Quote
Ageod announces Ageod's To End All Wars, the latest game using the popular Age Engine.
As the game title suggests, this new strategy game will take place during the Great War, which started exactly a century ago this year.
In End All Wars, you will be able to take command of one of the major alliances which fought for dominance in this brutal conflict. You will take control of the countries, recruiting troops, taking political and diplomatic decisions and manoeuvring your troops to get into the best possible position to break through the enemy defensive lines.
Ageod's To End All Wars will feature more different units and leaders then ever seen before in an Ageod title, immersing you as much as possible in this highly compelling setting of the Great War. On top of that, To End All Wars will also have a host of interface changes and refinements, making it easier to manage your armies and get the information you need to make those strategically important decisions.
Ageod's To End All War is planned to release this year, stay tuned for more information.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3610047
Quote
Developer Cat Rabbit has announced Heroes of Normandie, a fast-paced tactical scale board-game depicting battles fought among the Normandy hedgerows in the summer of 1944, by the kind of German and American heroes we have seen fighting in the war movies of Hollywood's golden age. It is those movies where the inspiration for Heroes of Normandie lies: offering explosive, fast-paced, yet very tactical battles.
The time is summer 1944. The Sun shines on Normandie hedgerows. Gentle wind, fields of bright flowers, and in the background, the romantic staccato of machine gun fire in the morning. In these typical French countryside landscapes, thousands of men are about to fight. And die. Bravely like heroes, or cowardly like wussies. But only heroes really matters. Those you see in Hollywood Golden Age war movies.
Players are able to participate in the Normandy campaign on either the German or American side, or create their own custom scenarios.
Heroes of Normandie will release on iPad and PC later this year.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3610073
Quote
Here at Home of Wargamers, developer Byzantine Productions has announced Pike and Shot a deep strategy game based on the Battle Academy engine. Set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War, Pike and Shot brings the Battle Academy engine to a whole new level.
In the age of Pike and Shot, mighty struggles erupted across Europe for causes religious, political or dynastic. The Thirty Years War raged across Germany and beyond, leaving devastation in its wake, but saw the rise of great commanders such as Count Tilly, Wallenstein and King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden, and rapid developments in battlefield tactics. Musketeers "gave fire" in a duel to the death, pikeman held stolidly against enemy assaults, and cavalry charged to glory or defeat.
Pike and Shot will release later this year for PC, Mac and iPad
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3610080
Quote
The developers of the great surprise of 2013, Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm, have announced the next chapter in this realistic wargaming series.
This new release covers the southern part of the southern of the West-German front in this 'what if' Nato vs. Warsaw Pact conflict. Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm will have all the great features of its predecessor and introduces a host of new elements. New maps, campaigns, scenarios and countries are included, as well as engine improvements. Players will be able to control forces from the US, UK, Soviet Union, West Germany, France, Canada, Czechoslovakia and East-Germany.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm is expect to release early 2015.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3610104
Quote
Today, Hunted Cow presented their upcoming title 'Hell' to the public for the first time. Hell is a turn-based tactical skirmish strategy game developed by award winning developer Hunted Cow in partnership with Slitherine.
Set in a mythical fantasy land you take control of either the 'Order of Light' or the 'Demons of Hell' and battle for supremacy across many different battlefields and environments. The game features stunning visuals and is aimed at both PC and iOS release with cross platform multiplayer functionality. Each unit in 'Hell' has been carefully designed to have a specific role in the battle, with various strengths and weaknesses determined from their unique abilities and traits.
With an epic single player campaign traversing 20 unique levels, do you have what it takes to vanquish the forces of 'Hell'?
Hell is coming to a PC, Mac, or iPad near you later this year.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3610087
Hmm, nothing in there that sounds super exciting to me. Hopefully more information will change that.
I notice the continued lack of Android titles.
Also, the new Distant Worlds will be on Steam.
We've got Boggit on the ground there at HotW and are expecting some dispatches from the front over the next week or so as gets them hammered out.
very nice...
pike and shot could be intersting.
Ageods game will be bought as well
Anguille, Your new avatar is a letdown after the last one. (Although pretty much anything you chose was going to be a letdown 8))
Did they announce a release date for Sovereignity?
Wow 30 years war, World War I game where I get to take the legions of hell and attack people? yeah I'm excited
Quote from: tgb on May 15, 2014, 03:18:22 PM
Did they announce a release date for Sovereignity?
Excellent question!
