"They may take our lives, but they will never take our Fridaaaayyyyy!"

Started by undercovergeek, February 21, 2014, 05:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Toonces

But if I'm not playing Wizardry 8, I do plan on playing Wings: Over Flanders Fields (fantastic game!) and Crusader Kings II.

They really nailed it with WOFF.  I'm having some graphical anomalies, but the gameplay is top notch.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Silent Disapproval Robot

I'm staring at the dust-bunny corpse outline of the spot my PC used to occupy.  CPU temps started spiking to 88C last night.  I pulled it apart, checked all the fans, re-seated them, pulled and re-sealed and re-seated the heat sink, and went through the BIOS and made sure fan settings were still where they should be but the thing still overheats.  It's in the shop until Monday at the earliest.

undercovergeek

Quote from: bob48 on February 21, 2014, 02:54:26 PM
Just a shame that the wicked old tax man will want some of it  :(

Aren't REALLY old people exempt?

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 22, 2014, 12:11:20 AM
I'm staring at the dust-bunny corpse outline of the spot my PC used to occupy.  CPU temps started spiking to 88C last night.  I pulled it apart, checked all the fans, re-seated them, pulled and re-sealed and re-seated the heat sink, and went through the BIOS and made sure fan settings were still where they should be but the thing still overheats.  It's in the shop until Monday at the earliest.

Did you clean the thermal paste off the processor & heat sink and put some new stuff on? 

I think the motherboard build quality has dropped in the past few years, even on the premium stuff.  ALL MADE IN CHINA SWEATSHOP!  Been seeing odd behavior out of various ones recently and an older one of mine always had borderline CPU heat issues.  It took lots of trial & error flashing different BIOS versions for it before finding one that was passable - oddly enough it wasn't the latest available for that board.   ???  After that mess, I've sworn off buying Asus unless I'm forced to.  Hell, my new "military grade" fancy MSI board acted a bit squirrely after I first built my latest machine, until an update, and that brand has always been rock solid for me.

The sweatshop labor quality must be steadily dropping.  :P

Tuna

Quote from: Nefaro on February 22, 2014, 08:28:24 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 22, 2014, 12:11:20 AM
I'm staring at the dust-bunny corpse outline of the spot my PC used to occupy.  CPU temps started spiking to 88C last night.  I pulled it apart, checked all the fans, re-seated them, pulled and re-sealed and re-seated the heat sink, and went through the BIOS and made sure fan settings were still where they should be but the thing still overheats.  It's in the shop until Monday at the earliest.

Did you clean the thermal paste off the processor & heat sink and put some new stuff on? 

I think the motherboard build quality has dropped in the past few years, even on the premium stuff.  ALL MADE IN CHINA SWEATSHOP!  Been seeing odd behavior out of various ones recently and an older one of mine always had borderline CPU heat issues.  It took lots of trial & error flashing different BIOS versions for it before finding one that was passable - oddly enough it wasn't the latest available for that board.   ???  After that mess, I've sworn off buying Asus unless I'm forced to.  Hell, my new "military grade" fancy MSI board acted a bit squirrely after I first built my latest machine, until an update, and that brand has always been rock solid for me.

The sweatshop labor quality must be steadily dropping.  :P

Do the fan speeds look ok? Did you hit them with compressed air? My laptop started bluescreening this week... Crash Dumps pointed towards Norton.. removed Norton was still happening.. Crashdumps wouldn't point to anything in particular then. I looked at the system health app and noticed the fans were running high.. I hit them with compressed air, and now, no more crashes, and fan speed varies but stays at a much lower percentage. Nef's thermal paste is a good idea too.. but try to blow out the fans first (since it's 'easier').

mikeck

Quote from: Tuna on February 22, 2014, 12:12:41 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 22, 2014, 08:28:24 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 22, 2014, 12:11:20 AM
I'm staring at the dust-bunny corpse outline of the spot my PC used to occupy.  CPU temps started spiking to 88C last night.  I pulled it apart, checked all the fans, re-seated them, pulled and re-sealed and re-seated the heat sink, and went through the BIOS and made sure fan settings were still where they should be but the thing still overheats.  It's in the shop until Monday at the earliest.

Did you clean the thermal paste off the processor & heat sink and put some new stuff on? 

I think the motherboard build quality has dropped in the past few years, even on the premium stuff.  ALL MADE IN CHINA SWEATSHOP!  Been seeing odd behavior out of various ones recently and an older one of mine always had borderline CPU heat issues.  It took lots of trial & error flashing different BIOS versions for it before finding one that was passable - oddly enough it wasn't the latest available for that board.   ???  After that mess, I've sworn off buying Asus unless I'm forced to.  Hell, my new "military grade" fancy MSI board acted a bit squirrely after I first built my latest machine, until an update, and that brand has always been rock solid for me.

