Dragon Commander is out...today!

Started by Gusington, August 06, 2013, 08:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Jarhead0331

Its shocking how many xxx pictures of gay dragons there are floating around on the web. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Martok

I'm willing to take your word for it, but I'm disturbed you know that in the first place...  :o 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Martok on August 06, 2013, 11:25:13 AM
I'm willing to take your word for it, but I'm disturbed you that in the first place...  :o

Don't be. I was simply conducting research so that I would be prepared, with evidence, to defend my comment.  Th evidence is truly compelling.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Jeez rough crowd. The real target of this thread was SoM. Let's see what he comes back with after his game updates.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

tgb

Quote from: SgtRock on August 06, 2013, 11:50:05 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 06, 2013, 08:50:52 AM
Just doesn't do anything for me.

Me either!

It's a little too......whimsical, I guess, based on the videos I've seen. Plus the RTS aspect turns me off, and I've read that the auto-resolve system is unreliable.  I may pick it up when it hits $5.

mikeck

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

W8taminute

I don't know which way dragons swing but we all missed a very important point to this thread.  Gus called in sick on a day that a new game is out there.  Now that is smart. 

How many of us have done this in our lifetimes?   8)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Gusington on August 06, 2013, 11:51:46 AM
Jeez rough crowd. The real target of this thread was SoM. Let's see what he comes back with after his game updates.

I got about 20 minutes in and so far I'm intrigued. Be aware, the battles are very "clicky," as in Total Annihilation style click-fest. First-tier units are fairly fragile, so you have to be consistently rebuilding and reinforcing. In many ways, largely due to the number of units, the use of capture points, and the reliance on a sole "manpower" resource that grows over time, the RTS portion feels quite a bit like Supreme Commander.

In a sense, that is a good thing. One of my biggest problems with the Total War series of games is that the battles alone take about 30 minutes each, and you can easily be taking 2 hour long turns by the end of the game (unless you let the AI auto-play the battle, which always has mixed results). I don't see this as being a problem in DC, the battles are pretty fast and you can plan to have at least 2-3 of them per turn. I have yet to use a General in combat, so I don't know how that alters the situation.

There is a nice feeling to entering the battle as a (possibly gay, according to JH's extensive "research") dragon. Actually, you are a half-dragon, the product of some decidedly heterosexual sex between your father, the king, and your mother, a dragon in woman's guise. So you jetpack around the battlefield, blasting away with fireballs and using a variety of skills to repair, bolster, or otherwise influence your troops or the battlefield. The dragon, at least initially, is paper thin and can't take a huge amount of abuse (although my limited arrival to the battle drastically turned the tide).

I have yet to get to the political side of the game, you have to conquer more provinces to begin that. This aspect was a big draw for me and I look forward to exploring it.

My one complaint is that there is absolutely no hand holding in the game. No introduction of units and buildings, no introduction to the battlefield, no introduction to research and production (aside from a few small text boxes). It isn't rocket science, but you will stumble a bit at first. Like when I spent all 20 of my initial research points on upgrading my units, only to find out that the same research pool was used by the Wizard in another room to gain more dragon powers. I also found out that you don't get 20 RP per turn, you get 2 at the beginning (depends on provinces controlled). So it will be several turns for me to upgrade my dragon.

More impressions to follow.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Jarhead0331

Quote from: W8taminute on August 06, 2013, 01:01:38 PM
I don't know which way dragons swing but we all missed a very important point to this thread.  Gus called in sick on a day that a new game is out there.  Now that is smart. 

Gus is a civil servant. Slouching is expected and, in many instances, rewarded.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 06, 2013, 01:14:19 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on August 06, 2013, 01:01:38 PM

Gus is a civil servant. Slouching is expected and, in many instances, rewarded.

But are civil servants gay?
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Jarhead0331

Quote from: son_of_montfort on August 06, 2013, 01:15:41 PM

But are civil servants gay?

Some of them.  State agencies are certainly equal opportunity employers.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

LongBlade

I'm still troubled that both dragons and Aquaman are getting a bad rap.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

tgb

I thought I read somewhere that you can only take charge of one battle/turn, and the rest have to be auto-resolved. Can SoM confirm that?