Quote from: sandman2575 on May 15, 2014, 03:03:37 PM
Anguille, Your new avatar is a letdown after the last one. (Although pretty much anything you chose was going to be a letdown 8))
Ah ah... don't worry, it will come back. People seemed to be just...too distracted. ;)
I am very glad to hear about Flashpoint Campaigns: Southern Storm. One of the things that drives me crazy with WWIII wargames is that for some strange reason after the dev releases the first WWIII title, the follow-up games in the series usually abandons the setting and moves onto another period. Just looks at Wargame: it started with the WWIII and had since moved into a post-Cold War Asia setting. There are so many possible fronts in a WWIII setting that it is a real shame to see games only explore the standard West German front, and then move on to a completely different setting. :( Truth be told, I was already expecting a WWII expansion for Flashpoint. :)
Hell sounds...vaguely interesting. Need more detail.
30YW is definitely good news.
Definitely up for a 30 Years War game. I'm hesitant about it using the BA engine but I may be judging it too harshly. I've only played BA for about an hour once before deciding it wasn't for me.
FC: Southern Front and a AGEOD game about WWI that is less complicated than their current offering are pretty much definite buys for me.
I really hope the developers behind the new Flashpoint game hire an artist. I'm not one for fancy graphics, but it's gotta improve.
Pike & Shot sounds very interesting.
And I nearly always buy AGE games. They're pre-WW2 so it's easy to pull out the card. I always thought of WWI as being pretty difficult to model on an operational or strategic scale, however, so I'm unsure how the AGE engine will handle it. I suppose it was passable with RUS but will probably require a fair amount of modification on the engine and on a per-scenario basis.
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on May 15, 2014, 06:28:11 PM
I really hope the developers behind the new Flashpoint game hire an artist. I'm not one for fancy graphics, but it's gotta improve.
We are changing the UI color scheme for Southern Storm, revamp on map markers, and if we can swing it some improvements to the map art. We are already doing/testing some 3d effects and some other post processing improvements on some new maps. We need some time to work code on the map values system to see if we can do a multi-color pixel ID system. If that works we can look at improved tile art for trees, fields, and buildings (and maybe an artist or outside art support). The main thing is to improve the gameplay and AI, and add features requested by users and also from our internal list. O0
Quote from: Capn Darwin on May 15, 2014, 07:15:07 PM
The main thing is to improve the gameplay and AI, and add features requested by users and also from our internal list.
Will the engine and AI improvements be patched into FC:RS as well?
Quote from: Kushan on May 15, 2014, 08:51:52 PM
Quote from: Capn Darwin on May 15, 2014, 07:15:07 PM
The main thing is to improve the gameplay and AI, and add features requested by users and also from our internal list.
Will the engine and AI improvements be patched into FC:RS as well?
Yeah, please don't pull a Battlefront on us
To End All Wars, Hell and Pike & Shot all interest me verily.
Quote from: Gusington on May 15, 2014, 08:56:41 PM
To End All Wars, Hell and Pike & Shot all interest me verily.
Forsooth, even.
Yeseth.
Quote from: bbmike on May 15, 2014, 03:42:25 PM
Quote from: tgb on May 15, 2014, 03:18:22 PM
Did they announce a release date for Sovereignity?
Excellent question!
Seconded. Want to play this!
Quote from: mikeck on May 15, 2014, 03:20:23 PM
Wow 30 years war, World War I game where I get to take the legions of hell and attack people? yeah I'm excited
All sounds great to me == especially the AGEOD WWI thing. And Tilly gets mentioned anywhere? I'll pay for that and the Mad Halberstadter too.
How is the Ageod WWI game different than the one they already have? The only WWI game I've played is the Battlefront one.
Quote from: Rayfer on May 16, 2014, 02:20:51 PM
How is the Ageod WWI game different than the one they already have? The only WWI game I've played is the Battlefront one.
WWI Gold was a computerized version of Phil Thib's old monster tabletop wargame. But it was coded by a single guy from Italy, not the AGEOD team. They only published it. It doesn't use the AGE system but is a port of the tabletop.
Sounds like AGEOD's new WWI game will be using the usual AGE engine & mechanics.
Quote from: Capn Darwin on May 15, 2014, 07:15:07 PM
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on May 15, 2014, 06:28:11 PM
I really hope the developers behind the new Flashpoint game hire an artist. I'm not one for fancy graphics, but it's gotta improve.
We are changing the UI color scheme for Southern Storm, revamp on map markers, and if we can swing it some improvements to the map art. We are already doing/testing some 3d effects and some other post processing improvements on some new maps. We need some time to work code on the map values system to see if we can do a multi-color pixel ID system. If that works we can look at improved tile art for trees, fields, and buildings (and maybe an artist or outside art support). The main thing is to improve the gameplay and AI, and add features requested by users and also from our internal list. O0
My preference would be engine/feature updates and content. Hopefully features ported back to previous game.
The games graphics with the wonderful mods being turned out are just fine. I say add what you can to make the modders job easier and focus on engine/features and content.
Here's a zoomed out view of plodders new map released today with new urban graphics.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1144.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fo484%2Fronnie8691%2FScreenShot035_zps7b221e90.jpg&hash=29c21b804a6c370801ff22d2d1bdc42e648a69a6)
Here's a shot showing the all the mods i use.
