.

Yesterday, being Day 2 of Week 5, I thought I was in for the same thing. The sneaky bastards put in a 5-minute warm-up, then an 8-minute run, 5-minute walk, 8-minute run, the 5-minute cool-down walk. I managed it but I did 4.5 mph for both runs. I pushed that to 5 mph in the last one with about 4 minutes left in the run.

I know that's a slow pace, but considering I started doing 4 mph, 1.5-minute runs and was thoroughly out of breath then, I've improved vastly I think.

Today, though, Day 3 of Week 5, is a 5-minute warm-up walk, then 20 frigging minutes of running, and a 5-minute cool-down walk. I managed two 8s yesterday. Not sure about 20. But I guess I'll find out later this afternoon.  :-\

I'm registered with a 5k this coming Sunday, so I guess it's now or never to see how far I can push myself.

What's funny is how I'm perceiving the run. Before for me, it was ALL about the distance, not the time. When I was running six/seven years ago, I was building up at my own pace and not doing any running programs or plans. I was always cognizant of how FAR I could run without stopping. Now, I'm unaware of it. Doing a 4.5/5-mph pace over 8 minutes - well, my math is bad, but that was nearly a half mile of running non-stop. I'm pretty impressed considering four weeks ago I was doing nothing but sitting on my ass all day, and had done that for years.

Gusington

^Excellent.

That system would be too complicated for me. When I started I ran as fast as I could for as long as I could until I vomited. Eventually I got to a 5k in about 25 minutes. And now I do that 5 times a week!

Vomit can be your friend.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

You keep a jar on your mantle?

Gusington

Yes but not of vomit. Ask Smuck about it.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

Good luck on your 5K run on Sunday Banzai_Cat
Alba gu' brath

BanzaiCat

Thanks, JD.

I managed the 20-minute run yesterday, albeit at a fairly slow 4.2 mph pace. Up till then I'd been doing a 4.5/5 mph pace but I didn't want to hurt myself yesterday. I might have been able to go further. What really gets me is that was about 1.5 miles or running.

JudgeDredd

Slowly slowly catchy monkey.

Better to progress slow - as infuriating as it feels at times - than injure yourself and be off your feet for months
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I haven't ran for decades. In the army I was obviously a prolific runner, but getting out and putting weight on put paid to that.

I would love to get back to it - unfortunately, I think I've been overweight for so long that I've likely worn my joints down to the point that even if I did lose weight, I would do myself a serious injury...I don't think my joints have a lot left.

I started cycling - 5 years ago? - and haven't lost any way. All it's done is peg it...so I go up and down - but within a "range" and don't move from it seemingly. It's purely lack of eating control on my part. I do a fair bit of cycling with a few big rides in the year (60 mile, 75 mile) and cycled across the UK East to West twice...all of which I am very impressed with...but it makes me more mad that I can do those things, I can force myself, at 20 stone, to cycle those distances and yet all the will power in the world seemingly will evade me when I want to eat (normally chocolate or crisps).

Sorry to go off topic - I just piss myself off.

Keep up the good work and good luck. Slow and easy...the finish will come to you.
Alba gu' brath