Old World from Soren Johnson

Started by RedArgo, April 14, 2020, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

I don't mean to sound like a broken record but methinks that I will probably lose my first attempt at tutorial 5 due to being obsessed with finding a hot wife for my in game son. 

devoncop & Gus you're right.  There really is a story to be told every turn with this game.  But the way the game presents itself in terms of gameplay mechanics all of these family and governing issues that have to be dealt with doesn't seem annoyingly distracting. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

^I have become overwhelmed at times with all the info, especially if I am playing late at night or after work, etc.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on May 26, 2022, 01:17:37 PM
^I have become overwhelmed at times with all the info, especially if I am playing late at night or after work, etc.

To be fair my own extended family have that effect on me even if its early morning and being retired🙄
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

bobarossa

I have entered spring allergy season  and don't feel mentally up with continuing tutorial 4 while under the influence of antihistamines.  :))

Gusington

Hahaha antihistamines could potentially make everything better - including dealing with real family.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

I don't think I will ever beat this final tutorial mission against Rome. I am leading Rome in points but I just cannot break the stalemate. Maybe I missed something early on in the war and should start again? Or maybe just f it and move on and start an actual game... :/

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Yes maybe just roll a proper game.

You will have learnt about combat which is the point of the tutorial so no great loss...call it an honourable draw 😉

My game has now got to turn 150....and only a single VP in it with Persia on 40 and my Egyotians on 39 with the Romans back on 30, Babylon on 27 and my arch enemies the Greeks on the verge of elimination....the tension is rising !

My last king ruled for over 45 years which helped a ton with Legitimacy and orders after I had been hamstrung by a number of rulers dying young.

Persia is my best buddy diplomatically though my spies have been successfully stealing research from them.... for nearly the whole game Babylon and Persia have been in an alliance which prevents me attacking either of them unless I gat a diplomat leader and I can try allying with Rome....

Pete Dero

Quote from: Gusington on May 26, 2022, 09:39:46 PM
I don't think I will ever beat this final tutorial mission against Rome. I am leading Rome in points but I just cannot break the stalemate. Maybe I missed something early on in the war and should start again? Or maybe just f it and move on and start an actual game... :/

Reminds me of Anno 1800.  Always lost the tutorial.

Might be better to start a normal game than play the tutorial over and over again.

Gusington

^I agree with both of you. I think I will re-start the final tutorial just once more after reading up a bit on it, and then if I still can't win...move on.

Funny you mention Anno 1800 Pete...I want to love that game so badly but that tutorial always kicked my arse as well.

Devon have you tried playing as different factions yet? I'm so curious as to how they compare to each other and how they are the same/different.

In the Total War games a lot of the factions, especially with mods, really felt different over the course of multiple games over the years, it would be great if that was the same here with Old World.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

GibbyG

I beat the last tutorial pretty quickly.  Not sure how.  Not sure why.  But I did!

devoncop

Quote from: GibbyG on May 27, 2022, 08:48:23 AM
I beat the last tutorial pretty quickly.  Not sure how.  Not sure why.  But I did!

Yes I did okay on that one too. It helped me tgat I didnt realise an army would turn up for the Greeks so I had begun building some units already and threw those into the fray when it kicked off too  ;)

Gus the factions do play very differently it seems. Egypt is much more of an economic powerhouse whilst Rome has big advantages with its military and Carthage is strong with its trade and naval abilities and its ability to use mercs.

Having said that I am only just getting to the end of my Egyptian playthrough (turn 154 out of 200) so I will find that out definitively soon ! I finally moved into the lead last turn....44 to 41 over Persia but their armies are swirling around and they may decide that our good relations may have to come to an end !

Gusington

^Awesome. I read (I think on YouTube) that Carthage is an 'advanced faction' and should not be attempted by n00bs like me.

In the final tutorial I am in the lead ahead of Rome but our numbers are just sitting there and not increasing because we are always taking out each other's units, and I am constantly burning down parts of the Roman cities. I can't build up enough steam to totally knock Rome out though and as of my final turn last night they were beginning a counter offensive to take the one city I did manage to get from them!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Sounds like a fine scrap Gus !

You are certainly getting some combat experience. O0

Turn 164 for me and my Egyptians are just 10 points from victory with good relations with Rome,Babylon and Persia so a war looks unlikely which should mean I grab the win.  :)

Looking at  the game settings for "The Good" difficulty it seems AI aggressiveness is set to peaceful which explains why the wars I have fought either I have initiated v Greece or have occured as a result of an event (again v Greece) where I got  attacked.

It has been a really useful first game and the ability of the Egyptians to sweep up most of the collapsing Greek Empire made the difference as I now hold 13 cities and as each reaches a new level of development I get VP's. The city list screen at the top left set of symbols (looks like a house) is REALLY useful as it tells you everything you need to know about your cities including how many years til they gain a new level of development.

Next game I will up the difficulty level ....it nay be much shorter !

Gusington

I wonder what the difficulty level is for these tutorials...the Romans seem pretty pissed off hahaha

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bobarossa

Quote from: Gusington on May 27, 2022, 11:58:13 AM
I wonder what the difficulty level is for these tutorials...the Romans seem pretty pissed off hahaha
[/quote
Since the goal of the scenario is to fight Rome it was probably set to Angry Badger (or its equivalent).