1.the map
2. military style bridge/mine/obstacle markers
3.VP's
4. unit icons.
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1144.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fo484%2Fronnie8691%2FScreenShot034_zps2c68a69c.jpg&hash=3405e5ec12bec1012ce05c582daa0211866a20e9)
Close up
(https://www.grogheads.com/forums/proxy.php?request=http%3A%2F%2Fi1144.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fo484%2Fronnie8691%2FScreenShot038_zps4f8d5d29.jpg&hash=1a24e0365938f245184c19dad7aaa8a7b5ca561e)
We are doing s few things in 2.04 to help modders and players. We have added a Custom folder to the main maps folder. This will allow you to place a set of custom maps in that folder and the game will use those in place of the standard. The same thing is being done for map markers. You can already override the unit sils with images in the national folders and we just added a new [sil name]-S.bmp image override for the Sub Unit Inspector so you can add a different picture for the platform. Plus we made the image size in the SUI larger to show those off.
Maps will always look better hand drawn. No easy way to make a simple tile system compete with that level of hand detailing. We will be looking and testing a newer auto map values system in the coming months to see if we can improve the look of the base tiles in the current system. If that works we can then entertain getting some outside support to do new art for the base maps. Won't be as awesome as the shots below, but it will be highly functional and better looking than the current standard maps. 8)
ETA on 2.04?
Quote from: -budd- on May 17, 2014, 10:32:20 AM
ETA on 2.04?
budd....I really like the map mod you are using as shown in your screenshots.
Quote from: -budd- on May 17, 2014, 09:46:58 AM
The games graphics with the wonderful mods being turned out are just fine. I say add what you can to make the modders job easier and focus on engine/features and content.
I agree. There's some really nice stuff being turned out, much of which is in these screenshots. I've started using these mods too. Conversely there's some people that don't like these at all. I'm with anything that enhances the flexibility to make it look the way you want while continuing to improve the engine and allows MR to crank out more great scenarios to go with the base games.
Quote from: Capn Darwin on May 17, 2014, 10:09:35 AM
Maps will always look better hand drawn. No easy way to make a simple tile system compete with that level of hand detailing. We will be looking and testing a newer auto map values system in the coming months to see if we can improve the look of the base tiles in the current system. If that works we can then entertain getting some outside support to do new art for the base maps. Won't be as awesome as the shots below, but it will be highly functional and better looking than the current standard maps. 8)
As usual, I will go against the grain. I have tried the third-party maps and must say that I find the official FPC maps easier to use. Too often, I find it difficult to know what the altitude, cover, terrain feature (river/lake) extends in a third-party map while I can easily figure it out from the official ones. Of course, I can always hover the mouse over the hex for the details, that must means additional/unnecessary mouse movement. I've tried them all and the official maps deliver the goods to me more effectively than user-made ones.
Quote from: Rayfer on May 17, 2014, 10:48:42 AM
Quote from: -budd- on May 17, 2014, 10:32:20 AM
ETA on 2.04?
budd....I really like the map mod you are using as shown in your screenshots.
Here's the link, http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3559855 he's got 13 done so far.[ Plodders Maps]
Here's a different style ,he has them all done and a winter set also. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3510379 [Williams Maps]
Military style markers http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3594454 [Redmarkus]
Color unit silhouettes . http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3558052 [Papa Hausser]
Counter backrounds http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3553160 [Jack54]
Quote from: Herman Hum on May 17, 2014, 11:16:43 AM
As usual, I will go against the grain. I have tried the third-party maps and must say that I find the official FPC maps easier to use. Too often, I find it difficult to know what the altitude, cover, terrain feature (river/lake) extends in a third-party map while I can easily figure it out from the official ones. Of course, I can always hover the mouse over the hex for the details, that must means additional/unnecessary mouse movement. I've tried them all and the official maps deliver the goods to me more effectively than user-made ones.
I'll admit to a fondness for the default maps myself. I'm trying Plodder's set right now, but something about the quasi-3d nature of them messes with me. I do like the military style markers Budd linked to above, however, over the default symbols.
Now, If I could get topo maps that might be a different story...
Quote from: Nefaro on May 16, 2014, 05:17:42 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on May 16, 2014, 02:20:51 PM
How is the Ageod WWI game different than the one they already have? The only WWI game I've played is the Battlefront one.
WWI Gold was a computerized version of Phil Thib's old monster tabletop wargame. But it was coded by a single guy from Italy, not the AGEOD team. They only published it. It doesn't use the AGE system but is a port of the tabletop.
Sounds like AGEOD's new WWI game will be using the usual AGE engine & mechanics.
