Bad boys, Bad boys, whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do when Friday comes for you

Started by Jarhead0331, March 27, 2014, 08:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

Really not too sure what I'm going to play this weekend...made some infamous second son and metal gear solid V on the PS4?  Probably some Door Kickers and a little space engineers on PC...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Toonces

F1: 2013 FTW!  I dunno what else.  I have this urge to get back into WitP:AE but I'm trying to decide if it's just a passing phase or not before I commit.

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Sir Slash

While waiting for my Rome 2 mods to update, I got hooked again on the Sicilian Vespers mod for M2TW. So I'll be trying to unite the Christian Kingdoms of Spain and drive out the dreaded Moors. One problem. The dreaded Moors drive back. So by Monday, Spain maybe somewhere on the Rhine. In which case I'll fall back on Skyrim and kill a dragon. That always makes me feel better.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Kushan

I'm going to be playing almost nothing but Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls after my two CE's arrive on Saturday. If need a break from stopping the lord of death; Titanfall (Xbox One), Forza 5, Xenonauts, Command, and Hearthstone are all possibilities as well.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Greybriar

I haven't decided which game I will play this weekend. I'm tired of playing Hearthstone. I've bought a few games from GOG.com, GamersGate, and Matrix, but none of them appeals to me right now. Perhaps a little retro gaming with Master of Magic, Darklands, etc., would be a change of pace until Age of Wonders III goes live.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Rizik6


Nefaro

Quote from: Greybriar on March 27, 2014, 11:28:07 PM
I haven't decided which game I will play this weekend. I'm tired of playing Hearthstone. I've bought a few games from GOG.com, GamersGate, and Matrix, but none of them appeals to me right now. Perhaps a little retro gaming with Master of Magic, Darklands, etc., would be a change of pace until Age of Wonders III goes live.

Do you have Age of Wonders 2/Shadow Magic?  Perhaps you should brush up before you get the newest one?  :D

Nefaro

Quote from: Rizik6 on March 27, 2014, 11:29:49 PM
I'll be playing Diablo 3: ROS.  Great game now, IMO.

Did they finally put out the patch for the Diablo 3 PC?  If so, does it adjust the loot drop levels closer to your character level now?  That low-balling crap pissed me off enough to retire from playing it until that was addressed.

Kushan

Quote from: Nefaro on March 28, 2014, 01:00:55 AM
Quote from: Rizik6 on March 27, 2014, 11:29:49 PM
I'll be playing Diablo 3: ROS.  Great game now, IMO.

Did they finally put out the patch for the Diablo 3 PC?  If so, does it adjust the loot drop levels closer to your character level now?  That low-balling crap pissed me off enough to retire from playing it until that was addressed.

Yes, the loot system has been completely redone. That's not to say you will always get an upgrade every time something drops, but since they have removed the AH, finding gear and crafting are now the only to ways to gear up.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

JudgeDredd

For me it will be F1:2013 with me sitting with 5 points as a Williams driver after two races (15th in Australia and 5th in Malaysia)...China is next.

I think I'm going to give BF4 a good try after giving it an outing last week. It just infuriates me dying regularly (see the ARMA III thread for more on that!)

I'm still trying to get through my campaign in LnL:Heroes of Stalingrad - I've got close (and actually should have won once but for a bug) but cannot progress. Just missing that ONE little thing affects the outcome...that's how tight it is. For example, moving troops without cover, leaving a support weapon on the ground during the rally point, not paying attention to movement routes and having the troops you move join a melee hex instead of going to the house in the next hex

I think I'll also give NASCAR 14 another go. I liked it, but falls short in some areas. That always amazes me...that games come out missing features that have been in games for a couple of decades! You'd think the MINIMUM target would be to give what's been before and add! (you'd also think we'd learn as gamers!)
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Toonces

Ok...

1.  How did you get picked up by Williams, or is that a starting option (I went with Torro Rosso, so I don't remember if there were others).

2.  So what's the deal with Nascar 2014?  I'm sort of kicking myself for not getting 2013 despite the bad reviews because I kind of want to try Nascar, but I'm not sure I want to try it $40 bad if you know what I mean.  2013 would have been a good intro.  Is it worth picking up for SP or not?  I'm not BMS Falcon hardcore on my driving sims so think of it as if a Strike Fighters sim guy would enjoy it.  I may eventually go hard core in driving, but right now I'm totally at the F1:2014 level- that's hard core enough for me if you know what I mean.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

JudgeDredd

Williams was an option at the start. I think there were 3 teams to choose from. From what I recall I was offered Williams, Torro Rosso and I think Sauber.

It may have been to do with the driver training. I presume you did that? Where you try and take an apex correctly, stop within a set distance, get the fastest lap etc...all of which earned you gold, silver or bronze stars...so it might have been linked to that.

As for NASCAR 2014. It's not bad. I used to play NASCAR Racing Season 2003 which was pretty hardcore and this is nowhere near it. I enjoy it, but it is light. I would say on a par (or possibly a bit lighter) than F1 2013. I've not got too far into it so my judgement is not based on any deep gameplay...only did one Daytona race at the moment.

