Elite: Dangerous. I broke down.

Started by Jarhead0331, April 11, 2014, 03:17:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

Been waiting for the smuggling aspect to come on line - I'll jump back in when betas done

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 30, 2015, 07:53:15 AM
Been waiting for the smuggling aspect to come on line - I'll jump back in when betas done

It's really great so far....I've seen plenty of contracts for hauling narcotics, weapons, slaves, etc. and all of them net in between 50,000 and 100,000 credits a run. In some instances you can even double or triple up contracts. I made close to 300,000 credits last night in about 45 minutes with only 3 or 4 runs. It wasn't too easy, but it was still reasonable. When you're making real money, the game is fun and retains purpose. Before, there was no point in playing because making real profit was just too tedious and those expensive ships seemed too far out of reach.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

JudgeDredd

I'll wager I will still lose money  :D
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 30, 2015, 07:12:55 AM
...and since hauling illegals is more of an option now, the missions are also more exciting since there is risk involved.

When did you turn into a "Coyote", JH?   :))

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Nefaro on May 30, 2015, 10:07:12 AM
...and since hauling illegals is more of an option now, the missions are also more exciting since there is risk involved.

See what I did there?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

undercovergeek

Lol well done

Are flying any of the new ships?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 30, 2015, 01:04:24 PM
Lol well done

Are flying any of the new ships?

I actually have not been able to find any of them. I've been to 5 or 6 major hubs in separate systems and I have not seen the new ships in stock. I'll keep looking.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Nefaro

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 30, 2015, 10:53:55 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 30, 2015, 10:07:12 AM

See what I did there?

Probably more appropriate to term the smuggling of illegal aliens on a starship as "space coyote", indeed.    ;D

Staggerwing

I just redeemed my beta backer Steam key and I'm going to try out the Elite Mac client, which is now available. It requires something called 'Mono Framework', which the game asks you to download.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

RooksBailey

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 30, 2015, 08:18:20 AM

It's really great so far....I've seen plenty of contracts for hauling narcotics, weapons, slaves, etc. and all of them net in between 50,000 and 100,000 credits a run. In some instances you can even double or triple up contracts. I made close to 300,000 credits last night in about 45 minutes with only 3 or 4 runs. It wasn't too easy, but it was still reasonable. When you're making real money, the game is fun and retains purpose. Before, there was no point in playing because making real profit was just too tedious and those expensive ships seemed too far out of reach.

I am glad to hear this!  Even though there seems to be a lot of griping on the forums, the bulk of the changes seem really positive (and long overdue?).  I stopped playing Elite once PP was announced because I wanted to wait until I could play with the new toys, so I am really eager to jump back in once PP is released.  Happy to hear I won't be bitterly disappointed.   :)

What is your opinion concerning the ranking timers in PP?  A lot of people are ticked off that ranking resets every week rather than being a gradual accumulation across many weeks (something that would give casual players a chance to compete).  Others say that the weekly reset actually benefits casuals too because every week is a new race to the top.  I can see merits to both sides of the argument, so I'll guess I will just have to try it for myself. 
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

Kushan

Powerplay is now available to the Public

Patch notes can be found Here
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Yskonyn on June 06, 2015, 07:21:48 AM
Any impressions?

I haven't declared for a power, so things aren't that different yet.  A few things I noted, the Galnet is totally revised with a slick new interface and there's a much more robust and interesting selection of missions off the bulletin boards.  There's also a regularly updating list of Community Goals on the Galnet, making it much easier to find out where the action is.

I'm not going to pick a faction until I've got a pretty good idea of the consequences of that action.  They give advantages of a weekly salary and bonuses, but the disadvantage seems to be that you become hostile to the factions that oppose your patron. 

There are also some annoying bugs right now. Primary problem seems to be that Wear and Tear costs ballooned well out of proportion.  My A spec Fer de Lance is at 99% integrity on wear and tear, but the cost to repair that one percent is a bit over 800k credits.  Another percentage and it'd be cheaper to self destruct and rebuy than to repair wear and tear.  So for now I'm hesitant to take my FDL out until the bug is fixed (and it is confirmed to be a bug). 

It definitely looks like an improvement, there's no context, and the powers seem to make it easier for more casual players to earn money.  Getting high up enough with some of the power players can supposedly give a benefit of upwards of 50mil credits a week, just for doing your patron's dirty work.  No idea how much investment it takes to reach that level of benefit though.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

RooksBailey

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 06, 2015, 12:44:37 PM
I haven't declared for a power, so things aren't that different yet.  A few things I noted, the Galnet is totally revised with a slick new interface and there's a much more robust and interesting selection of missions off the bulletin boards.  There's also a regularly updating list of Community Goals on the Galnet, making it much easier to find out where the action is.

Yeah, I really like what they did with Galnet and the BB system.  Those changes are long overdue.

QuoteI'm not going to pick a faction until I've got a pretty good idea of the consequences of that action.  They give advantages of a weekly salary and bonuses, but the disadvantage seems to be that you become hostile to the factions that oppose your patron.

Same for me.  Taking my time with the faction thing.

QuoteThere are also some annoying bugs right now. Primary problem seems to be that Wear and Tear costs ballooned well out of proportion.  My A spec Fer de Lance is at 99% integrity on wear and tear, but the cost to repair that one percent is a bit over 800k credits.  Another percentage and it'd be cheaper to self destruct and rebuy than to repair wear and tear.  So for now I'm hesitant to take my FDL out until the bug is fixed (and it is confirmed to be a bug). 

Yeah, I saw that happening yesterday.  <Sigh>  I was all ready to jump back in but now I have to wait for a fix because that is a really messed up bug.  Plus today I see the servers are kicking people left and right.   >:(  I really wonder why FD decided to kick this big update out the door on a Friday....

QuoteIt definitely looks like an improvement, there's no context, and the powers seem to make it easier for more casual players to earn money.  Getting high up enough with some of the power players can supposedly give a benefit of upwards of 50mil credits a week, just for doing your patron's dirty work.  No idea how much investment it takes to reach that level of benefit though.

From my brief tour, I think FD delivered the goods with this patch.  Once the bugs are squished, I see this adding a much needed kick in the pants to the game.

I wonder what v1.4 will bring us?   :)
"As I understand from your communication, Mr. Engle, you're on the brink of self-destruction. May I shake your hand? A brilliant idea! I speak as one who has destroyed himself a score of times.  I am, Mr. Engle, a veteran corpse. We are all corpses here! This rendezvous is one of the musical graveyards of the town. Caters to zombies hopping around with dead hearts and price tags for souls." - Angels Over Broadway

PanzersEast

I'm jumping back in after having everything wiped from the full release...... I waited for Powerplay to release and now is the time to go back in!  I'm having to relearn my mappings and just overall game play plus the new features in PP. 

PE