Storm Eagle Support is Fine

Started by Bismarck, February 15, 2013, 05:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bismarck

Storm Eagle Support has taken some knocks over the years but I had a great experience over the last few days.  Jutland was a casualty of getting a new rig. I contacted Josh Rose and, over two days, walked me through to success.

Giving credit where it's due.
Jim Cobb

Slick Wilhelm

Well, that's certainly great news!

On the other hand, if you need to spend two days helping your customers getting your game to work on their system, is that really a smart DRM scheme choice?

I just can't see how the revenue they would lose from "pirates" stealing a freebie of their game would ever equal the amount of revenue they've lost by alienating their bread & butter clientele.

Bismarck

It wasn't the DRM; it was a corrupt file.  Also, my wife and I were gone over Valentine's. ;)
Jim Cobb

Slick Wilhelm

Good man, Bismarck. Nice to see the wife still has priority on those special days. :)

Gusington

Funny how this pops up now. I am in a dreadnought sorta mood.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Gusington on February 15, 2013, 07:34:30 PM

There is a big debate if Jutland is superior to NWS's Steam and Iron. From what I have read, graphics in Jutland is clearly the winner, but it has a finicky UI and is not as "accurate" or adaptable as Steam and Iron. But I would love to hear more from experts here on that topic (without turning this into a flame-fest about DRM, please).
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Sir Slash

I'm a SAI man full broadsides and ramming speed. Especially as the new campaign add-on is due any day. Jutland & RJW remind me of an old girlfriend, great to look at but dumb as a post. SAI feels like it actually wants me to play it. Jutland was a battle about a naval battle. And I too had a very bad Storm Eagle experience. I hope they've improved their service and they're games.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: Gusington on February 15, 2013, 07:34:30 PM

Have you ever seen a game thread and not immediately wanted to play said game?  ;D

Bismarck

Jim Cobb

Gusington

Saturday morning = dreadnoughts in my house. Like Cheerios. Without the milk and health benefits.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

Quote from: Sir Slash on February 15, 2013, 11:49:16 PM
I'm a SAI man full broadsides and ramming speed. Especially as the new campaign add-on is due any day. Jutland & RJW remind me of an old girlfriend, great to look at but dumb as a post. SAI feels like it actually wants me to play it. Jutland was a battle about a naval battle. And I too had a very bad Storm Eagle experience. I hope they've improved their service and they're games.
Might have to wait a few months, but I'm hoping the Boss or the Kid's will indulge me SAI for my birthday in April - it's not a lot to ask is it? :P

@Sir Slash
In your opinion is the campaign really imminent, or an expression of optimism by the developers? I'm hearing so many good things about SAI's playability and the thought that there will be a campaign (and hopefully more in the future) makes battles take on a new and deeper dimension.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Johnnie

I think Sir Slash has it down perfectly.  Jutland is very nice to look at.  However in any action involving more than 3 or 4 ships, it is virtually impossible to control the action or even to follow what is actually happening. (This aside from the fact that my version hasn't worked for years due to the DRM scheme.)

S&I, while graphically minimalist, allows you to actually play squadron and fleet actions. It also allows you to tweak the level of command control beyond the strictly realistic to give the player more control if desired. But the deciding factors have to be the playability and the historical results (the ultimate realilsm factor.)

Can't resist:  And would you rather be dealing with Chris and a game that actually works and doesn't just stop working, or with Storm Eagle.

Bismarck

I get along with both - but then I get along with everybody except Curtis and Giftzwerg's lackeys.

I can control large Jutland/RGW scenarios by giving commands on the 2D map and switching to 3D to watch the action.
Jim Cobb

mirth

I'll give Jim Rose credit for recent efforts to mend fences with his customer base, but he has years of belligerence to make up for. Personally, I'll never buy from SE again based on his past behavior. There's no trust left.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

Chris posted an announcement last month on the other site about the campaign. Here's the link. Should be out this month or next and looks delicious. The campaign beta was buggy as hell but the SAI team really worked hard to get all the gremlins out and answered all complaints/issues very quickly. This one's a must have for me.  http://forums.navalwarfare.net/showthread.php?2705-STEAM-AND-IRON-CAMPAIGN-EXPANSION-ANNOUNCEMENT   I hope that's right.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.