The AI for me seems to be better than in the previous title I mentioned. It doesn't knock you out quite as easily and if it gets knocked out, it doesn't spin on a sixpence and joint he race again. I like the drafting effects...you do notice it and I like how you can actually bump without being thrown off...again like the previous title.

But...I have played that previous title before (NRS2003) and I can't mention specifics...but it is lacking in some features. I'm also not sure alot of the stuff works. I tried Daytona with 100% grille tape and 0% grille tape and there was no noticeable difference in laps and engine temperature was not affected...and that just isn't right.

BUT - if you like the F1 difficulty - if that's where you are at with your simming, then this is a good addition I think. I'm not disappointed

This was what I wrote at SimHQ
Quote
Well...just raced my first race in career mode.

It's actually very enjoyable. I mean really enjoyable. I just done 60 laps at Daytona. The race was close at the start and as is Daytona kind of spaced out over the laps. There were occasional cars where I could draft and the drafting effect is cool and seems to work well, allowing a slingshot but allowing the car behind to stay with you. It seemed to me also that the drafting had "degrees" of effectiveness and the better your line behind the car, the better the draft...I don't know, but it seemed that way.

So I rather enjoyed it.

I wasn't entirely sure about the results or the format. For example I was 16th on the final lap and I didn't see anyone I could've passed (though a car or two may well have pulled in the pits)...but the race finished telling me I was 11th. However, when I went to the garage, it told me I had finished 15th. Also, it said I had qualified 30th when in actual fact I had qualified 4th. And finally when the race format for Daytona was
Practice 1
Qualify
Practice 2
Duel 1
Duel 2
But I only took part in Duel 1. Was Duel 2 not available to me because I only finished 16th? 15th? 11th?

Anyway - that seemed to me to be what I expected from a NASCAR game. I also liked the fact that you could tap the cars in front or keep being tapped in the rear and it didn't make you spin...much like Nascar 2003 Season used to. And that the AI seemed to be aware of where you are. The two accidents in the race were caused by me and my "nervous" driving.

Of course the AI may not be so great in some other races, like Watkins Glen (a road course) or a Bristol (a very short oval).

There are some things I wasn't too keen on....like the pits. When you drive in the AI takes over and then you get the chance to make your selections...but you ONLY get the time from the AI taking over until you box...and it really isn't enough time...or at least it wasn't. Perhaps as you perform races and understand the pit menu better, you'll be able to make your selections quicker. Also there were a couple of accidents but no yellows. I don't know if yellows come out for all accidents, they seemed to for NASCAR 2003 Season...but the two accidents in the race didn't bring out the yellows...though they weren't big pile ups.

I actually don't mind the AI taking control of the car into the pits.

Things I enjoyed
Drafting effect
Graphics overall are pretty good
Racing was good
AI seemed aware of you
Bumping did not result in an automatic spin
Options for setup seemed enough for me
AI taking over at pit entry

Things I'm not sure about
Results and race format
Not enough time to make pit selections

A big thumbs up from me so far.
I soon found out that grille tape made no difference to temperature of engine or lap speeds and that tainted it abit...but the actual racing is enjoyable. And forget my mention of the race positions and qualifying etc...I found out the reason for that and it's a special Daytona thing

I plan to play some more this weekend and if I do, I'll post more impressions if you wish because I can only go on the 1 race day I've raced and the few practice sessions I've tried.
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people

Toonces

Judge-
I saw your over at SimHQ so let me elaborate.

I'm defintitely Strike Fighters in my level of sim racing.

Concentrating on F1, I think the reason I'm so put off from Nascar (N) 2014 is because so many people bag on it.  But so many people bag on F1 2013 as well.

I LOVE F1 2013 so don't get me wrong.   The problems with 2013 are: F1 is a very intense experience.  A moment of inattention can destroy a very long race...
and: it requires super concentration for the whole race.

I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.  But wth Nascar I'm hoping for a slower, more tactical pace of movng my car around that leaves more room for error.

I'm looking for a less stressful racing experience.

Does that make sense?

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Greybriar

Quote from: Nefaro on March 28, 2014, 12:59:13 AM
Do you have Age of Wonders 2/Shadow Magic?  Perhaps you should brush up before you get the newest one?  :D

Yes, and that might be a good choice. It's just that I'm in a "blah" mood and nothing much looks good to me at the moment--I want something new and different.

Age of Wonders Shadow Magic was one of the earliest games I bought from GOG.com.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

JudgeDredd

Toonces

If you like F1 I can't imagine you wouldn't like NASCAR - BUT - that's from a  difficulty perspective...when I say it's lighter I also include in that "easier". Of course the racing is totally different as it's in ovals. Going round and round might not be your cup of tea, but I love NASCAR.

If you are waiting anyway, let me get a few more races under my belt to give you better feedback. One race is difficult to give any depth of reasoning to my post. I'll know more by next weekend...how does that sound?
Alba gu' brath
Jarhead - I hate people