The sweatshop labor quality must be steadily dropping.  :P

Do the fan speeds look ok? Did you hit them with compressed air? My laptop started bluescreening this week... Crash Dumps pointed towards Norton.. removed Norton was still happening.. Crashdumps wouldn't point to anything in particular then. I looked at the system health app and noticed the fans were running high.. I hit them with compressed air, and now, no more crashes, and fan speed varies but stays at a much lower percentage. Nef's thermal paste is a good idea too.. but try to blow out the fans first (since it's 'easier').

Man, my fix it guide is shorter:
1. Turn of computer
2. Turn computer back on
3.  If problem continues, take computer to Naples Computer Repair Inc
4.  Wait for call explaining why you need to pay $300
5. Get computer back
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

bob48

Quote from: undercovergeek on February 22, 2014, 03:34:48 AM
Quote from: bob48 on February 21, 2014, 02:54:26 PM
Just a shame that the wicked old tax man will want some of it  :(

Aren't REALLY old people exempt?

Its the MODERATELY old one's I'm worried about.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

Quote from: bob48 on February 22, 2014, 01:02:50 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on February 22, 2014, 03:34:48 AM
Quote from: bob48 on February 21, 2014, 02:54:26 PM
Just a shame that the wicked old tax man will want some of it  :(

Aren't REALLY old people exempt?

Its the MODERATELY old one's I'm worried about.

nah, youre kids are fine

you?


bwahahahahahahahaha

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

W8taminute

Picked up Farming Simulator 2013 on sale on Steam Friday and I just can't get enough.  Who ever thought that watching grass grow could be so much fun.  No really, I'm serious.  This is one engaging game. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Tuna on February 22, 2014, 12:12:41 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on February 22, 2014, 08:28:24 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on February 22, 2014, 12:11:20 AM
I'm staring at the dust-bunny corpse outline of the spot my PC used to occupy.  CPU temps started spiking to 88C last night.  I pulled it apart, checked all the fans, re-seated them, pulled and re-sealed and re-seated the heat sink, and went through the BIOS and made sure fan settings were still where they should be but the thing still overheats.  It's in the shop until Monday at the earliest.

Did you clean the thermal paste off the processor & heat sink and put some new stuff on? 

I think the motherboard build quality has dropped in the past few years, even on the premium stuff.  ALL MADE IN CHINA SWEATSHOP!  Been seeing odd behavior out of various ones recently and an older one of mine always had borderline CPU heat issues.  It took lots of trial & error flashing different BIOS versions for it before finding one that was passable - oddly enough it wasn't the latest available for that board.   ???  After that mess, I've sworn off buying Asus unless I'm forced to.  Hell, my new "military grade" fancy MSI board acted a bit squirrely after I first built my latest machine, until an update, and that brand has always been rock solid for me.

The sweatshop labor quality must be steadily dropping.  :P

Do the fan speeds look ok? Did you hit them with compressed air? My laptop started bluescreening this week... Crash Dumps pointed towards Norton.. removed Norton was still happening.. Crashdumps wouldn't point to anything in particular then. I looked at the system health app and noticed the fans were running high.. I hit them with compressed air, and now, no more crashes, and fan speed varies but stays at a much lower percentage. Nef's thermal paste is a good idea too.. but try to blow out the fans first (since it's 'easier').

I cleaned the fans and checked the thermal paste.  Both seem OK.  I think it's either a lose connection with the thermistor or an issue with the BIOS as the fans will function normally when I boot up on some occasions.  Other times, I'll boot up and the fans will sit at 25% (idle) until the CPU temp approaches the high alarm and then all kick on at 100%.  For the last couple of days, some boot ups will ass the fans just sit at 25% and not react to temp increases at all.  I

Barthheart

Quote from: W8taminute on February 22, 2014, 07:19:49 PM
Picked up Farming Simulator 2013 on sale on Steam Friday and I just can't get enough.  Who ever thought that watching grass grow could be so much fun.  No really, I'm serious.  This is one engaging game.

Stop drinking and step away from the PC.....  :o

Staggerwing

^No, he's right. Those farming sims have a kind of wistful attraction, as if you could just let all your complicated RL troubles fall away and the only thing you need to worry about is just making stuff grow while you get to play with big machines and occasionally feed the livestock. I actually liked Farm Sim 2011 even better since it has some great scenery you can drive and walk through- lots of coastline, a castle you can explore, and even a mountain pass with an active  railroad going through it.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

I had to do some farm simming when I was a kid.

I suppose these games don't have you castrating squealing hordes piglets en masse, running from angry cattle, or putting injured livestock out of their misery, do they?  :P

Staggerwing

Not so much. It's mostly crops. BTW, in the mid 70's my folks got into the 'farming' thing for a bit as well. Mostly chickens and geese but we had a few sheep and goats for couple of years. The goats and at least one goose were real SOBs and bit/kicked hard. I'll take crops over livestock any day.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys