Sovereignty Crown of Kings weekly spotlights

Started by Lord Zimoa, March 05, 2014, 12:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.


Lord Zimoa

Sovereignty: Crown of Kings weekly spotlight, the realm of: Ariselle

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=175&t=48679


Sovereignty: Crown of Kings weekly spotlight, the realm of: Brogen Hur

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=175&t=48875

Martok

Neutral Human naval powers and mercantilist Dwarves.  What's not to love?  8) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

undercovergeek

love me some dwarves - not sure about their ability to be using magic though

Kushan

#19
Sorry if this has been asked already, is sovereignty going to use random maps or a predefined map? I'm like random maps for replay value but I hope the generator respects the game lore. One of the things that normally irks me in these games is when the lore says a faction lives on an island and is a naval power, and the RNG places them in the middle of a landlocked continent.

Love the art style. One of the few games I plan to purchase day 1 this year.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

FarAway Sooner

The strategic map is the same every time.  Tactical maps are obviously random.

The real test for this game, I think, is whether the tactical combat will be interesting and nuanced, with a good feedback loop between the strategic game?  Otherwise, conquering all those provinces in a generic fantasy-themed Panzer General style assault every turn will get tiresome quickly.

The game looks very intriguing.

Nefaro

Quote from: undercovergeek on March 21, 2014, 08:14:44 AM
love me some dwarves - not sure about their ability to be using magic though

My digital D&D dwarves are often slinging God Magicks (they're Clerics).  ;)  Kinda fun using them as grumpy sorcerors too!

Nefaro

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on March 21, 2014, 08:30:30 AM
The strategic map is the same every time.  Tactical maps are obviously random.

The real test for this game, I think, is whether the tactical combat will be interesting and nuanced, with a good feedback loop between the strategic game?  Otherwise, conquering all those provinces in a generic fantasy-themed Panzer General style assault every turn will get tiresome quickly.

The game looks very intriguing.

Since it looks to have some card-driven gameplay, like some tabletops, I'm hoping that facet is well done too.  That is usually where the gameplay gets mixed up with various random events and such in those types of games.  That is where the variability/replayability will likely have to come from.


Martok

Nice!  The Byzantine Boruvian Empire looks like it'll be a fun challenge.  8) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

PanzersEast

Have to say, after reading the information and looking at the screenshots, I am very interested in this one.  If it is half as fun as Qvadriga, I am all in!


PE

Lord Zimoa

#26
This week's Sovereignty: Crown of Kings Realm Spotlight is on the blasted mines of Cragenwaste...

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=175&t=49151

or

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3581925

Martok

#27
Goodness.  Sounds like I'll be more likely be doing my best to destroy Isengard Cragenwaste than playing them.  :P 


Question on the Exploit Mines spell:  So will that render Wastelands effectively useless once the spell has run its course?  I'm guessing Wastelands start with a crappy Economy anyway (and therefore casting the spell can still be worthwhile)... 


EDIT:  By the way, how many turns does a game last? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces


FarAway Sooner

The faction updates are intriguing.  There's obviously a lot of time and attention spent around the history.

That said, interesting history and backstory will keep a game interesting for the first few hours.  After that, it's all about the game play.  I do hope that, as the game comes closer to release, more details are provided on how tactical combat plays out. 

The comparison to Panzer General is very intriguing.  But, at the end of the day, it only becomes useful if there's an entertaining feedback loop between the strategic map (where you get to research/recruit units and abilities) and the tactical map (where you get to use them).

All the colorful back story in the world won't do much good if all my infantry feels like a 4-3 Medium Infantry or a 2-4 Light Infantry once I start the fighting.