Main Menu

Wargame: Red Dragon

Started by Jarhead0331, March 29, 2014, 10:52:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Nefaro on June 14, 2014, 11:56:20 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 14, 2014, 08:00:49 AM

yes. I indicated that each specialized force would still have a small mix of other units to help balance the force and account for unexpected circumstances.  It may be a good idea to pit two teams against each other... one team who divides the map and one team who divides the roles and see who wins and by what margin.  Care to place a little wager?

I'm not a gambling man at all.  It would come down to who has the best teamwork anyway.

Party pooper.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18


Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 14, 2014, 02:14:15 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on June 14, 2014, 11:56:20 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 14, 2014, 08:00:49 AM

yes. I indicated that each specialized force would still have a small mix of other units to help balance the force and account for unexpected circumstances.  It may be a good idea to pit two teams against each other... one team who divides the map and one team who divides the roles and see who wins and by what margin.  Care to place a little wager?

I'm not a gambling man at all.  It would come down to who has the best teamwork anyway.

Party pooper.

Heh.

I don't think there'd be much in the way of controls available for a proper test but we should definitely get some multiplayer teams together sometime.  Whether we try out the theory or not. 

I've not even played a single battle in Red Dragon yet.  Still locked into other stuff.  Damn weekend sale got me to buy it before I was ready to play!  "Theyyy f*ck you at the drive-thru!"   :buck2:

Edit:  And now that a Steam Summer Sale is imminent, it'll probably be on sale even cheaper at that point.  I was weak.

Toonces

I haven't been able to grasp the campaign mechanics of Red Dragon.  Is it similar to Air Land Battle?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Toonces on June 14, 2014, 04:13:44 PM
I haven't been able to grasp the campaign mechanics of Red Dragon.  Is it similar to Air Land Battle?

Yes, but battle groups are now smaller and specialized

Toonces

So it's a dynamic strategic game, not scripted like EE?  I read a couple of reviews, but the campaign play just didn't sound the same as ALB's for some reason.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

GDS_Starfury

EE's and ALB are different.  I've certainly seen the GC be very non-scripted in ALB.
maybe you should switch off the easy setting.   :coolsmiley:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Toonces

I know EE's and ALB's are different.  I'm trying to determine if RD's is like EE's or ALB's.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

GDS_Starfury

if you want to know the difference between EE, ALB and RD I suggest that you RTFM.   O0  :2funny:
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.


Toonces

I can't believe how fucking hard it is to get a straight, complete answer to this question.  Even Google isn't much more help.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

jomni

#174
Quote from: Toonces on June 14, 2014, 10:57:36 PM
I can't believe how fucking hard it is to get a straight, complete answer to this question.  Even Google isn't much more help.

You know why?  Because people go straight to Multiplayer.  It's a pitty because the ALB campaign mechanic is actually nice.

I will play and let you know.
Update:  It is like ALB based on my early impressions.  But as the previous post said, the units are now specialised.  Armor units are pure armor, air units are pure air, etc.  This means you should keep a bunch of the units in an region to be safe.  I don't like this game mechanic and prefer ALB's Task Forces.

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Toonces on June 14, 2014, 10:57:36 PM
I can't believe how fucking hard it is to get a straight, complete answer to this question.  Even Google isn't much more help.

I already answered your question. The campaign is exactly the same as ALB, with the exception of battle groups. Groups are smaller and specialized, and aircraft have their own groups.

Battles are still 20 minutes, and the maps are smaller - better

Skoop

You know if they added a patch that added the very slow speed to ALB like we have in RD, I would go back and replay all those campaigns.

I bet the future addition to the wargame series will let you use decks to build all the battle groups in the campaign.  That new feature along with the new time control will make this a pretty all around kick ass wargame.  The devs have done a pretty good job evolving this since the ruse game.

Nefaro

I can see the newer campaign system in Red Dragon being better... if there are enough 'specialized' units to go around.  It would effectively allow you to create a custom task force in each zone depending on the mix of units you put there. 

I've not played it yet to see if there are enough to do so, or whether you end up just having to commit such a thin amount that you don't get mixed forces much.

Toonces

Ok, thanks Apocalypse and Jomni.  I do believe I'll pick this up during the summer sale, if not today.   O:-)
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Apocalypse 31

I have 100+ hours in EE and ALB each.

I don't think I've gotten in even 10 hours with RD. The game just got too stale for me. Particularly the terrible logistics system and extremely unrealistic fuel consumption rates. I've operated many of the in-game US vehicles in real life and I'm familiar with their fuel consumption. Wargame misses the mark, especially when certain vehicles can't even drive from the spawn point to the front line without having to refuel.