WWI Gold is a very different beast compared to To End All Wars. So guys, you're going to have to practise some delayed gratification, but I think you'll find it worth it! - No Starfury! ;) delayed gratification isn't
necessarily a sexual thing! :buck2: :2funny:
Some what surprised there's no news on the new 3D Close Combat game? I hear the next/last Close Combat 2D game(Gateway to Caen) will also be released on Steam.
Too bad no new naval game announcements, maybe they should partner up with Naval Warfare Simulations. I was hoping to hear that they gave Empire of the Fading Suns (Matrix games has the rights) to VR Designs (makers of Advanced Tactics) to try to make something out of it.
Quote from: panzerde on May 18, 2014, 10:56:02 AM
Quote from: Herman Hum on May 17, 2014, 11:16:43 AM
As usual, I will go against the grain. I have tried the third-party maps and must say that I find the official FPC maps easier to use. Too often, I find it difficult to know what the altitude, cover, terrain feature (river/lake) extends in a third-party map while I can easily figure it out from the official ones. Of course, I can always hover the mouse over the hex for the details, that must means additional/unnecessary mouse movement. I've tried them all and the official maps deliver the goods to me more effectively than user-made ones.
I'll admit to a fondness for the default maps myself. I'm trying Plodder's set right now, but something about the quasi-3d nature of them messes with me. I do like the military style markers Budd linked to above, however, over the default symbols.
Now, If I could get topo maps that might be a different story...
I often see water features in the user-maps and cannot figure out if they are cosmetic or actual obstacles. The little streaks of blue might look nice, but it's a pain if a player can't tell if they are a river to be crossed or simply something pretty. I can always tell what is a river/lake and what isn't in the official maps.
Pocket Tactics has two screens of the new 3d engine. looks very much like the old 2d game. tablet versions probable.
Quote from: SgtRock on May 18, 2014, 11:25:23 AM
I hear the next/last Close Combat 2D game(Gateway to Caen) will also be released on Steam.
It's already on Steam
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on May 18, 2014, 10:50:27 PM
Quote from: SgtRock on May 18, 2014, 11:25:23 AM
I hear the next/last Close Combat 2D game(Gateway to Caen) will also be released on Steam.
It's already on Steam
Wow, that was quick! ;D
What's the difference between this and Panther in the Fog besides the Brits?
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on May 18, 2014, 10:50:27 PM
Quote from: SgtRock on May 18, 2014, 11:25:23 AM
I hear the next/last Close Combat 2D game(Gateway to Caen) will also be released on Steam.
It's already on Steam
But apparently not available for sale until June 6th. Was curious of the pricing but I didn't see one listed.
http://www.wargamer.fr/home-of-wargamers-2014-welcome-home/
sneaky peeks
they keep saying WH40K isnt PZC - i dont think it means what they think it means
Baneblades!!!!
Pike and Shot looks great. I want that nice, charcoal UI for Flashpoint Campaigns today. The maps also look like they're doing the same thing with elevations that JTS recently adopted, which is a good thing.
I hope the 30 years war one includes the ECW.
Still searching for a release date for Sovereignty. I'm starting to wonder if it's being pushed back to 2015.
the 'when' section in matrix implies theyre not ready to release it to beta yet
More specifically, here's what one of the developers posted on the Matrix board yesterday"
QuoteFirst of all, the tutorial needs to work properly. Then the game needs to be enjoyable to continue to be played by beta testers. You can sign up when we feel a beta is feasible if you want and test it.
Therefore, we don't have a release date yet.
I wouldn't count on it this year.
Thanks guys. Yeah, that pretty much confirms what I was already starting to suspect.
From Space Spector:
"Sovereignty: Crown of Kings is still in Alpha with an expected release date set to Q3 2014."
http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2014/05/slitherine-sci-fi-and-fantasy-games-what-to-look-for/ (http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2014/05/slitherine-sci-fi-and-fantasy-games-what-to-look-for/)
I will take this as gospel and request time off from work now. ;)
One of the developers posted that there will be an announcement and an application on the Matrix site when they are ready to start beta testing. I wouldn't mind getting into the beta on this one, but given that we're 2/3 of the way through the 2nd quarter of the year, 3rd quarter seems very unlikely.
Agreed. That, combined with all the delays Sovereignty has seen already, gives one a strong sense that releasing it in Q3 would be rushing things.
I know that they can't delay the game forever, but I *really* don't want to see them push this one out the door too soon.
Quote from: Martok on May 23, 2014, 11:23:23 AM
Agreed. That, combined with all the delays Sovereignty has seen already, gives one a strong sense that releasing it in Q3 would be rushing things.
I know that they can't delay the game forever, but I *really* don't want to see them push this one out the door too soon.
Maybe Q3 2104 will be the release date, after all it is the official estimate. I did, however, gain the clear impression from the Developer - Tim van der Moer (Lordz Games Studio) that he is keen to get the game "right" before release. Personally, a later release wouldn't worry me. I'd rather see Tim have the latitude to get the game "spot-on", or as near as, before release. He is creating a game with some really interesting ideas. I'm excited by it, and like you too I hope he is able to get it to the standard he is hoping for on release.
Quote from: panzerde on May 15, 2014, 06:03:16 PM
Definitely up for a 30 Years War game. I'm hesitant about it using the BA engine but I may be judging it too harshly. I've only played BA for about an hour once before deciding it wasn't for me.
FC: Southern Front and a AGEOD game about WWI that is less complicated than their current offering are pretty much definite buys for me.
I came here to say pretty much the same things. I simply could never appreciate the BA games, but I'd love to see what they do with the 30YW and that engine. And I'm stoked about the WW1 AGE game.
Found this on the Strategy Core website about Pike and Shot. It includes a single screenshot. Not sure if it had been posted before or not. http://www.strategycore.co.uk/news/of-piercing-discharge/
On a purely academic note, I'd be interested in what put off those people who couldn't get in to BA. Always looking to improve our games. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to wander OT.
Cheers
Pip
Quote from: Rayfer on May 26, 2014, 09:39:09 AM
Found this on the Strategy Core website about Pike and Shot. It includes a single screenshot. Not sure if it had been posted before or not. http://www.strategycore.co.uk/news/of-piercing-discharge/
The more I see of this the more I want it. Hearing that it's the core of a system rather than a one-off is even more encouraging.
Quote from: PipFromSlitherine on May 26, 2014, 11:21:39 AM
On a purely academic note, I'd be interested in what put off those people who couldn't get in to BA. Always looking to improve our games. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to wander OT.
Cheers
Pip
I didn't care for the cartoonish graphics and the fact that the missions all appeared to be scripted.
Quote from: tgb on May 26, 2014, 11:53:23 AM
Quote from: PipFromSlitherine on May 26, 2014, 11:21:39 AM
On a purely academic note, I'd be interested in what put off those people who couldn't get in to BA. Always looking to improve our games. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to wander OT.
Cheers
Pip
I didn't care for the cartoonish graphics and the fact that the missions all appeared to be scripted.
So you prefer procedurally generated missions?
Cheers
Pip
Quote from: PipFromSlitherine on May 26, 2014, 11:21:39 AM
On a purely academic note, I'd be interested in what put off those people who couldn't get in to BA. Always looking to improve our games. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to wander OT.
In my case I'm not sure there's anything wrong with the game per se, it's just no more my cup of tea than Panzer Korps is. Both games seem too abstract and chess-like to me. Unity of Command is about as far as I can go in that direction before I lose interest. I'm probably exactly NOT the audience for these games.
Having said that I'm probably pretty representative of the Matrix core buyer. I spend a ton of money with Matrix, far more than I do on Steam. I understand the desire to provide games that appeal to a more casual, mainstream gamer, and to branch out to new platforms like tablets. What I hope doesn't happen is for that to become the bulk of what Matrix markets and sells. My local board game store went this road a few years back, selling nothing but games like Settlers, Axis & Allies, card games and Warhammer. Actual wargames have completely disappeared from the shelves. It seems like there's a lot more BA sort of stuff being released than Command Ops sort of stuff, and that is beginning to concern me a little.
QuoteQuoteI didn't care for the cartoonish graphics and the fact that the missions all appeared to be scripted.
QuoteSo you prefer procedurally generated missions?
I rarely play the SP so if you ask me, skip the single player scenarios altogether and release a BA purely multiplayer with tons of *balanced* scenarios...that's the only complaint I have about BA which otherwise is a fantastic game - many MP scenarios are not balanced. At least that's what W8taminute, Hiimori and I think based on our PbEM sessions.
Quote from: panzerde on May 26, 2014, 12:09:25 PM
Quote from: PipFromSlitherine on May 26, 2014, 11:21:39 AM
On a purely academic note, I'd be interested in what put off those people who couldn't get in to BA. Always looking to improve our games. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to wander OT.
In my case I'm not sure there's anything wrong with the game per se, it's just no more my cup of tea than Panzer Korps is. Both games seem too abstract and chess-like to me. Unity of Command is about as far as I can go in that direction before I lose interest. I'm probably exactly NOT the audience for these games.
Having said that I'm probably pretty representative of the Matrix core buyer. I spend a ton of money with Matrix, far more than I do on Steam. I understand the desire to provide games that appeal to a more casual, mainstream gamer, and to branch out to new platforms like tablets. What I hope doesn't happen is for that to become the bulk of what Matrix markets and sells. My local board game store went this road a few years back, selling nothing but games like Settlers, Axis & Allies, card games and Warhammer. Actual wargames have completely disappeared from the shelves. It seems like there's a lot more BA sort of stuff being released than Command Ops sort of stuff, and that is beginning to concern me a little.
I think that the monster hardcore wargames just need the devs to be players of those kinds of games, so you have a tiny number of people who are qualified to make them. They then take a long time to build, as their complexity means the AI is a major task. That said, we have some in the pipeline, so don't despair!
Oddly I think that our assessment of BA is that it is too hardcore :). It's combat model probably requires too much wargamey knowledge to match up with its visuals. BA2 fixes that to some extent.
Cheers
Pip
Quote from: Grimnirsson on May 26, 2014, 12:20:52 PM
QuoteQuoteI didn't care for the cartoonish graphics and the fact that the missions all appeared to be scripted.
QuoteSo you prefer procedurally generated missions?
I rarely play the SP so if you ask me, skip the single player scenarios altogether and release a BA purely multiplayer with tons of *balanced* scenarios...that's the only complaint I have about BA which otherwise is a fantastic game - many MP scenarios are not balanced. At least that's what W8taminute, Hiimori and I think based on our PbEM sessions.
If you can let us know which ones that would be useful. That said, generally Iain has always provided counter tactics on unwinnable missions on the game forums when it has come up. :) But for high level players it's definitely possible that it could come down to one too few infantry etc.
Cheers
Pip
Yes.
Quote from: PipFromSlitherine on May 26, 2014, 12:01:09 PM
Quote from: tgb on May 26, 2014, 11:53:23 AM
Quote from: PipFromSlitherine on May 26, 2014, 11:21:39 AM
On a purely academic note, I'd be interested in what put off those people who couldn't get in to BA. Always looking to improve our games. Feel free to PM me if you don't want to wander OT.
Cheers
Pip
I didn't care for the cartoonish graphics and the fact that the missions all appeared to be scripted.
So you prefer procedurally generated missions?
Cheers
Pip
I definitely wanted the option to run procedurally generated campaigns with varied and somewhat historical force command options. They make me want to play the game more, and start more campaigns, knowing that it will not be the same every time.
The canned missions are okay for some of the extra scripting made possible by specific tailor-made scenarios, but they just make it feel like a disposable 'play once & throw away' game. I get more enjoyment from experiencing the unknown when I start a new randomly generated campaign in any game. Starting the same canned stuff over again just makes it feel more like a puzzle game than a war/strategy game in which you have to react to the unforeseen circumstances as best you can.
Procedurally generated content can vary greatly in quality, however, so I understand when such things take extra time, lots of testing, and cost extra (as an expansion or otherwise). But I highly value it.
QuoteOddly I think that our assessment of BA is that it is too hardcore :). It's combat model probably requires too much wargamey knowledge to match up with its visuals. BA2 fixes that to some extent.
Could you please elaborate on that point? More casual than BA...or what? I hope I'm mistaken...???
Quote from: PipFromSlitherine on May 26, 2014, 12:38:03 PM
Oddly I think that our assessment of BA is that it is too hardcore :). It's combat model probably requires too much wargamey knowledge to match up with its visuals. BA2 fixes that to some extent.
Cheers
Pip
Lol I choked on my coffee reading that!! If BA was considered too hardcore by the devs then...
Quote from: Grimnirsson on May 26, 2014, 01:44:48 PM
QuoteOddly I think that our assessment of BA is that it is too hardcore :). It's combat model probably requires too much wargamey knowledge to match up with its visuals. BA2 fixes that to some extent.
Could you please elaborate on that point? More casual than BA...or what? I hope I'm mistaken...???
Heh - no. The look of BA2 is much less cartoony, to better reflect its nature.
BA1 is probably too approachable looking for the complexity of its model (which is more involved than most people would expect from the look).
Cheers
Pip
I honestly don't get the feeling the BA model is especially complex; though I'm not sure how much it would have helped had I gotten that impression.
Like others above, it felt like a puzzle game to me -- which I suppose fits the idea that it's teaching tactical approaches. (I was okay with the graphics, meant to evoke comic strips.)
Granted a lot of games might as well be a puzzle when playing set maps, Panzer General and its remakes/homages being a good example, but those rarely feel like puzzle games to me. Unity of Command comes closest to feeling like a puzzle game, to me, out of PG-likes, but not quite over the edge. Maybe because of the touches of randomness; the weather often makes or breaks those missions.
It's hard for me to put a finger on why I never played more than a few missions of BA, but hearing people upthread describe it as a puzzle game does seem to strike an appropriate nerve.
Not that I think that's inherently a bad thing, just not what I was looking for I guess. :) The Slither team clearly worked very hard at it, so I hope it and its expansions sold well. I might use it some day to introduce my nieces to WW2 wargaming, and I mean that as a compliment. O0
(Incidentally, I'm pretty sure I've bought at least 80% of the Matrix/Slitherine line over the years, counting sets like Distant Worlds as one property.)
http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2014/05/slitherine-sci-fi-and-fantasy-games-what-to-look-for/
dont think its been posted, and a bit more info for Martok and sovereignity
Quote from: undercovergeek on May 27, 2014, 06:48:57 AM
http://www.spacesector.com/blog/2014/05/slitherine-sci-fi-and-fantasy-games-what-to-look-for/
dont think its been posted, and a bit more info for Martok and sovereignity
Nice! Thanks
Quote from: bob48 on May 19, 2014, 05:30:09 PM
I hope the 30 years war one includes the ECW.
