Main Menu

Recent posts

Computer Gaming / Re: Abiotic Factor - a Half-Li...
Last post by Dammit Carl! - Today at 09:48:45 AM
(shakes finger)

Ah, no you don't...not clicking that link there...no siree.
Wargame Design Studio / Modern Campaigns Thread
Last post by rahamy - Today at 09:42:15 AM
Announcing the release of the 4.04 updates for our three NATO vs. Warsaw Pact titles in the Modern Campaigns series:

https://wargameds.com/blogs/news/cold-war-in-europe-modern-campaigns-4-04-updates
Computer Gaming / Re: Ghost of Tshushima coming ...
Last post by Grim.Reaper - Today at 09:31:25 AM
I think you might be over reading into my comments as I don't have a "gripe" with this game.  I simply suggested "minor" improvements for the game that I would personally like to see, regardless of everything else.  People make suggestions all the time and doesn't take away anything from the game being good.  I fully understand the game is about story telling, but doesn't mean I still wouldn't enjoy it if I happened to skip a few things or restarted.  Putting my own desire to restart some times, totally possible I could run into a bug that requires a restart, just simply stating I would love to have an option to skip the prologue for whatever reason I would choose.  Doing the prologue over and over adds nothing to my experience.  I certainly don't plan on restarting a million times, but even a few times takes away multiple hours of time I could be getting on with my journey.

Ultimately, I like when developers provide people with options to enjoy the game whatever way the individual wants.  Reminds me of my distaste for games that lock content behind achievements and progression.  What harm does it do to the developer to include options for me to unlock the content myself and/or skip intros/cut scenes?  I am the only one that would be impacted as I don't suggest doing it for everyone, let me control my own experience.

I never had any intention of derailing this discussion or taking away from what I surely believe will be a good game for me, just was wishing for a few more options.
Last post by Jarhead0331 - Today at 09:15:45 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on Today at 06:51:21 AMNot when you start over multiple times at the start, whether because of some issue and/or learned something you wished you would have done when you first started.  Its not uncommon for me to do restarts in these types of games when I am becoming comfortable with a game. 

Ok, but this isn't really that type of game. In my vast experience with it (maybe 60-70 hours) there is really nothing you can miss while learning that should really be impactful in a negative way on the experience. No real secrets missed, or magical hidden places that are lost forever if you don't explore them early on. The world is, for the most part, entirely open.

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on Today at 06:51:21 AMAnd as for cut scenes, even in some of my first time play throughs I like to skip things that aren't important to me as I just want to get into the action and a lot of games give you that option, although I realize this particular games relies strongly on the story.  Just seems like very easy options for developers to add.

Exactly, this game is all about the story. Not the action. If you have the urge to skip cut scenes from the very beginning, this might not be the game for you. In fact, if you skip them, that is one thing that might cause you to "miss" out on something in your initial play through.

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on Today at 06:51:21 AMWith all that said, never had any concerns about myself enjoying it, just was stating some minor things which I wished would have been included.  I am sure this will be a great game and look forward to playing more this weekend.

Totally cool. I just think its odd to gripe about having to play through it again before you've barely started on the journey for the first time.

Sort of reminds me of this guy "Aaronson" from boot camp. On the first day he raised his hand and asked, "how to I become a senior drill instructor here?"  :ROFL:
Last post by Gusington - Today at 07:56:17 AM
Finished the prologue last night, will be diving deeper this weekend. I love the option to have the dialogue in Japanese with English subtitles. I may play again to try Kurosawa mode  :Nerd:
Last post by Grim.Reaper - Today at 06:51:21 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on Today at 06:37:03 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on Today at 03:57:11 AM
Quote from: Gusington on Yesterday at 07:47:40 PMFiring it up now.

My only minor negatives so far unless I missed something, is the fact you have to play through the entire prologue/tutorial every time you restart a single player campaign.  In addition, I haven't found a way to skip cut scenes yet.  Hoping maybe I am over looking options.

Otherwise, not sure I would ever restart or play through again as I wouldn't want to see all that stuff again, but maybe the game isn't meant to be played more than once.

Bro, I get what you're saying, but the game is absolutely friggin' HUUUUGE! It should take you dozens and dozens and dozens of hours to finish on the first go around. You've just started. Enjoy the ride before getting concerned about what happens after you finish.

This is definitely the high water mark of interactive story telling. It's an experience more than just a game.

For the record, this is the third time I've started from the beginning. No complaints.

Not when you start over multiple times at the start, whether because of some issue and/or learned something you wished you would have done when you first started.  Its not uncommon for me to do restarts in these types of games when I am becoming comfortable with a game.  And as for cut scenes, even in some of my first time play throughs I like to skip things that aren't important to me as I just want to get into the action and a lot of games give you that option, although I realize this particular games relies strongly on the story.  Just seems like very easy options for developers to add.

With all that said, never had any concerns about myself enjoying it, just was stating some minor things which I wished would have been included.  I am sure this will be a great game and look forward to playing more this weekend.
Last post by Jarhead0331 - Today at 06:37:03 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on Today at 03:57:11 AM

My only minor negatives so far unless I missed something, is the fact you have to play through the entire prologue/tutorial every time you restart a single player campaign.  In addition, I haven't found a way to skip cut scenes yet.  Hoping maybe I am over looking options.

Otherwise, not sure I would ever restart or play through again as I wouldn't want to see all that stuff again, but maybe the game isn't meant to be played more than once.

Bro, I get what you're saying, but the game is absolutely friggin' HUUUUGE! It should take you dozens and dozens and dozens of hours to finish on the first go around. You've just started. Enjoy the ride before getting concerned about what happens after you finish.

This is definitely the high water mark of interactive story telling. It's an experience more than just a game.

For the record, this is the third time I've started from the beginning. No complaints.
Last post by Grim.Reaper - Today at 03:57:11 AM

Computer Gaming / Abiotic Factor - a Half-Life i...
Last post by al_infierno - Today at 03:33:28 AM
I'm absolutely addicted to this game.  A love letter to Half-Life that feels like System Shock with co-op with more survival mechanics.  Lots of fun in single player.

You basically play as a member of a Not Black Mesa science team and have to explore through a huge winding facility while you improvise stuff to fight off aliens, robots, and baddie soldiers.  Totally worth the asking price and so far very few issues even in early access.

IMO this one's a must for fans of either Half-Life, System Shock, or survival games in general (especially Project Zomboid)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/427410/Abiotic_Factor/
Last post by Gusington - Yesterday at 07:47:40 PM
Firing it up now.