Main Menu

Recent posts

Wargame Design Studio / Re: WDS Discounts + Game of th...
Last post by rahamy - Today at 08:47:32 AM
New Game of the Week announced, the freshly updated Campaign Leipzig! Read all about it in todays blog post:

https://wargameds.com/blogs/news/game-of-the-week-may-13-19
Computer Gaming / Re: Homeworld 3 Trailer
Last post by Jarhead0331 - Today at 08:04:13 AM
I'm very much enjoying the campaign. Maybe you're a HW purist or something, but I think the game is great. My hands are full managing fleets of interceptors, bombers and frigates, so I'm not sure if my brain could handle any additional complexity. I think it feels right as is.

The one complaint I agree with is fleet management. I'm yet to figure out a good way to do it. Although I organize classes of ships into groups, once they've taken losses and get mixed up in the heat of battle, I've found it to be nearly impossible to keep them organized and ordered. There must be a way to do it, but I haven't figured it out yet.

As far as your criticism of resource collection, I disagree. Those controllers need to be protected. They do get attacked. And since they are off gathering resources, they are often times deployed away from the mothership or the bulk of your combat forces. Since resources are life in this game (as they were in the originals) I find this to be strategic in and of itself.

As far as the comparison to DOW3...I don't get that...like at all. This isn't a MOBA. Not even close.
Computer Gaming / Re: Manor Lords
Last post by Redwolf - Today at 05:36:30 AM
If you drink ale you don't risk contaminated water. Entirely historical.
Computer Gaming / Re: Homeworld 3 Trailer
Last post by Destraex - Today at 05:19:38 AM
We lost a lot of features. Pretty dumbed down. Potential spoilers below... so read at your own peril.

I just finished the campaign (but have not played a skirmish game yet) and I am really not sure why the devs would leave so much out of HW3. I mean I know we lost refuelling from HW1 to HW2 but now we have lost so much more with HW3. The original HWs charms were because they felt very star wars or other sci fi space combat with some neat role play that made you feel like a fleet commander. Now for vets of the series I imagine that we all feel a little disappointed that instead of improving this feeling by giving us some more complex features or at least keeping the older features. We have instead gone backwards again. Each time we have a new homeworld we seem to be getting a simpler product with less to think about and enjoy.

* Resource controllers are your only option and come with 3 harvesters each. This means supply Lines not a thing anymore, harvesters never have to make it back to your capital or later resources controllers when you can afford them. Your resourcing operations are now little self contained and easy to hide. Their impact is limited to them being late game powerhouses in their peak form right off the bat. Everybody is on a level playing field here, no need to manage your operations in any capacity except keeping them alive. There are no supply lines to worry about.

* No "physical" modules to destroy, which means no pinpoint surgical strike raids. Your either grinding the full health bar or don't bother coming.
This means we miss disabling engines, destroying particular fabrication modules to stop the enemy building particular units, destroying missile modules or bothersome turrets and so forth. Capital ships are simply health bar tanks now. You no longer get the feeling that a large ship can take hits and damage without being out of the fight. Limping along fighting bravely and then retreating to repair the modules or rebuild them. That gameplay arc is not part of the game anymore.

* No shipyard. So the slow moving mega capital yard that even a mothership could no build and was so vulnerable because once you found it short of hyperspace it could barely move to escape. Because it needed to be larger than a standard ship. That arc is gone. Which means faster more mobile players that did not bother with a shipyards arc is also gone. Everybody can just build everything from the mothership including battlecruisers.
Perhaps their is a shipyard in skirmish which I have not played yet?

* I have not found a way yet to keep the fleet together come hell or high water apart from leaving passive or neutral orders on, but then I issue a move order and it seems to go to crap as they all race off. I think this is a me problem and I still have to learn in this area and it's possibly my formations or ctrl groupings. But It seems without individual orders carriers hand back and fighters rush in etc. I guess it just seems to be a giant mess as every time you issue an order the units either ignore you or cancel any previous orders and throw away all caution. As I said I think this is a me problem.

* There seems to be no option to close to guns range and so battlecruisers seem to always stand off at missile range. Could it be I am just not seeing the guns fire?

* Special Ability[/b[ spam buttons or "excel spreadsheet stats buttons" seem to have replaced physical mechanics now. I consider this to be more board game abstraction rather than legitimate ways of making an RTS interesting to physically play and watch things happen. I don't mind cloaking abilties because they manifest physically in game and work physically. Over charge and things like that are just fiddley extra buttons to press that may as well be on auto cast.
I will be playing some skirmishes to see if it grows on me, but this shiney new Homeworld toy may only be good for the campaign in the end. This may be another Dawn of War 3.

That's all for now. Trying to gather my thoughts to eventually post as a steam review.
So far I don't mind the game but it's average and compared to the originals underwhelming. A little like Deserts of Kharak, made for the story and little else. I am wondering at the moment how many skirmish maps I will find and have zero interest in "wargames" mode which just seems like a way to get you to press the fancy ability buttons all the time to win rather than to be tactical or strategic.

SPOIILERS

[spoiler]The graphics are great and the story sequences were pretty good quality but I felt like the story was not aimed at me the hiigaran fleet commander and hiigaran civilisation but more some kind of superhero story with far too much emotion and not enough lore. But I liked it over all. It just felt less like homeworld and more like a family drama now. Most of the characters just seemed plain silly. I never felt the competence or responsibility of leadership from them, I did feel the recklessness and emotion though[/spoiler]
Wargaming / Re: World at War 85 - Blood an...
Last post by Grim.Reaper - Today at 03:31:20 AM
The saga continues....received latest update.  The shipping date yet again extends past their expectations.  They indicated printing requires a "few" more weeks and with logistics, that means them receiving the game sometime late July or early August with distribution in August.  Stated a more detailed update would be provided in June.

If this game is actually distributed in August 2024 and that is a "big if" based on the history of the game, it would mark two years since I paid for my pledge of the game.  Believe I never backed anything with this kind of time frame before, along with the near non-existent communications.  This won't stop me from backing things in the future since just about everything else I have done has been a good experience, but I will never back another product from this company again.  Not even so much because of the delay, more so the lack of communication and general weirdness of this campaign so far,

Although I would love to be wrong, I suspect this isn't the last time we hear about another delay and/or change in distribution date.  And before anyone says at least they are communicating, I believe this is the first update since January with more of the same news we have been hearing for a long time.  At least lack of internet or another house move wasn't given as a reason this time:)
Computer Gaming / Re: Manor Lords
Last post by Bardolph - Yesterday at 09:13:04 PM
Sounds historical to me.

Computer Gaming / Re: Ghost of Tshushima coming ...
Last post by Grim.Reaper - Yesterday at 08:25:51 PM
Only a few days left....
Computer Gaming / Re: Campaign Series Vietnam
Last post by Jason Petho - Yesterday at 04:45:59 PM
It was a good session! We went through the latest and greatest, mostly discussing the progress on the Iraqi's. What a fascinating process indeed! After that we discovered a bug with the 1.31 for Vietnam and rolled back a set before we continued on with Hue. It's been a lot of fun playing Hot Seat, but I can see how the NVA are just absolutely brutal to the poor ARVN, even the US Marines, but not as badly. Lessons learned all throughout indeed.

Computer Gaming / Re: Ultimate General: American...
Last post by Grim.Reaper - Yesterday at 02:48:38 PM
Doubt major deal to push code to multiple platforms, especially since they have been pushing the code to the existing platform already for 6-7 months