IIRC this is planned DLC. The TYW is coming out first. The other planned DLC is the Renaissance Italian Wars. I will mention more in an upcoming article. It's
very exciting stuff. :)
I always promised my left testicle to whomever came out with a TYW battle game.
To whom do I send it?
one of my staff hasnt got one - im sure hed be grateful
Quote from: Boggit on May 27, 2014, 09:01:37 AM
Quote from: bob48 on May 19, 2014, 05:30:09 PM
I hope the 30 years war one includes the ECW.
IIRC this is planned DLC. The TYW is coming out first. The other planned DLC is the Renaissance Italian Wars. I will mention more in an upcoming article. It's very exciting stuff. :)
Well, I'm excited. TYW sounds fun. ECW sounds interesting. Renaissance Italian Wars sounds spectacular. And (you know) you could get as far as Steinkirk (1692, IIRC) with muskets and Pikes in a Stop the Sun King Before he Plunders the Palatinate again DLC.
Italian wars...starting with the French Invasion in 1495, I guess, and on through the days of Cortez's hero (White hat and white shoes and all) up to Pavia. Hey that's thirty years right there.
Oh! and you could do all those Low Countries battles and shoot Sir Philip Sidney and learn the Art of War with Parma and various Princes of Orange. (another DLC..."Crush the Sea Beggars!")
In case my diffused griping about my indistinct complaints over BA has obscured this, allow me to go back to squeeing over Pike and Shot + planned DLC.
:smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
Pike and Shot's lead designer is Richard Bodley Scott co-designer of the De Bellis Multitudinem (DBM), DBR (Renaissance), and Field of Glory TT rules. Basically what you will be seeing is Renaissance warfare using the new Battle Academy 2 front end, but with its own Field of Glory mechanics under the hood. If it turns out to be anything like I've been led to believe then historical wargamers are going to be very, very happy bunnies indeed! :smitten: Jump in with this one - the water's lovely! ;D
I saw this game at HOW2014, and for me was one of the most exciting games coming out (actually there were quite a few I really liked :)).
Quote from: MengJiao on May 27, 2014, 12:42:23 PM
Quote from: Boggit on May 27, 2014, 09:01:37 AM
Quote from: bob48 on May 19, 2014, 05:30:09 PM
I hope the 30 years war one includes the ECW.
IIRC this is planned DLC. The TYW is coming out first. The other planned DLC is the Renaissance Italian Wars. I will mention more in an upcoming article. It's very exciting stuff. :)
Well, I'm excited. TYW sounds fun. ECW sounds interesting. Renaissance Italian Wars sounds spectacular. And (you know) you could get as far as Steinkirk (1692, IIRC) with muskets and Pikes in a Stop the Sun King Before he Plunders the Palatinate again DLC.
Italian wars...starting with the French Invasion in 1495, I guess, and on through the days of Cortez's hero (White hat and white shoes and all) up to Pavia. Hey that's thirty years right there.
Oh! and you could do all those Low Countries battles and shoot Sir Philip Sidney and learn the Art of War with Parma and various Princes of Orange. (another DLC..."Crush the Sea Beggars!")
IIRC the game is supposed to be very moddable. Whilst stock expansions are planned everything is at a very early stage. I can see no reason - if my memory of the presentation is correct - why you could'nt do these ideas if it wasn't covered by "official" dlc.
http://grogheads.com/?p=4616
Quote from: Boggit on May 28, 2014, 06:39:16 AM
Pike and Shot's lead designer is Richard Bodley Scott co-designer of the De Bellis Multitudinem (DBM), DBR (Renaissance), and Field of Glory TT rules. Basically what you will be seeing is Renaissance warfare using the new Battle Academy 2 front end, but with its own Field of Glory mechanics under the hood. If it turns out to be anything like I've been led to believe then historical wargamers are going to be very, very happy bunnies indeed! :smitten: Jump in with this one - the water's lovely! ;D
I saw this game at HOW2014, and for me was one of the most exciting games coming out (actually there were quite a few I really liked :)).
Is this going to work on PCs? I only played battle academy on an ipad.
BA was originally released for PC, so... sure?
Wait, the Field of Glory designer is working on P&S?!? :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
Pike and Shot is slated for both PC and iPad. The engine does indeed work on both platforms. It will also support the extensive modding and custom campaigns that BA/BA2 supports.
Cheers
Pip
I am throwing money at the screen. Why is Pike and Shot not appearing on my computer?!
