Three years of college paid for...

Started by Smuckatelli, February 26, 2012, 09:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

I tried clicking in the link in the OP, but I just get "Sorry Video not found". 

Perhaps that's for the best, though? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

LongBlade

Quote from: Martok on February 27, 2012, 03:12:32 PM

Imagine this: somebody gets income assistance to pay the rent. But he's living with his girlfriend so he doesn't pay rent. So he blows that cash on stuff (N.B. the dude is constantly sniffing his nose - the cynic might suspect coke use). Said dude doesn't understand that you aren't supposed to take money for rent if you don't have to pay the rent. Oh, and he's spent three years in college (to the tune of $22k/year - presumably also from the state). Money misspent? We report, you decide.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Steelgrave

Quote from: LongBlade on February 27, 2012, 03:27:44 PM
Quote from: Martok on February 27, 2012, 03:12:32 PM

Imagine this: somebody gets income assistance to pay the rent. But he's living with his girlfriend so he doesn't pay rent. So he blows that cash on stuff (N.B. the dude is constantly sniffing his nose - the cynic might suspect coke use). Said dude doesn't understand that you aren't supposed to take money for rent if you don't have to pay the rent. Oh, and he's spent three years in college (to the tune of $22k/year - presumably also from the state). Money misspent? We report, you decide.

Of the two, the woman with 15 children saying that "someone needed to be responsible" while pointing her finger at you and me is both maddening and depressing. I mean, seriously....culture war? I think we've lost already. And when the 40% of us who pay for damn near everything run out of money....watch out.

Martok

Yeah, I think I was blissful in my ignorance.  *sigh* 

Ah well.  If having unhappy knowledge being foisted upon me is the price I pay for hanging out with you guys, it's one I willingly pay.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Steelgrave

Quote from: Martok on February 27, 2012, 04:20:21 PM
Yeah, I think I was blissful in my ignorance.  *sigh* 

Ah well.  If having unhappy knowledge being foisted upon me is the price I pay for hanging out with you guys, it's one I willingly pay.  :)

Yeah, since since I started hanging with you guys, I've gotten so smart I can hardly stand it anymore!!!  Fortunately, beer dulls the pain......    8)

Windigo

its funny in an ironic way, only rich nations can afford to help its poor, but in doing so a nation propagates the problem
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

LongBlade

Quote from: Windigo on February 27, 2012, 04:59:53 PM
its funny in an ironic way, only rich nations can afford to help its poor, but in doing so a nation propagates the problem

Yes. If you were interested I could draw you some economic graphs that explain that ;)

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Bayonet_Chris on February 27, 2012, 02:32:49 PM
Quote from: Smuckatelli on February 27, 2012, 12:09:22 PM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 27, 2012, 11:40:06 AM
Mike, Judge Judy is no longer a real judge and she does not represent the American justice system. She is a "reality" TV show, sort of like the "People's Court." She mediates small claims conflicts between people who neither wish to hire a lawyer or appear in actual court. It's all legal pantomime.

Do her rulings have any force?

The show basically trolls small claims courts and offers to pay the settlement to the small claim in exchange for "judging" on TV. So, no - the rulings have no force, the claim has been paid. It's just reality TV.

I thought that the "litigants" sign a contract that they will abide by her rulings. So, in effect, she is a televised mediator.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Bayonet_Chris

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 27, 2012, 07:45:41 PM
Quote from: Bayonet_Chris on February 27, 2012, 02:32:49 PM
Quote from: Smuckatelli on February 27, 2012, 12:09:22 PM
Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 27, 2012, 11:40:06 AM
Mike, Judge Judy is no longer a real judge and she does not represent the American justice system. She is a "reality" TV show, sort of like the "People's Court." She mediates small claims conflicts between people who neither wish to hire a lawyer or appear in actual court. It's all legal pantomime.

Do her rulings have any force?

The show basically trolls small claims courts and offers to pay the settlement to the small claim in exchange for "judging" on TV. So, no - the rulings have no force, the claim has been paid. It's just reality TV.

I thought that the "litigants" sign a contract that they will abide by her rulings. So, in effect, she is a televised mediator.

If by "abide by" you mean they go home not having paid a single dime out of their pockets, then I suppose so.

son_of_montfort

Huh, I thought there was at least some contractual obligation. Funny...

"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Steelgrave

Quote from: son_of_montfort on February 27, 2012, 11:01:24 PM
Huh, I thought there was at least some contractual obligation. Funny...

My understanding, from reading the fine print at the end of the show once upon a time, is that there is a pool of money (3k I think) which starts off divided 50/50 by both sides...BUT...the loser in the trial has his/her share of that pot reduced by whatever amount the judge ends up ruling. So if the loser is ruled against for a thousand, then the winner takes home 2.5k of the pot, the loser gets $500. It's how they get losers with no self-esteem or pride to share their overly-dramatic lives with daytime TV viewers.   :P

Windigo

Quote from: LongBlade on February 27, 2012, 06:54:12 PM
Quote from: Windigo on February 27, 2012, 04:59:53 PM

Yes. If you were interested I could draw you some economic graphs that explain that ;)

I prefer to use just my understanding of human nature, "self-entitlement infects us all"

LongBlade

Quote from: Windigo on February 28, 2012, 02:23:29 AM
I prefer to use just my understanding of human nature, "self-entitlement infects us all"

That works, too.

I'm not trying to goad you here (though I might have been above ;) ).

By drawing graphs it becomes apparent that no matter where you move the subsidy, as soon as it is introduced the is a band around which the defined "poverty line" where there is a disincentive to leave it. Once the entitlement is introduced you are inviting a certain level of abuse.

Interestingly, the discussion of Constitution 101 lays out that our Founding Fathers intended to include some kind of state welfare, albeit severely restricted from what we see from today's out of control spending.

Windigo

Economics is human ecology. It is irrational until you understand human behavior and that we will never be immune from our base nature/instincts.

a graph as you point out will just reinforce the base truth about self-entitlement and how it factors into human ecology

I absolutely agree that we should be independent and self reliant and that the system should start with that, but as our brother's keeper we do have a responsibility to help others..... to a point

Watching that video makes my blood boil - that form of self entitlement is what gives Harley's extreme positions some legitimacy (only some).

The interesting bit is determining what to do about it.....   

LongBlade

Quote from: Windigo on February 28, 2012, 10:29:25 AM
The interesting bit is determining what to do about it.....   

That's the problem. It's taken us nearly a century to get into this problem. It will probably take several generations to unravel it.

There are two alternatives, and both point toward the pendulum swinging in the other direction.

First is an epiphany on the part of the public that we have a problem and need to change. Circumstances suggest that is starting to happen, but they tend to get blurred in the daily tug and pull of politics in addition to vested political interests of all stripes being stacked somewhat against it. (Listen closely and you'll find the Tea Party is largely fiscally oriented and welcomes both left and right.)

The other possibility is unfolding in the Med right now: gradual overreach until the system collapses (a la Glenn Beck predicts). With Greece the people took more and more until there simply weren't enough people to tax to support all the people who took.

Either way the current projected path cannot continue. Change will come, it simply a matter of when and how.