New games announced by Matrixgames at The Home of Wargamers

Started by steve58, May 15, 2014, 01:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Capn Darwin

Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on May 15, 2014, 06:28:11 PM
I really hope the developers behind the new Flashpoint game hire an artist. I'm not one for fancy graphics, but it's gotta improve.

We are changing the UI color scheme for Southern Storm, revamp on map markers, and if we can swing it some improvements to the map art. We are already doing/testing some 3d effects and some other post processing improvements on some new maps. We need some time to work code on the map values system to see if we can do a multi-color pixel ID system. If that works we can look at improved tile art for trees, fields, and buildings (and maybe an artist or outside art support). The main thing is to improve the gameplay and  AI, and add features requested by users and also from our internal list.  O0
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Kushan

Quote from: Capn Darwin on May 15, 2014, 07:15:07 PM
The main thing is to improve the gameplay and  AI, and add features requested by users and also from our internal list.

Will the engine and AI improvements be patched into FC:RS as well?
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Kushan on May 15, 2014, 08:51:52 PM
Quote from: Capn Darwin on May 15, 2014, 07:15:07 PM
The main thing is to improve the gameplay and  AI, and add features requested by users and also from our internal list.

Will the engine and AI improvements be patched into FC:RS as well?

Yeah, please don't pull a Battlefront on us

Gusington

To End All Wars, Hell and Pike & Shot all interest me verily.
✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss
 
'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

✡

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

MengJiao

Quote from: mikeck on May 15, 2014, 03:20:23 PM
Wow 30 years war, World War I game where I get to take  the legions of hell and attack people? yeah I'm excited

All sounds great to me == especially the AGEOD WWI thing.  And Tilly gets mentioned anywhere?  I'll pay for that and the Mad Halberstadter too.

Rayfer

How is the Ageod WWI game different than the one they already have? The only WWI game I've played is the Battlefront one.

Nefaro

Quote from: Rayfer on May 16, 2014, 02:20:51 PM
How is the Ageod WWI game different than the one they already have? The only WWI game I've played is the Battlefront one.

WWI Gold was a computerized version of Phil Thib's old monster tabletop wargame.  But it was coded by a single guy from Italy, not the AGEOD team.  They only published it.  It doesn't use the AGE system but is a port of the tabletop. 

Sounds like AGEOD's new WWI game will be using the usual AGE engine & mechanics.

-budd-

Quote from: Capn Darwin on May 15, 2014, 07:15:07 PM
Quote from: Apocalypse 31 on May 15, 2014, 06:28:11 PM
I really hope the developers behind the new Flashpoint game hire an artist. I'm not one for fancy graphics, but it's gotta improve.

We are changing the UI color scheme for Southern Storm, revamp on map markers, and if we can swing it some improvements to the map art. We are already doing/testing some 3d effects and some other post processing improvements on some new maps. We need some time to work code on the map values system to see if we can do a multi-color pixel ID system. If that works we can look at improved tile art for trees, fields, and buildings (and maybe an artist or outside art support). The main thing is to improve the gameplay and  AI, and add features requested by users and also from our internal list.  O0

My preference would be engine/feature updates and content. Hopefully features ported back to previous game.

The games graphics with the wonderful mods being turned out are just fine. I say add what you can to make the modders job easier and focus on engine/features and content.

Here's a zoomed out view of plodders new map released today with new urban graphics.



Here's a shot showing the all the mods i use.
1.the map
2. military style bridge/mine/obstacle markers
3.VP's
4. unit icons.


Close up
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Capn Darwin

We are doing s few things in 2.04 to help modders and players. We have added a Custom folder to the main maps folder. This will allow you to place a set of custom maps in that folder and the game will use those in place of the standard. The same thing is being done for map markers. You can already override the unit sils with images in the national folders and we just added a new [sil name]-S.bmp image override for the Sub Unit Inspector so you can add a different picture for the platform. Plus we made the image size in the SUI larger to show those off.

Maps will always look better hand drawn. No easy way to make a simple tile system compete with that level of hand detailing. We will be looking and testing a newer auto map values system in the coming months to see if we can improve the look of the base tiles in the current system. If that works we can then entertain getting some outside support to do new art for the base maps. Won't be as awesome as the shots below, but it will be highly functional and better looking than the current standard maps.  8)
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

-budd-

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Rayfer

Quote from: -budd- on May 17, 2014, 10:32:20 AM
ETA on 2.04?

budd....I really like the map mod you are using as shown in your screenshots.

Capn Darwin

Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.