^^ Strangely, promising my screen dinner and flowers and licking it produces no more reaction. ???
Quote from: Boggit on May 28, 2014, 06:44:08 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on May 27, 2014, 12:42:23 PM
Quote from: Boggit on May 27, 2014, 09:01:37 AM
Quote from: bob48 on May 19, 2014, 05:30:09 PM
I hope the 30 years war one includes the ECW.
IIRC this is planned DLC. The TYW is coming out first. The other planned DLC is the Renaissance Italian Wars. I will mention more in an upcoming article. It's very exciting stuff. :)
Well, I'm excited. TYW sounds fun. ECW sounds interesting. Renaissance Italian Wars sounds spectacular. And (you know) you could get as far as Steinkirk (1692, IIRC) with muskets and Pikes in a Stop the Sun King Before he Plunders the Palatinate again DLC.
Italian wars...starting with the French Invasion in 1495, I guess, and on through the days of Cortez's hero (White hat and white shoes and all) up to Pavia. Hey that's thirty years right there.
Oh! and you could do all those Low Countries battles and shoot Sir Philip Sidney and learn the Art of War with Parma and various Princes of Orange. (another DLC..."Crush the Sea Beggars!")
IIRC the game is supposed to be very moddable. Whilst stock expansions are planned everything is at a very early stage. I can see no reason - if my memory of the presentation is correct - why you could'nt do these ideas if it wasn't covered by "official" dlc.
Good Plan. RPS has some alpha-eqsque pics of Piccoloimni (not yet bleeding to death in his sumptuous carriage) and Co in " a deliciously unfamiliar setting " (the 30-years-war, perhaps not really all that delicious or even unfamilar to its millions of participants) inthe flarepath down below the tanks and castles:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/30/the-flare-path-slitherincoming/#more-209993
at least I think this is Piccolomini:
Quote from: MengJiao on May 30, 2014, 12:28:49 PM
Quote from: Boggit on May 28, 2014, 06:44:08 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on May 27, 2014, 12:42:23 PM
Quote from: Boggit on May 27, 2014, 09:01:37 AM
Quote from: bob48 on May 19, 2014, 05:30:09 PM
I hope the 30 years war one includes the ECW.
IIRC this is planned DLC. The TYW is coming out first. The other planned DLC is the Renaissance Italian Wars. I will mention more in an upcoming article. It's very exciting stuff. :)
Well, I'm excited. TYW sounds fun. ECW sounds interesting. Renaissance Italian Wars sounds spectacular. And (you know) you could get as far as Steinkirk (1692, IIRC) with muskets and Pikes in a Stop the Sun King Before he Plunders the Palatinate again DLC.
Italian wars...starting with the French Invasion in 1495, I guess, and on through the days of Cortez's hero (White hat and white shoes and all) up to Pavia. Hey that's thirty years right there.
Oh! and you could do all those Low Countries battles and shoot Sir Philip Sidney and learn the Art of War with Parma and various Princes of Orange. (another DLC..."Crush the Sea Beggars!")
IIRC the game is supposed to be very moddable. Whilst stock expansions are planned everything is at a very early stage. I can see no reason - if my memory of the presentation is correct - why you could'nt do these ideas if it wasn't covered by "official" dlc.
Good Plan. RPS has some alpha-eqsque pics of Piccoloimni (not yet bleeding to death in his sumptuous carriage) and Co in " a deliciously unfamiliar setting " (the 30-years-war, perhaps not really all that delicious or even unfamilar to its millions of participants) inthe flarepath down below the tanks and castles:
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/30/the-flare-path-slitherincoming/#more-209993
at least I think this is Piccolomini:
More delicious unfamiliarity:
http://www.slitherine.com/games/pike_shot_pc
Suggests a total of 30 pre-set battles (10 from the 30 years war, 10 from the ECW which would be what: Edgehill, Naseby, Marston Moor..eh? And 10 from the Italian wars which would be Fornovo, Pavia, Marignano, Bocuccio, Cordova's win in 1503, Gaston Foix last battle in 1512?..eh?)
Anyway, plenty of battles.
Those blocks of troops look terrible. Especially with the extra block of 'pikes' sitting on top. :-\
Quote from: Nefaro on May 30, 2014, 01:40:04 PM
Those blocks of troops look terrible. Especially with the extra block of 'pikes' sitting on top. :-\
I know what you mean. On the other hand, that's how battalions were portrayed in engravings from the period. And -- of course -- if you
want nice-looking graphics, for some reason they rarely are used in games featuring events from say 1515. An exception would be the mods to Medieval total War II -- which had a nice ECW mod and a TYW mod that I have not seen.
Some of the images include some visual artifacts that are caused when textures change based on morale or other states, causing the odd black blocks and chunks. This is fixed now but didn't manage to make it in to the version for the event.
Cheers
Pip