Distant Worlds: Universe annouced!

Started by Lord Zimoa, March 13, 2014, 02:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jack Nastyface

Update:  Game 1 ended rather poorly when my colonies were invaded by zillions of those freakin' Shakturi rodent things.  I was getting ready to start a border war against some of the encroaching bug races when the Shakturi show up and swarm everything I've got.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Martok

Yes, the Shakturi are nothing to sneer at, even on the lower difficulty levels.  About the only "easy" way to beat them is to invade & conquer their homeworld when they're still the Eruktah(sp?) Refugees; otherwise, you're generally in for a rough ride... 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces


Martok

Quote from: spelk on June 30, 2014, 06:46:39 AM
Eurogamer reviewed DW:U and gave it a 7/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-06-27-distant-worlds-universe-review
A pretty decent review, although I'm surprised he scored it only a 7.  Going by how the article reads, I would've expected at least an 8, maybe a 9. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Jack Nastyface

Sigh...
Game 2:  I make a protection deal with Pirates, which I falsely assume will give me time to build up some mining installations to generate income.  Just as I complete Mining station4, the Pirates cancel the protection agreement, come in and raid and destroy everything I have.  With no money, no mines, no defensive ships, research bases or space ports, I decide to call it quits.  Maybe I have better luck next time.
Game 3:  Starts off well, no trouble from neighboring races or pirates.  However, a cluster of four giant kaltors chew through all of my space assets (including 6 poorly armed destroyers...as I decided to research "assault pods" first because I wanted to counter-attack any pirate raids on mining stations).  Defeated, I choose to restart.
Game 4:  So far so good.  I chose to build in order:  one medium space port,  two defense platforms, three research stations, two exploration ships, and one construction ship.  I build a mine on the closest moon, and discover ancient scrolls of warp drive research.  This is looking better.
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Martok

Yikes.  I've not played much in the Age of Shadows yet, but your experiences aren't exactly encouraging.  Here's hoping this latest effort goes better for you! 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bobarossa

Not sure if it's a bug, but every time the pirates rescind the protection order and attack, I just immediately request another one and they accept.  That lets me keep them away until I can build up some defenses. 

Kushan

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on June 30, 2014, 01:41:29 PM
Sigh...
Game 2:  I make a protection deal with Pirates, which I falsely assume will give me time to build up some mining installations to generate income.  Just as I complete Mining station4, the Pirates cancel the protection agreement, come in and raid and destroy everything I have.  With no money, no mines, no defensive ships, research bases or space ports, I decide to call it quits.  Maybe I have better luck next time.
Game 3:  Starts off well, no trouble from neighboring races or pirates.  However, a cluster of four giant kaltors chew through all of my space assets (including 6 poorly armed destroyers...as I decided to research "assault pods" first because I wanted to counter-attack any pirate raids on mining stations).  Defeated, I choose to restart.

What pirate settings are you using? If you set them to Very Few, and Weak, then they will be around the strength they where in the Legends expansion. Which is a way of saying, their a nuisance rather then a real threat they are in Shadows/Universe. You can also turn off "Enable Shadows Story Events" option on the victory conditions screen. It only seems to control a few pre-warp only events, most notably the pirates showing up a few minutes into each game.

You can also turn off "Allow Giant Kaltors at game start" on the same screen. I never play with space monsters so I'm not sure what the best way of dealing with them is. I wish you could enable the legendary creature/pirates separate from the normal space monster, I'd love to be able to fight the silvermist without space slugs and scorpions.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Nefaro

I kinda dig the Space Monsters, in small and relatively distant amounts.  Not good if they're nibbling on your doorstep early in the game though.

Jack Nastyface

I am not sure of all my settings, but I sorta don't just want to nerf the game so much that nothing happens.  I think I selected "few pirates", "distant" and "weak".  I thought that would at least ease the burden of encounters.  Unfortunately in my current game, there are at least six different pirate factions that are knocking on the door.

I think my primary challenge is just trying to figure out all the things going on.  I just had three research stations blow up as the result of suspected sabotage, and I also notice that if I don't research "assault pods" as one of my first weapon techs, the pirates seem to have this and use it against me (they just captured a mining station and a cruiser).  It seems as if there is a "perfect" research tree / mining / ship and fleet build scheme that is just beyond my ken.

I am playing only as the Terrans (maybe that's a mistake) and starting with pre-warp technology.  I actually kind of like this era, where everyone is struggling to figure out how to expand beyond their own system, but obviously the other races benefit from a native AI that optimizes their progress.  I have to learn by trial and error, which I suppose is part of the fun.  As I said, nerfing the game into super easy mode could be done easily enough (massive star grid, few other races, no pirates, etc) but where's the challenge in that.

And now my first colony appears to be upset about something and refuses to pay taxes.  Must be 'mercians...
Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on July 01, 2014, 02:10:40 AM


And now my first colony appears to be upset about something and refuses to pay taxes.  Must be 'mercians...

Mercians? Would that make you Star King Offa?  ;D
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Kushan

Quote from: Jack Nastyface on July 01, 2014, 02:10:40 AM
I think my primary challenge is just trying to figure out all the things going on.  I just had three research stations blow up as the result of suspected sabotage, and I also notice that if I don't research "assault pods" as one of my first weapon techs, the pirates seem to have this and use it against me (they just captured a mining station and a cruiser).  It seems as if there is a "perfect" research tree / mining / ship and fleet build scheme that is just beyond my ken.

I never go for assault pods early on. I normally got for rail guns right at the start. I find the -10% accuracy is more then made up its ability to penetrate shields. Try adding more ah bit modules to your early base designs. Along with troops modules and I think assault pods as well, habitat modules in erase your boarding defense strength.[/quote]
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Nefaro

#178
Quote from: Staggerwing on July 01, 2014, 05:24:09 AM
Quote from: Jack Nastyface on July 01, 2014, 02:10:40 AM


And now my first colony appears to be upset about something and refuses to pay taxes.  Must be 'mercians...

Mercians? Would that make you Star King Offa?  ;D

LOL!

;D


Or Lady Aethelflaed?

OJsDad

Jack, have you applied any of the updates.  The issues you're describing with the pirates I haven't seen so far.  And from what you've stated about the game settings, it doesn't sound like the pirates should be overly aggressive.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.